Active Topics

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Each and every WONTFIX.
You have no idea huh? Maemo is so bad and u cant think of one?
I notice you just comment for the sake of disagreeing. Take your time and list what in Maemo needs updating. Then compare it to WP7 they still dont have copy paste in 2011. WP7 is ****.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
You have no idea huh? Maemo is so bad and u cant think of one?
There's more than one WONTFIX. So yeah, I have plenty of ideas. Either continue to bury your head in the sand and act like there are no problems; or admit that the WONTFIX's exist and some are in the closed bits of the mostly open OS that I've liked for apparently a bit longer than you if we were going to go by petty measurements or assumptions like membership sign up dates and the like.

I notice you just comment for the sake of disagreeing. Take your time and list what in Maemo needs updating. Then compare it to WP7 they still dont have copy paste in 2011. WP7 is ****.
Awwwh. You 'dun figured me out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
windows of a phone is so ****ing gay and pointless.i wouldn't take it even if it would be a gift...
Can't we get some more informed and justified productive comments rather than blind nerd rage?

A more productive thing to do is list the deficiencies of WP7 (both in software and in development model) and contrast these with Maemo/Meego rather than just calling it 'gay'. There's a chance - however slim - that someone with influence might just pay attention, sure there is almost no chance of reversing the MS deal, but they may yet view Maemo/Meego as more than just an experiment.

on a side note it's pretty backwards and/or immature view to the term 'gay' as derogatory.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to exo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by exo View Post
Can't we get some more informed and justified productive comments rather than blind nerd rage?

A more productive thing to do is list the deficiencies of WP7 (both in software and in development model) and contrast these with Maemo/Meego rather than just calling it 'gay'. There's a chance - however slim - that someone with influence might just pay attention, sure there is almost no chance of reversing the MS deal, but they may yet view Maemo/Meego as more than just an experiment.

on a side note it's pretty backwards and/or immature view to the term 'gay' as derogatory.
Agree - let's start with the name. Windows. It might have worked 25 years ago (metaphorically speaking - it never worked that well), but in the way that 'gay' has become a synonym (amongst the youth) for something that is rubbish - the same could be said of Windows. They should change the name to something else, like 'Start to Exit', after that quirky little place you click when you want to turn off - it could be abbreviated to SEx, and that alone would guarantee sales (especially by teenage lads). Then the smart phone would use SEx-phone7. Which would be nice for those who masturbate a lot.

Mish.

Last edited by mishmich; 2011-02-24 at 07:09.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I second exo and Mish, gay is definitely not an appropriate description for Windows, especially when iPhone has privileged the use of 'gay'.

*DUCK*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Well, Microsoft said that the problem is due to a bad internet connection and/or lack of disk space - one could argue that the first should not interfere with any sort of updating process, and the second should always be checked by the updater, tho.

However, given that Microsoft is doing their best to clone the iOS strategy and put all the bad things about it on steroides bringing those to absurdity, does it really come as a surprise that Microsoft is explaining the bricking problem using a statement that basically says: you're updating it wrong!?

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
WP7 has no future for me anyways. When it launched it was/is still lacking all kinds of stuff e.g. compared to Maemo5 PR1 in terms of functionality. Then depending on upgrades from M$, thats a no-win. Not able to flash as compared to ours, no-win. I could make this a long list but you get the idea..

IMHO it was garbage from the start, and knowing M$ it will stay garbage for quite a while. Maybe it is best compared to iOS, plus the handicaps it drags along the road.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GI jack View Post
I think the point is that windows is a closed system so it has to function first time everytime and be fixed to entirity by microsoft.

we're OK with a few flaws in maemo and open source systems because we have the source, and an open platform to DIY.

That said, nokia in 4 or 5 years will be wondering why they ever got into smart phones to begin with.

the partnership with intel, meego, qt, AND intel's atom chips would have lead eventually to ATOM x86 smart phones running pure linux, and closed the link between desktop and cell phone. Just add a smartly written nokia phone tools type for desktops running linux, and you can now promote the same vertical integration apple has, while still taking the market for arm proccesors. Almost think, make meego ports for EVERY phone, and you can hijack competitor's products from them.

people use windows on their desktops because they have to, or don't know anything else.. It comes with the computer, they use it at work, they are used to it, mabey comfortable but they really really don't like it. When it comes to phones they avoid it like the plague. The operating system of the hour for the rest of the non-apple world is android. Nokia has a better chance sticking to their guns, and carving out a niche market with meego.

windows on cellphones is done. Just MS and nokia can't see that right now.

when this is over, nokia just signed on to a ship of fail. have fun making dumb phones.
Nope, I like Windows XP, never had any problems with it and it runs everything I need it to. I could mess around with Linux all day long but I've got other things I would rather spend my time on, so I don't. You have to understand that while running a better system is really important to you, most of us just want our computer to work when we turn it on and since most pre-made computers come with Windows, well there you go. Also, most people in my experience aren't willing to learn the nuances of more than one or two operating systems. For them Windows was hard enough, mac on top of that make two, why would they bother with Linux?

I'm not trying to diss Linux or anything like that but saying

"mabey comfortable but they really really don't like it."

is a huge stretch

The Following User Says Thank You to dmberta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
REALLY??! Their first update bricks a load of phones?? F-ing brilliant. Those poor sods who are going to buy Nokrosoft phones later this year are in for a bumpy ride, clearly. Nice cosy feeling though, Windows crashing and f-ing things up takes me back to happier days around 1999.

On a side note, I'm loving all the talk about the 'new' Symbian coming later this year. Even read that the new UI will be similar to Maemo5. Hey! Lady! Jo Whateveryournameis! If Maemo5 is so good you're gonna make Symbian UI just like it, why the F don't you just update and USE Maemo5? Oh yeah, I forgot, you occasionally make out with Elop in the staff lunch room. You're so gross.

Originally Posted by dmberta View Post
nope, i like windows xp, never had any problems with it and it runs everything i need it to. I could mess around with linux all day long but i've got other things i would rather spend my time on, so i don't. You have to understand that while running a better system is really important to you, most of us just want our computer to work when we turn it on and since most pre-made computers come with windows, well there you go. Also, most people in my experience aren't willing to learn the nuances of more than one or two operating systems. For them windows was hard enough, mac on top of that make two, why would they bother with linux?

I'm not trying to diss linux or anything like that but saying

"mabey comfortable but they really really don't like it."

is a huge stretch

.....ipv6?

Tags
bada rox, give me bada, meego rules, sir abill sir !, windowsce blows