Originally Posted by chowdahhead View Post
It's open source under the GPL3, so if truly threatened, it could be forked by the QT community, like Openoffice. The problem is that QT would lose it's corporate sponsorship, so development won't likely be as active. But I don't think QT or KDE are at any risk at all from all of this.
I am not disappointed by Nokia's this decision. Moreover I am excited about it. I take it as Nokia adding 1 more OS to its family after Symbian, Qt, and MeeGo.

It would be interesting to see another OS (WP7) with Nokia and how it drives the competition in the market.
Looking forward to it guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinachan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Giving us _amaaaazing_ bing
It's so "amazing" that fails to index many sites indexed by google. Try to search for some really rare words and compare the results. Google usually will beat Bing by 2 times more results or so and much faster indexing.

And if you happen to create your own web site and then bother self with access logs analisys, you will see that Google learns about your site quickly and then re-indexing it on a regular basis. But hey, where you are, crawlers from bing? Looks like Google beats bing to the hell when it comes to infrastructure capable of indexing things anyhow quickly. And since web is a dynamic thing, bing really sucks. They're such a pathetic losers that Google even caught 'em copying their search results. It's obvious that you -> google search is faster than you -> bing -> google search, and it's unlikely that Bing "proxy" could be some privacy enhancement .

So, why I should use this third-rate service? Just because MS paid to Nokia? Hardly my fault - I do not want to use third-rate services just because Nokia wants this.

Last edited by PowerUser; 2011-02-18 at 11:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to PowerUser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think the answer to Nokia's MeeGo decision lies in the past.

Will they continue the MeeGo push?

Look at what has come out of maemo the past 4+ years. Has the FOSS community utilized the device and further its content/capability in alignment with market's interest?

The answer is no. (general market acceptance, number of apps available in ovi, etc)

They will clearly see this as a bad investment.

MeeGo, is a different animal of course.. with Intel's involvement and whatnot. But Nokia is not part of it anymore... (are they?).

So I see this as Nokia saying that the MeeGo/maemo6 device will be the first and maybe last device, depending on how it performs.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-02-18 at 12:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Bing is the DEFAULT search. You can still surrender privacy to Google as opposed to Nokia or Microsoft. How would it look if Android used Bing? It's their engine and it's only fair it uses it. What vote of confidence would it be for WP to gave default Google?

And, personally, I use both because Google has larger idexes, but Bing doesn't disallow my use as a scraper.

Why do people feel the need to separate in red and blue teams and kick each other? Why one or the other? Why not the best of both worlds?

And why insist in calling other's choice third rate? Did it ever occur toy you that other people's needs could be different? It has downsides and upsides. If it didn't, you's be crying it was a poor copy and they work together and they stole the indexes and and and. Oh wait.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Look at what has come out of maemo the past 4+ years.
5+ going on 6. The project opened its doors on May 2005 and devices started selling in November 2005.

Has the FOSS community utilized the device and further its content/capability in alignment with market's interest?
What on earth does "market's interest" mean? But yes, the FOSS community has absolutely furthered the content and capability of Maemo devices.

The answer is no. (general market acceptance
The FOSS community isn't responsible for vendors' marketing.

number of apps available in ovi, etc)
The FOSS community doesn't publish on Ovi, for many good reasons. Besides, Ovi didn't even accept Maemo apps until last year.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
This is an interesting read, even though it cannot be verified:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/7..._products.html

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
This is an interesting read, even though it cannot be verified:

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/7..._products.html
Not surprising. I just hope that the upcoming Meego device has a keeboard and an FM transmiter. I have really enjoyed those features from my N900.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I just read an article on a Dutch newssite that Windows won't allow open-source software in their app store for Windows Phone 7 (Dutch article: http://webwereld.nl/nieuws/105763/op...s-phone-7.html).

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Funklord View Post
Even if MS would take upon themselves to do something about it, a windows system includes much LESS software than a typical linux distro does.
Simple, just update visual studio to have a compile to Arm option

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Windows Phone 7 also runs on ARM.
Windows doesn't run on anything. It just waddles at best.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org