Active Topics

I'll be honest up front, when it comes to technology I'm fairly ignorant. However, I'm fairly well off everywhere else. So with that in mind a proposal to the Maemo community:

I am willing to put $500 if someone could develop this on the n900:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nod69aTzsM

This money would could go to app developers in the Maemo community as the Council sees fit, or directly to the creator of such an app.

IN CLEAR SIMPLE TERMS:

I'm asking to be able to play a guitar through the n900 with fairly clean quality as seen on the iPhone. I am putting up $500 to see this done. The $500 can go where the developers would say is best, whether it is to the council as money for needed projects, or to the development of the program itself.

If this is feasable please toss in ideas. However if the N900 does not have the needed hardware, then perhaps other ideas could be submitted.

Last edited by FMP; 2011-02-16 at 04:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FMP For This Useful Post:
JEBUS thats impressive! I didn't think phones could pull this off yet. I would be ALL over that if we had that! Is this just for iOS?

I'm no developer, but ill tell you that that audio jack doo-dad is going to be necessary for connecting instruments to the phone. You better hope it's not proprietary.

To the Mods: I am aware that I need to put forth the idea for review in two places, however as I said I am not very tech savvy. If Someone could direct me through the process I could do it myself.

To anyone that may take this on:

I also found this, which matches what I am looking for and appears to be open source so it should be able to inspire some ideas. I would consider this an example of how the program could work.

Open Stomp

In Response to Guitaroach:

The company that makes the iRig does not seem to care that there have been multiple programs made to utilize the device. As long as people buy the iRig, ikmultimedia doesnt seem to care. I also came across a patch cord that goes directly into the iPhone that seems to be unrelated to the iRig. Also as stated on there own youtube account by ikmultimedia:

Due to the circumstances, I am not able to purchase an iRig device for the app. Is it compatible with a headphone splitter? A device that plugs into the headphone jack of your iPod touch and acts as a duel plug-in for the iPod.
gharroks 1 week ago gharroks 1 week ago

@gharroks Not if you want a decent guitar signal, unfortunately. Guitar input requires impedance matching circuitry like iRig provides in order to get a good signal in since it is not a line-level input.

ikmultimedia 1 week ago

In other words, iRig is not mandatory, but it helps.

Last edited by FMP; 2011-02-16 at 07:11.