Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
I wonder if I can now navigate from the UK through to Germany without having to "swap" maps - that had BETTER be fixed now!
No, it's not fixed. They say, that it would be too slow. Read for yourself: wayfinder FAQ

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by BarneyC View Post
Again though I fail to understand why routing is a premium service given that google maps does it really really well. Not sure if it will but I wouldn't be at all suprised if Maemo Mapper gets route generation using the gMaps API at some point (and it already allows for voice prompting).

So then the only real difference will be the proprietory systems ability to display things in a more isometric view.

No I was taught to read maps properly so really am not fussed about that functionality.

So it for me it all comes down to what on Earth is the business model behind the Wayfinder 'service' as it cannot be built for longevity.
I'm pretty sure Wayfinder operates on this subscription model with mobile phones as do other map providers (nokia Smart2go). It seems to work for them in that arena why would it be any different on the N810?

Originally Posted by Nikem View Post
No, it's not fixed. They say, that it would be too slow. Read for yourself: wayfinder FAQ
Can't believe I didn't check the FAQ - I have become my worst internet user nightmare. It's a pretty good FAQ too, certainly answered all my questions! [thanks for the pointer]

Re Euro navigation:
Without knowing anything about the methods of routing - I can't believe it would be that slow to implement full European navigation [actually - I think the FAQ mentions it's more memory limitation with internal storage!]

At the very least they could implement a skeleton map comprising all major roads/motorways in Europe (and say - 1 or 2 miles of interconnecting roads around those); then without user intervention switch between this skeleton map and the individual "high detail" regional maps when doing routing.

Search could be implemented by having country selection boxes. Even if it took time to select the country database it'd be a better option than what we have now. That way an initial search would find locations in each region based on latitudes and longitudes; the locations could then be piped into the "skeleton map" to find a more general route between those countries. Then back to local routing to find a means of getting from initial area to the nearest 'skeleton map' junction on the motorway.

Gah - you get the idea. It certainly doesn't sound that difficult to implement - it wouldn't require that much more memory either! This initial Wayfinder sounds more likely to be a recompile of Navicom for IT2008.

I'd be happy to answer some question about Wayfinder. I can confirm much of what has been mentioned already. Wayfinder has replaced Navicore.

You only get position tracking and location searches for free. Routing and voice navigation by subscription. I admit that I don't understand the model a whole lot either. It wasn't what I was expecting. Why would you cut out routing? I possibly could understand cutting voice navigation and traffic updates.

Anyway, that's how it works right now. Traffic updates will not work for all areas, but I suspect they're working on expanding that coverage. And yes, you must change maps manually when you move from one map to the next. No doubt a lot of improvements will be forthcoming.

And for those unaware, Nokia is acquiring Navteq (the map data used by Wayfinder).

The Following User Says Thank You to prosthetic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
As a point of interest, Google Maps also use NAVTEQ maps (map and map overlay only, not satellite images).

}:^)~
YARR!!

Corrupt Capt'n

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
I've just downloaded the CE maps to my N800 (flashed with the beta os2008). I found that these maps and the ones that you can try on the Wayfinder's webpage are not the same. The webpage has more detailed maps. Have you noticed differences like this?:

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
I have OS2008 on my n800 and I get a message saying Wayfinder 7 day free trial will not be available untill December.