Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Austin, TX
I first noticed this problem earlier this week. Wifieye would just fail.

So I decided to run it from the command line and see what I get:
Code:
File "/usr/bin/wifieye", line 24, in <module>
  import wifieye.core
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/wifieye/core.py", line 25, in <module>
  import wifi
File "usr/lib/pymodules/python2.5/wifieye/wifi.py", line 25, in <module>
  from PyQt4 import QtCore
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 but the PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.1
I run apt-get upgrade and I get told that python2.5-qt4-common is being kept back. So, I tell it to install that package. Doing so uninstalls python2.5-qt4-core, python2.5-qt4-gui, and wifieye. Attempting to reinstall them afterwards fails because python2.5-qt4-core and python-qt4-gui depend on python2.5-qt4-common (=4.7.4-maemo0) but 4.7.5-maemo1 is "to be installed" (which means it already is installed).

So, since I'm only using extras and not extras-devel I thought I'd look up the versions of the packages. Common has already been upgraded to 4.7.5-maemo1, while core and gui still sit at 4.7.4-maemo0 in everything outside extras-devel.

I attempted contacting the maintainer of these packages, an Attila Csipa, at the garage.maemo.org contact site and got a delivery failure notification returned less than a day later. Suggestions?

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
I know Atilla is on this forum, so he may read this thread. Alternatively, you could send him a PM.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I know Atilla is on this forum, so he may read this thread. Alternatively, you could send him a PM.
Hmmm, I've managed to find his talk.maemo.org profile and send him a PM. I hope he is not too angry with me.

There are already comments about PyQt in the Development forum, take a look there...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Sadly the hildon app-manager tries to be smarted than it really is. At least in one possible scenario the problem is caused by it's reluctance to update PyQt in a reasonable manner. An another source of confusion is that some packages incorrectly depend on the 'common' package (like peqersi), which they shouldn't. Considering the brain-deadness of HAM, it seems the only long-term solution is to depend on python2.5-qt4 (yes, I know I used to advise against that, but since Qt is optified nowadays and HAM does break if you depend on the components... there is no real alternative).

EDIT: But that seems not to be the root cause, see http://forums.internettablettalk.com...08&postcount=8

Last edited by attila77; 2010-11-07 at 15:35.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
EDIT: But that seems not to be the root cause, see http://forums.internettablettalk.com...08&postcount=8
From what I understood, the package python2.5-qt4-sip was updated somehow (from dev to extras) while all its dependencies were not.

Does anybody know how to fix this issue? (for instance, apt-get install something=correctPackageVersion)

There are a number of applications in extras that are not working because of this problem.

Thanks

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
AFAIK nowadays there is one version throughout Extras, testing and devel - I'm not sure how you ended up with a mismatched version, but an apt-get install python2.5-qt4 should fix it ?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
AFAIK nowadays there is one version throughout Extras, testing and devel - I'm not sure how you ended up with a mismatched version, but an apt-get install python2.5-qt4 should fix it ?
Thanks. I've just had to issue "apt-get upgrade" and all installed components were brought to the same newest version. Now everything works again.

I'm having a very similar issue. I'm trying to build and run PyQT code in QT Creator for the first time. PyQT code currently runs without a problem through Eclipse. However, in QT Creator, I am getting the following error:

Code:
pyuic4 mainWindow.ui -o -mainWindow.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/pyuic4", line 3, in <module>
    import PyQt4.uic.pyuic
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/pyuic.py", line 4, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtCore
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v8.0 to v8.1 but the PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v7.1
It looks like PyQT4.QtCore doesn't want to work with the newest version of SIP. I tried the above recommendations (apt-get upgrade and making sure Python is up-to-date) to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for letting me drop in here. I am new to PyQT and am working through a tutorial to get started, just FYI.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/JonathanGardnerPyQtTutorial

Last edited by skreg; 2011-03-18 at 20:55. Reason: Additional info