Active Topics

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Looks like you have an inside scoop on Nokia management. If the mess was so bad as you insinuate, It would have taken Elop years to figure out all the problems and put things on tracks. It will still take him a long time to clean up the house and put it on the WP7 track.
WP7 won't help to get things straight within Nokia.
They obviously do not have people who listen to the market.

That is why I said that this deal is great for NOKIA, but not so great for MS. They are giving billions to NOKIA, and NOKIA needs to get their act together to execute.
I still do not see, why Bing and WP7 are that great contribution.
WP7 fails:
"A quick survey of Windows Phone 7 device sales at AT&T stores has revealed modest numbers."
[ http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.low.numbers/ ]

"...producing little buzz and only so-so sales...."
[ http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ns_about_sales ]

"...We would say that 1.5 million is a very small number when you consider the platform launched on 10 devices in 30+ countries. It also shows the cautious buying approach of smartphone industry into Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7...."
[ http://www.gizmocrazed.com/2010/12/m...sales-figures/ ]

and Bing...well somehow the same.
So all that counts in this partnership is the hardware from Nokia
(leaving aside the OVI stuff).
I'd say this is a win for MS and not for Nokia.

The other good thing of switching to MS. You have an excuse to fire a whole lot of incompetent software leaders at NOKIA!
I am not sure, if the software leads were the problem.
The marketing was more of a problem.
I've never seen as much hype for the N900 as for the iPhone
here in Austria and elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to ME2g For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by ME2g View Post
:-(

I do not remember when I had such a hangup on Linux the last time.
Must have been with SuSE 8.something.
Me neither. I've just unpacked my Debian and W7 PC's after being in storage/transit for six months. The Debian PC is five years old, the Vista/W7 PC is a year old. I only use it because I need EndNote for academic work (there is nothing as good on Linux), and I have an Epson A3 colour printer (no Linux drivers). The one I look forward to setting up again is the Debian. Before I moved, I don't think it had been switched off for six months.

Mish.

Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
Me neither. I've just unpacked my Debian and W7 PC's after being in storage/transit for six months. The Debian PC is five years old, the Vista/W7 PC is a year old. I only use it because I need EndNote for academic work (there is nothing as good on Linux), and I have an Epson A3 colour printer (no Linux drivers). The one I look forward to setting up again is the Debian. Before I moved, I don't think it had been switched off for six months.

Mish.

OT:
@printer drivers: ages ago when Linux distros were lacking printer drivers I bought this one:
http://www.turboprint.info/
Worked great for my printers and it was worth the money.
Didn't try it recently because most of the normal HP printers
have drivers in the newer distros.

@EndNote: ever tried one of these:
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php , section
"Bibliography Editors" ?

Edit: btw. why do you use 2 PCs and why don't you put another Debian on the newer PC with dual boot?

Last edited by ME2g; 2011-02-21 at 19:55.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
I bought NOKIA few months back at 8.49, its now 9.19, check the stocks.

Elop will save this company, but it will be different. It needs to save itself from itself. Stale air. Knew blood and Knew ideas are necessary and its not coming from within NOKIA

I love my N900, however it was not making money. And meego is this mythical bird that is assuming godlike appearance, when in fact it is half baked product like N900. Just check some of the Meego tablet performance at MWC 2011. Unfinished and poor.

I dont think that you are getting it. MS has tons of money and NOKIA was looking for a partner. That is why MEEGO was with INTEL. NOKIA needs money and they went for the best possible deal.

NOKIA cut a great deal. Hopefully they will deliver and I doubt it. My prediction is that NOKIA will die a slowing death over the next 5-6 years. I hope they continue to innovate with their own platform while making money off Windows platform. But they have shown little innovation to satisfy the masses, and this is the key word, the masses.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And so you are deliberately ignoring everything coming out of the project. Congratulations. April for 1.2 and usability (but not end-user quality) has been stated since roughly September/October, and known earlier due to the 6 month release cycle.

As I said, blame the hardware vendors for using hardware that has no open source drivers, or drivers that are not in the kernel. You seem to like pointing the finger at Linux/MeeGo, but they have established policies and can only work with hardware for which someone with knowledge about has stood up to support.

Normally you wouldn't, unless you're a developer. Yet you insist on attacking it for not being something it was never promised to be.
So, what is the point of discussing this here? MeeGo is of no interest to people with an n900 and Maemo. This forum is for Maemo and devices which include the n900. You have stated that MeeGo is not relevant to this. Why are you not discussing this on the MeeGo forum? I am not discussing this on the MeeGo forum because MeeGo has nothing to offer me. Maemo, in potential community releases (or in any future Nokia release) may well have something to offer me.

Interesting reply - how is it that under Ubuntu I can use the WiFi on my netbook - but not under MeeGo? On my Compaq laptop, I had to use an NDIS wrapper to use the broadcom device - but with the netbook it just worked. There are ways round these issues - but now that broadcom have released their drivers so that linux developers can use them, hopefully they will eventually appear in MeeGo. I'm still not holding my breath though, because from what you are saying MeeGo is not really a linux-type system (where I can load it onto an existing computer) - it is intended to sell new computers, so will be limited to a narrow range of devices.

So, there is no point continuing this discussion - I am interested in having the choice to buy what hardware I choose, and installing the OS of my choice - MeeGo does not feature there, it is to be like Windows and Apple, built on the back of linux, running on specific hardware, and locking users in. We have those already. But at least you have enlightened me as to why there is no point my wasting more time with MeeGo - because I would be unlikely to buy a device like that (although I would like a tablet). Thanks.

I bought NOKIA few months back at 8.49, its now 9.19, check the stocks.
But there was already more. 16.00 afaics.
See
http://www.investorguide.com/stock-c...php?ticker=NOK
I did not watch the drop in July which was not as steep as the
one after the announcement regarding MS.

Elop will save this company
?
Further down you write "NOKIA will die a slowing death over the next 5-6 years"
->?

but it will be different.
Well, death is "different".

It needs to save itself from itself. Stale air. Knew blood and Knew ideas are necessary and its not coming from within NOKIA
I disagree again.
Maemo showed that they are innovative.
But there is no sense in innovation if there is no corresponding
advertising, support and marketing.

I love my N900, however it was not making money.
Because advertising and marketing failed.

And meego is this mythical bird that is assuming godlike appearance, when in fact it is half baked product like N900.
If N900 is half-baked you should degrade WP7 phones to
"quarter baked". ;-)
If you really used your N900 you would know.

Just check some of the Meego tablet performance at MWC 2011. Unfinished and poor.
That is not different from what I have seen and heard of the WP7
devices.

I dont think that you are getting it.
I have posted the facts and the links.
I can post more facts and links if you want.
8-)

But they have shown little innovation to satisfy the masses, and this is the key word, the masses.
That is the only point where I agree: it was missing advertisement
for N900 for the masses and just some tiny improvement in the
way of a kind of "Non geek"-mode so that normal users
do not brick their N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ME2g For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
So, what is the point of discussing this here? MeeGo is of no interest to people with an n900 and Maemo. This forum is for Maemo and devices which include the n900. You have stated that MeeGo is not relevant to this. Why are you not discussing this on the MeeGo forum?
Yay, misconstruing things more!

MeeGo is not of interest to the people who want to just use a device. This forum includes people who DO like to tinker and hack their device, as well as people who are interested in MeeGo.

Interesting reply - how is it that under Ubuntu I can use the WiFi on my netbook - but not under MeeGo? On my Compaq laptop, I had to use an NDIS wrapper to use the broadcom device - but with the netbook it just worked.
Who knows, I'd have to sit down and look.

There are ways round these issues - but now that broadcom have released their drivers so that linux developers can use them, hopefully they will eventually appear in MeeGo.
Yes, that is the goal of staying in sync with the mainline as possible.

I'm still not holding my breath though, because from what you are saying MeeGo is not really a linux-type system (where I can load it onto an existing computer) - it is intended to sell new computers, so will be limited to a narrow range of devices.
It is intended to be a standard Linux type system. It does not, however, intend to be and end-user end-product. On the other hand, someone could branch from MeeGo, make no changes at all to the underlying OS and apply Smoku's Cordia packages to create something compatible with MeeGo but with a far better user interface than the reference designs. That's what is really intended.

So, there is no point continuing this discussion - I am interested in having the choice to buy what hardware I choose, and installing the OS of my choice - MeeGo does not feature there, it is to be like Windows and Apple, built on the back of linux, running on specific hardware, and locking users in.
Indeed, there is no point in having a discussion with someone who insists on ignorantly attacking and pointing the finger at something they wholly fail to understand.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
OT:
@printer drivers: ages ago when Linux distros were lacking printer drivers I bought this one:
http://www.turboprint.info/
Worked great for my printers and it was worth the money.
Didn't try it recently because most of the normal HP printers
have drivers in the newer distros.
Tks.

@EndNote: ever tried one of these:
http://www.linux.ie/newusers/alternatives.php , section
"Bibliography Editors" ?
I did try a couple (pybliographer being one) - but it didn't do what I needed, and I didn't have the time to look into getting it to work. Now I may have more time.
Edit: btw. why do you use 2 PCs and why don't you put another Debian on the newer PC with dual boot?
I think I might do that, once I have set them up again, although I use Linux for e-mail and web - the W7 I do as little as possible online, using it mostly for my thesis and image processing (few astrophotography applications run on Linux - and as much as I love Gimp is, it is not up to Photoshop).

Last edited by mishmich; 2011-02-21 at 20:27. Reason: muddled quotes

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yay, misconstruing things more!

Indeed, there is no point in having a discussion with someone who insists on ignorantly attacking and pointing the finger at something they wholly fail to understand.
Not attacking it - there is nothing there to use now, and it sounds like it is unlikely there will be anything of interest to anybody other than hardware vendors, developers and hackers (unless a developer or hacker produces something that might be of interest to somebody who wants to use it). What have I misunderstood?

I have not attacked you, and yet you are the one misrepresenting me, as ignorant. I am not ignorant, although I do believe that the only point of commercial development is in producing stuff people can use. If I can't use it, then it is of no benefit to me. Not ignorant, pragmatic.

Mish.

Last edited by mishmich; 2011-02-21 at 20:54. Reason: Clarification

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
But there was already more. 16.00 afaics.
See
http://www.investorguide.com/stock-c...php?ticker=NOK
I did not watch the drop in July which was not as steep as the
one after the announcement regarding MS.

?
Further down you write "NOKIA will die a slowing death over the next 5-6 years"
->?

Well, death is "different".

I disagree again.
Maemo showed that they are innovative.
But there is no sense in innovation if there is no corresponding
advertising, support and marketing.

Because advertising and marketing failed.

If N900 is half-baked you should degrade WP7 phones to
"quarter baked". ;-)
If you really used your N900 you would know.

That is not different from what I have seen and heard of the WP7
devices.

I have posted the facts and the links.
I can post more facts and links if you want.
8-)

That is the only point where I agree: it was missing advertisement
for N900 for the masses and just some tiny improvement in the
way of a kind of "Non geek"-mode so that normal users
do not brick their N900.

We can mentally masturbate about this to no end. The facts are simple: NOKIA was losing market share and nobody ever heard of Maemo. They had to do something. Something was done. Time will tell which armchair quarterback was right or wrong, but even then results will be interpreted in different lights. The bottom line will be: can they regain their market share and money making. Will see what happens in the next 3 years. I bet they will be extinct. They need way too much new blood than Elop. Inbreeding is a nice way to create cretins.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org