Posts: 144 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit
Originally Posted by ajh33 View Post
vabgeo you are a beautiful person! By selecting your script in my simplelauncher applet I can now turn on bluetooth with one tap. That's twice as fast as I can turn it off!
One question: I have the icons in simplelauncher set to "extra-large", yet the bluetooth icon is still very tiny. Is there any way to change this?

I am not sure how to specify different sized icons, I will have to check on that. The current icon is 26x26 size and is kept in "/usr/share/pixmaps/switchOnBT.png". Try copying an existing bigger bluetooth icon and overwrite this file.

That worked like a charm Vabgeo. Thanks again!

That little tool jumped straight into my top-4 "must have" applications. Thanks again Varghese!

Glad to be of help.

ajh33: Which icon did you use? Does it scale automatically in small and large icon sizes?

OS2008 still has the same issue that bluetooth icon disappears, but i couldnt get hciconfig in chinook. I will have to check repo's for it and bring out a new deb

Edit: found a repository http://repository.maemo.org/pool/chinook/

Last edited by vabgeo; 2007-11-14 at 21:36.

Try http://old.tuaw.com/category/bluetooth/ Vabgeo.
I am using the one maybe 3/4 of the way down the page that looks like it is standing up on its point... that way it looks different than the "bluetooth off" icon and I can remember which is which.
Oh yeah... it does scale, but I use my simplelauncher on extra large so I can easily start apps with a finger.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by vabgeo View Post
I am not sure how to specify different sized icons, I will have to check on that. The current icon is 26x26 size and is kept in "/usr/share/pixmaps/switchOnBT.png". Try copying an existing bigger bluetooth icon and overwrite this file.
Please check my maemo wiki entry about this: you need to add a 48x48 icon into the "share/pixmaps" and "share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon" subfolders, and the 26x26 one into the "share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon" subfolder.
At least that's what I did with mClock - and it works quite well

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I've totally removed the BT icon from my bar.
I leave WiFi and BT always on and rely on the tablet switching them off automagically whenever they are not used.
The only thing I do is to put the tablet in offline mode as THAT is the only way to KEEP it from automatically looking for connections when I am sure I don't want it to connect (or I am sure I am going in a place where no network as been before..ehm.. where no network connection is available [either cellphone of WiFi]).

So far, the tablet battery has been lasting a lot.

Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Please check my maemo wiki entry about this: you need to add a 48x48 icon into the "share/pixmaps" and "share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon" subfolders, and the 26x26 one into the "share/icons/hicolor/26x26/hildon" subfolder.
At least that's what I did with mClock - and it works quite well
pyPackager doesnt work in my N800 with leaked OS2008 since it throws up cannot find glade error. khertan says libglade is not supported in chinook. In my other app pyaxelwii, I have removed dependency of glade to support OS2008. so i will wait pypackager for os2008 is out or I have to go back to os2007.

for OS2008, i havent been able to install the hciconfig util. I guess it comes as part of bluez-tools

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
(I'd use gizmo if/when it works).
So far Gizmo works in OS2008 just as it did in OS2007.
I just tried it on my N800 reflashed with OS2008 and it dialed my cell phone just fine.

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Bluetooth is a problem in the US Army. Not allowed to be on in any building where I work, and occasionally they "sniff" for it to tell people to turn off their BT devices. We can have it, just not turned on inside.
And we are required to use "hands free" devices for cell phones while driving on post, so BT is very popular.
Ah, the salad days of my youth where I was one of the people hunting down BT and wi-fi users in bizarre places like Bosnia, Kosovo, Middle East, etc.
There ARE approved BT devices though it's only one I know of: the encrypted-BT-connection CAC sled for Blackberry phones.

The bluetooth-on app released in here does install on my N800/OS2008 but doesn't seem to work. I turn bluetooth off, the icon disappears (damn you Nokia!), then I run the app and....nothing. Icon is still gone.