Active Topics

Poll: Is this something that sounds possible?
Poll Options
Is this something that sounds possible?

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm
Just thinking...

This type of phone that this site is focusing on, the N900 is in a way a dream come true -as long as it is ALMOST an open source OS / device. We, the Maemo friends, could make this phone whatever we like! From basic handling of the phone to total GUI transformation.

Now that Nokia has left the building and we are at our own. Lets take control of this very opportunity to make this phone fun and just the way WE want to be using a phone. Lets show "the world" that an open source phone, could be AT LEAST as good as an ordinary "commercial" phone.

As many know, open source can be as good as any commercial product, that we have seen a lot of proof of.

I vote for making this phone, a really cool device that we can do almost anything with and things we want and need and also lets make it so popular that folks all around want to buy it. Lets prove / test if an open source can be pushing the commercials to make devices to this plattform. Almost as Android is. But this time theres no commercial value in it!

Wouldnt that be fun!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illemann For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I hate all this positive thinking...especially when I agree with it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
The only bad thing about Open Source is the closed bits. Not a lot can be done with them. But a lot of promise lies in the Community SSU which is already underway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
@illeman: go back under the rock you crawled from. this kind of positivity is not tolerated on TMO!

a true N900 owner would know how to hide his/her happiness with the device:silently, slumped in a corner away from the glow of iphonistas and androiders. our mantra is "the bashings will continue until the device improves." now get back to it!

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
@illeman: go back under the rock you crawled from. this kind of positivity is not tolerated on TMO!

a true N900 owner would know how to hide his/her happiness with the device:silently, slumped in a corner away from the glow of iphonistas and androiders. our mantra is "the bashings will continue until the device improves." now get back to it!
Or, another way to look at it, the disappointed N900 owner would know better than to give in and admit it, slumped in that corner of the market share thumping his chest with artificial pride whilst envying the progress going on around them. :P

I agree with the gung-ho open-source sentiment, but I'm far less optimistic about it coming from Nokia after what we've had to endure thus far.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I avoided buying an N900 when MeeGo was released, and it was said that it wouldn't come to it in an official form. Now that Nokia has changed the status of MeeGo I was tired of waiting and have just bought an N900.

At least the community can maintain this device. It's done so even with the older internet tablets.

I'm very full of optimism about the device, and I'm still reading a lot about the community improvements.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dead1nside View Post
I avoided buying an N900 when MeeGo was released, and it was said that it wouldn't come to it in an official form. Now that Nokia has changed the status of MeeGo I was tired of waiting and have just bought an N900.

At least the community can maintain this device. It's done so even with the older internet tablets.

I'm very full of optimism about the device, and I'm still reading a lot about the community improvements.
Alex Trebek: "Oh ouch! The answer is, who TRIED to maintain the older devices. Tried is the operative word. Good try."
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

IMO, Nokia should work hard to open source every bit of Maemo they possibly can. That way they'd quit Maemo with style, and make the N900 truly an exceptional device on the market - a thing to be remembered for a long time, while possibly winning back some of the people they managed to alienate. Good PR, if nothing else (wouldn't hurt to see some of that for the change).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by illemann View Post
As many know, open source can be as good as any commercial product, that we have seen a lot of proof of.
How good open source is, is directly proportional to the money and development effort poured into it by large companies. When funding ends, open source projects will wither and die.

Nokia should do nothing but give us the source code of Maemo and then go ruin there company some more...

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
lille illemann, spoiled ovi