Closed Thread
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Alastor89 View Post
Same problem, I've just re-added the widget and their automatically re-appeared.
Re-added the widget from the Customise Desktop/Add Widget menu (it doesn't appear in the list of widgets to add here), or by reinstalling a package (in which case, which package)?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Actually my point was that before launching system-wide portrait mode we (and by saying we I mean even me if I have some damn free hours) should fix at least known problems. And if you check extkbd thread you will see that latest version has portrait mode support. I absolutely agree with you that one should not stop system-wide portrait mode because not all of the closed bits support it, but knowing that there are bugs in QT libraries re portrait mode and not fixing them does not look good to me. Are we on a hurry, do we have some schedule from management? Or the idea of Community SSU is to show that something can be done, even incomplete and ugly.

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the idea of having full portrait mode on our phones, just want things to be done in the right way not in the same half-baked Nokia way.
That's why this is the TESTING version of the SSU, no? So that this kind of stuff can be implemented, and the testers discover all the newer bugs that crop up. Yes known issues should be fixed, but I see no reason why an testing-level SSU shouldn't have it implemented, when it's already known how to do it. There's a reason for testing/devel software, and it's so that things CAN be half-baked. That way it's easier to make them actually good/great when they're released as non-beta, finished products.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Can you include the FM-transmitter patch as well?

It's in my signature This would make a lot of people happy
If you're going to use that binary, at least use the latest one, so the author should be contacted directly, and such. On the other hand, I really don't think that's advisable for the CSSU - it replaces a Nokia closed source binary. One it's probably not legal to mod/redistribute in the first place, we just get away with it because, well, **** it, Nokia barely remembers they made this phone.

Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
[edit] Aah, someone was nice enought to mention in the wiki that used themes own transitions.ini overrides the /user/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini file. That was my problem.
Lol, I thought that might help someone. (I added it about two days ago, I think.)

I did notice one bug not mentioned yet - if you have folders in your launcher / menu, when you are in a folder, and you rotate the screen (either from landscape to portrait or portrait to landscape), the launcher ends up exiting the folder and going to the main menu when it rotates. So if I have a folder called Communication in my apps menu, and I click on it, everything works fine, but rotating the screen takes you back outside that folder. Not a major issue, and barely even a nuisance, but just saying.

In other news, I just took some screenshots from my N900 - gonna edit them in here in a sec - one is something really neat and convenient, though looks messy now and I'm unsure how intended it was; the other is not exactly a 'bug' but can be considered that I suppose, and it's just how the image previews look on the Photos app in portrait mode.

First pic (portrait unlock code screen):
Name:  Screenshot-20110222-050743.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  20.6 KB

Second pic (portrait Photos app):
Name:  Screenshot-20110222-051933.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  22.7 KB

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-02-22 at 11:22. Reason: Screenies added.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
I did the update and it works very well. But the hildon-control-panel is not in portrait mode

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
the other is not exactly a 'bug' but can be considered that I suppose, and it's just how the image previews look on the Photos app in portrait mode.
Following on from this statement if you actually click on an image whilst in portrait mode it will open rotated counterclockwise by 90deg MORE than the handset is. If you then rotate the handset to compensate the image continues to rotate a further 90deg CCW with every 90deg you rotate the handset. Akin to chasing it in circles.

www.file-a-bug.org?

Last edited by Switch_; 2011-02-22 at 11:24.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Switch_ View Post
Following on from this statement if you actually click on an image whilst in portrait mode it will open rotated counterclockwise by 90deg MORE than the handset is. If you then rotate the handset to compensate the image continues to rotate a further 90deg CCW with ever 90deg you rotate the handset. Akin to chasing it in circles.

www.file-a-bug.org?
Well, the photos app launches in portrait, but it already auto rotates, so yes, this can be an issue. I suspect the end solution will be "auto rotation enabled and made default, but make it possible for apps to have a "do not auto-rotate flag". If the Photos app is closed source, a clone can be written, or if open source, it can be patched, to counter the auto-rotation right now, say by changing how it determines what rotation to show the normal picture at. *Shrug*

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@Mentalist Traceur - I understand your point even from your previous post and while partially agree with it I still assume TESTING does not meen IN THE MIDDLE OF DEVELOPMENT. Maybe it is my English. Look at the latest update - what was the point it has been launched, I completely missed it. It looks like noone has checked so called PORTRAIT MODE at all. And I am not talking about applications not supporting portrait but the basic stuff like autorotation not working. Still following me? And I have feeling that you treat my posts like I am personaly attacking you or CSSU developers. Believe me, that is not the case.

I will try to explain my point again - the fact that noone is paid for deveopment of CSSU should not stop developers act like professionals. Agree? And I have some expertise on how to carry SW projects, so lets assume I know what I am talking about. Do you?

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Close the device and remove the battery. Wait for 20 seconds.
Then put the battery back in and turn on your N900.

It should work.
genius!

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
You guys shoulf go straight to the maemo14 update next time.

13 is bad luck

@anandv76: happy I helped man!

I have some funny effect:
  • (from Desktop) physically rotate N900 to Portrait
  • Startup a program (like contacts, starts up and rotates to portrait)
  • Work with contacts in portrait mode
  • Close contacts and leave phone in portrait position
  • (Rotates to landscape and shows desktop)
  • Select status menu

The status menu should show up in landscape mode. But I had the effect that it rotates to portrait and when leaving the menu everything rotates to landscape desktop again. I had this effect twice and it is not 100% reproducable. I think that this is somewhere between closing the program in portrait and going back to landscape Desktop.

Update: You can only fix the rotating by starting a program in landscape afterwards and leave it.

Last edited by cy8aer; 2011-02-22 at 12:24.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Chennai, India
I am loving this thing...Never felt anything close to how i feel today...Have been let down by NOKIA..But here is the support that we all need... Keep up the good work people...Loving it...LOVING IT...

Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade