Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
The following packages might cause problems:
scim-pinyin
hermes
recaller
shortcutd
callnotify

Remove them first. Reboot and then check the system performance, especially on taking calls under load. Reinstall them one by one, and repeat the checking, etc.

Also, what range of frequencies you set the kernel at?

I also notice you've installed a lot of account plugins (haze, butterfly, salut). Do you turn them on all the time?

While you're at it. What is your firmware version?
Version 20.2010.36-2.
I will try and see if any difference with and without those apps.
By saying kernel, I expect that you mean overclocking. I usually leave it at stock 600mhz cause i have been feeling there is not much gain in setting mhz. If i do, max i will set at 1Ghz.

Ya, I have those account plugins but I only use for msn, skype, facebook, google, ovi and sip services. AND most of the time they are offline because I do not use data plan and only connect to wifi when I want to.

THanks.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by yauchildchew View Post
Version 20.2010.36-2.
I will try and see if any difference with and without those apps.
By saying kernel, I expect that you mean overclocking. I usually leave it at stock 600mhz cause i have been feeling there is not much gain in setting mhz. If i do, max i will set at 1Ghz.

Ya, I have those account plugins but I only use for msn, skype, facebook, google, ovi and sip services. AND most of the time they are offline because I do not use data plan and only connect to wifi when I want to.

THanks.
That's good. BTW, if you want pinyin, you'd like to install mscim-n900-ppinputmethod in which you can find pinyin. Penpower is the most stable Chinese input method afaik.

You have SOO much crap installed.

You only need 1 battery monitor tool. Remove either batterygraph or battery eye.

Also remove pedometer, it polls the accelerometer like a mother b|tch ffs.

That's good. BTW, if you want pinyin, you'd like to install mscim-n900-ppinputmethod in which you can find pinyin. Penpower is the most stable Chinese input method afaik.
in fact, the scim is used for japanese input.
i dont remember the name exactly but it is called something anthy scim. i could input Japanese and Chinese (and maybe Korean as well) in the beginning but after some reboots and apps installation, only Japanese input feature is left available.
anyway, thanks for ur recommendation, i would like to have chinese input as well if it is good. hope it wont conflict with other input apps.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
You have SOO much crap installed.

You only need 1 battery monitor tool. Remove either batterygraph or battery eye.

Also remove pedometer, it polls the accelerometer like a mother b|tch ffs.
do u mean me?
i dont have pedometer, i did have it before.

anyway, even if we have crap apps installed, or many similar apps like batterygraph and battery eye installed. i wonder if they will use the cpu/memory resources if i do not launch them.

in this case (battery monitoring), i think the apps dont run in the background, i am not sure but i guess there is a stock feature which records the battery performance. And the battery apps extract the battery info to produce the graphs. So, having them but not launching them is not gonna be a cause for the unresponsiveness, according to my limited judgement.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
The following packages might cause problems:

scim-pinyin
hermes
recaller
shortcutd
callnotify
Shortcutd is old and tested to death, never had any issues with it.

Recaller kills the phone when recording or when stuck. Make sure the widget is red. When in doubt, switch to WAV recording and you're golden.

I had callnotify for a while and I removed it on a whim. Didn't notice anything big, though.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Shortcutd is old and tested to death, never had any issues with it.

Recaller kills the phone when recording or when stuck. Make sure the widget is red. When in doubt, switch to WAV recording and you're golden.

I had callnotify for a while and I removed it on a whim. Didn't notice anything big, though.
thanks for the info.
personally i am using recaller with aac setting because i think wav is gonna create bigger file. anyway, i have had no problem with it related to slowing down performance.

It's up-to-date. Next up you'd like to show us a list of packages your previous owner installed such that we can figure out what's going wrong:

Under Xterminal, type:
Code:
maemo-list-user-packages > /home/user/MyDocs/package.list
Then connect your N900 to your PC via the USB cable, choose 'Mass Storage' in N900 such that the N900 can be mounted as a flash drive. In the newly mapped flash drive, find the 'package.list' and attach it here for our investigation.

P.S. If you've problem finding the '>' for your keyboard layout, just open this page in N900 and copy and paste the above command to your xterminal.
I'm the first owner of the phone so there wasn't a previous one

And I tried to attach the package.list file but this website won't let me? I'm probably doing something wrong.

It's up-to-date. Next up you'd like to show us a list of packages your previous owner installed such that we can figure out what's going wrong:

Under Xterminal, type:
Code:
maemo-list-user-packages > /home/user/MyDocs/package.list
Then connect your N900 to your PC via the USB cable, choose 'Mass Storage' in N900 such that the N900 can be mounted as a flash drive. In the newly mapped flash drive, find the 'package.list' and attach it here for our investigation.

P.S. If you've problem finding the '>' for your keyboard layout, just open this page in N900 and copy and paste the above command to your xterminal.
Okei, here it is actually, as a zip file, I hope it works
Attached Files
File Type: zip package.list.zip (1.2 KB, 67 views)

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by cciot View Post
I'm the first owner of the phone so there wasn't a previous one

And I tried to attach the package.list file but this website won't let me? I'm probably doing something wrong.
Sorry I must have confused you with the other one with the same question.

Your case is much easiler. Please try to remove the following, reboot and test, and then install them one by one, rinse and repeat:

advanced-clock-plugin (known to be stable now, so you may skip this)
advanced-power
advanced-power-monitor
callnotify
mycontacts
per-contact-ringtones
shortcutd*

*some said shortcutd is okay, so you may leave it behind for the moment.

P.S. My apology to the maintainers of the above packages listed. Just trying to figure out the problem and this might eventually help improving yours.

Tags
you're a mess