Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
... none of which can be practically used to control any informal private "understandings" that Ballmer may have with Elop in regards to such matters...
there is still a risk of getting caught if something is officially announced and the opposite is executed...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
@tzsm98
@mikecomputing

Hes meeting with Intel today to talk about future of Meego
Source:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2380269,00.asp

Also he said "You're going to see a bunch of highly exciting MeeGo announcements today."

^ thats where he is going to save his ***

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
from what i've heard: no. they'll just save the state of an application when they switch. it'll not be multitasking.

From their press release:
Microsoft announced several new Windows Phone 7 features coming in 2011, including a “dramatically enhanced” browser experience based on Internet Explorer 9; additional multitasking capabilities; support for Microsoft Office documents in the cloud; and the addition of Twitter to the People Hub. The expanded capabilities announced today include:

• Copy and paste functionality via first major update, coming in the next month

• Twitter integration directly into the People Hub in 2011

• Support for Office documents in the cloud in 2011

• Dramatically enhanced Web browser experience based on IE9 in 2011

• A new wave of multitasking applications in 2011
The question is whether it'll be multitasking for all apps or for some apps like Apple (probably the latter). From what I understand, the task switching you describe is already present, at least for key functions in the OS.

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
What do you mean by "current situation"? Nokia's last quarter was a real good one and the company is in the blacks by a huge margin. They have lost market share in the smartphone segment but Meego/Qt was supposed to fix that. WP7 has around 3% market share in the high end segment and does not seem to go anywhere but down from there.
MeeGo/Qt is only one year running (Feb 2010)!
Which other OS was completed in one year?

So best strategy would be to work on with Maemo/Qt as current platform for smartphones (improve it for non hackers ;-) ) and develop MeeGo onwards.

Symbian and WP7 are sinking turkeys.

Well, we all know that this would be the thing but MS-people like Elop and others never had striking ideas.

@alcalde

see this page I responded to you last night on the multi tasking
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69892&page=6

The Following User Says Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Nokia have actually started deleting negative comments from their FB page.

I made a comment about a statement they put:

Nokia ‎@Tan, we are looking forward, that is what our Microsoft partnership is all about! :-)

The comment I made was:

"Looking forward but abandoning the existing userbase". Which got deleted.

Go figure.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
2009 Windows had 12% of the smartphone market and in 2010 it had 3%! What do you make of that? WP7 has 1.5% today and does not seem to be going anywhere but down. Nokia is betting on the wrong horse!
1. The only other horse is Android and then the market will be one iPhone and everything else Android. WP7 is like KDE4.0 and Windows Mobile is like KDE 3.5. It's going to take a little bit to get everything that was in the older version into the new one but a rewrite had to be done (unlike the "Symbian is forever" approach Nokia had).

Windows sales dipped because manufacturers stopped making WM6.5 phones and not too many began making WP7 phones. With Nokia, that changes. Nokia sales also dipped in 2009 and 2010 because of the outdated appearance of its software. With WP7 that's also about to change. I just don't see the gloom and doom. Sure it's going to be tough battling Google and Apple, but not any tougher than it was before. The partnership of Nokia and Microsoft definitely makes it a three horse race.

The two stupidest comment I ever seen on here was some kid asking if some one can make an app so the camera door on the N900 would slide open and this:

Originally Posted by sygys View Post
atleast WP7 will get descent silverlight, flash 10 and hardware acceleration support. something maemo never managed.
I'm going for a walk...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Verizon doesnt't believe in nokia-microsoft alliance. They're right but when i read it statement i think that US are very arrogant

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/v...artnership-an/

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
@alcalde

see this page I responded to you last night on the multi tasking
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69892&page=6
Quote from Engadget, to me this seems like true multi-tasking, but I don't have the facts.

Microsoft indicated it didn't previously allow for third-party multitasking due to battery life concerns, but those concerns have been mitigated -- somehow. We're not sure of the API-level details that's letting all this magic happen, but we'll look for those later. All we know right know is that it looks great and we can't wait to try it out for ourselves.

Tags
a hoax, alcalde babble, bla bla bla, micronokiasoft, nokia sux nuts, nokia=epic fail, plan(a-z), plan(t)