Active Topics

Originally Posted by IBICO View Post
I tried to use "info on tap" but it failed to start..I am struggeling to know how to do this step:

# Scripts go in /usr/bin, and then must be given execute permissions with "chmod a+x"

I have installed Python 2.5
I don't think you have to do this manually anymore.. it looks like the info-on-tap application has been updated today on the author's site. You can just click (from the N800) the 'click to install' and it'll add the repo and install a debian package. You don't have to do the chmod a+x and all that.

I just did the above to check that it worked.
There's a problem though, when I start the application it says
"Can't create logfile" with an 'ok' button and exits. Unfortunately I'm no good with Python and can't figure out what causes this.

EDIT: Ok I did figure it out, by reading the technical readme.txt on the website. It turns out the application expects /var/log to be globally writable, this is not good. A better way is as follows (must be done manually unless the .deb post-installation script is updated to do the same): (NB: The steps must be done _exactly_ as typed, no spelling errors..)
Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /var/log
mkdir user
chown user user
touch user/info_on_tap.log
ln -s user/info_on_tap.log .
(note that terminating dot ('.') at the end of the last one there)

(If you already manuall did that chmod a+w /var/log as was suggested in that readme I refered to, now is the time to do 'chmod og-w /var/log' to undo the damage.)

Now the application starts. However, it looks like it actually needs some data files to exist in order to do anything at all, it looks a bit non-obvious to me.. maybe the poster that first mentioned this application knows a bit more of what's needed?

I've been looking at these pages:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/noki...tap/readme.txt
(What it says about the installation is obsolete, it's clearly from before it was made a debian package).
and
http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/noki...ocs/index.html

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-11-16 at 21:13.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Nope. Typed what you wrote -- still get the logfile complaints.

This either still needs work by the author, or he should refrain from making his private stuff public alltogether...

Karel,
Could you do
ls -l /var/log
and post? (but I may have to run away for today, got a bus to catch soon)

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Norway / Tromsų
Get logfile error on Nokia sync, Info on tap and Spend it..So not just one program..It seems that all his program got the same fault.

It might be writing ability for the program.. I tried to chmod but got permission denied.

--

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Karel,
Could you do
ls -l /var/log
and post? (but I may have to run away for today, got a bus to catch soon)
Assuming you'd be only interested in the permissions for info_on_tap.log:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov 16 22:52 info_on_tap.log ->user/info_on_tap.log

drwxr-xr-x 2 user root 0 Nov 16 22:51 user

I'd have to dig out my Linux hadbook to find out what those permissions mean...

That looks correct to me, that's how it's set up here. And the error message disappeared. Very strange.
drwxr-xr-x 2 user root
means d for directory, read-write-execute for owner, read-execute for the rest, owner is userr, group is root. (when 'execute' is used on directories it really means 'access to directory').

The access bits for the symbolic link doesn't matter.

IBICO,
You can't do those chmod as user (those not in /home/user/, anyway), you have to do
sudo gainroot
first.
However, if you installed that debian (instead of manual install) then you shouldn't need to do any of that.
Except that you migh try the
chmod a+w /var/log
although I think that's not good in general. Might be worth temporarily though.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
That looks correct to me, that's how it's set up here. And the error message disappeared. Very strange.
drwxr-xr-x 2 user root
means d for directory, read-write-execute for owner, read-execute for the rest, owner is userr, group is root. (when 'execute' is used on directories it really means 'access to directory').

The access bits for the symbolic link doesn't matter.
I tried rebooting (something I usually only reserve for Windows machines), thinking there was something funky in my environment, but the errors are still there. Only Calendar doesn't display the message. But then, it doesn't start either.

This is a bummer. I was really looking forward to Info On Tap, as it is the kind of simple database I'm looking for, but...

None of the menu items work for me. However, after going through the directory creation and permissions rigmarole, I was able to launch info_on_tap and spendit from an xterm prompt. There are a bunch of warnings about the theme not finding some background image, but you get to see the apps.

That's about it, though : in both of them, a "New" button (to create a new table in one, a new expense in the other... I think :-) don't do anything, so I didn't get any further...

I was in touch with the author earlier because his hand-made .debs didn't work (pointed him to PyPackager :-), I've also reported these problems.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
None of the menu items work for me. However, after going through the directory creation and permissions rigmarole, I was able to launch info_on_tap and spendit from an xterm prompt. There are a bunch of warnings about the theme not finding some background image, but you get to see the apps.

That's about it, though : in both of them, a "New" button (to create a new table in one, a new expense in the other... I think :-) don't do anything, so I didn't get any further...

I was in touch with the author earlier because his hand-made .debs didn't work (pointed him to PyPackager :-), I've also reported these problems.
Interesting.

I reportedc my earlier problems with the manual installation also, but never received a reply.

It might be possible that the combination of an earlier (botched) manual install clashes with the debs. I wouldn't know where to start looking for errors, though. I don't even have an idea what an error in this mess would look like.