Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
... and all the while you can stand on your virtual soapbox at the TMO intersection and spew out multipage diatribes on how ipad represents all that is base and vulgar in man ...

... you dont happen to have a wild bushy beard - carry a megaphone and wear a white robe with a sign drapped over it in real life do you ?
Whoa, that's an accurate analogy.

Bottom line is, you need to gain marketshare somehow in this world to participate in it. If you want to make a difference to the world (be it positive or negative), then you have to be successful first.

Otherwise, you'll be the righteous guy shouting at everyone else with nothing to show.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Bottom line is, you need to gain marketshare somehow in this world to participate in it.
So if you aren't instantly massively popular, you should just never try? Well, screw innovation then. At least, innovation by anyone not Apple, Google, or Microsoft.

If you want to make a difference to the world (be it positive or negative), then you have to be successful first.
I think there's a difference between "being successful" and "making an effort," otherwise you are instantly successful or you can never be successful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have an ipad and the single best thing about it is the battery life. Other then that there is nothing to write about. But it definitely is for Idiots who don't have any idea about tech.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@ysss,
I think contributions, even small, can be massively influencial at the right place/time and are not solely dependent on marketshare. This has been shown in art and science over the ages.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@wmarone: I would argue that in this case (mobile platforms) we DO need to marketshare to fund our cause. Just look at where Nokia (and maemo) ends up with without sufficient fuel to prople them further.

@capt'n: yes, but usually the beneficiary is someone else. (another creator most likely, capitalizing on said art/tech)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
no n900 multitasking so no buy.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@capt'n: yes, but usually the beneficiary is someone else. (another creator most likely, capitalizing on said art/tech)
Indeed, my friend.. And good point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
My friend told me the iPad 2 is awesome because it has an A5 core.
I disputed with him telling him it has an ARM Cortex A9.
He told me I was a liar, that Apple officially said it was the A5 core.

... I thought for a second .... told him he was correct, it is called/nicknamed "The A5 processor". But the core is still an A9.

He called me a liar. I tried to reason with him.
I tried to explain that although the Apple A4 and the Hummingbird processors are different, they both are based on the Cortex A8 reference and thus are very very similar. And that, its the same thing with the Apple A5 and Tegra2 for the Cortex A9. Still called me a liar, said I was changing my story when "he proved I was wrong".

I told him I only changed it when I realized what he was saying, and told him I thought he meant the ARM Cortex A5 processor (eg Eagle). I told him after the ARM11 set, came the Cortex A8, then the Cortex A9, then the Cortex A5 (which isn't commercially available on any device).

He got confused and I tried a few different analogies (you are a man, but also a husband .... they're different things but you are both of them). He said he based this on the fact that he watched a 90minute video on the apple site.

I told him I based these off because I'm a geek and know more background knowledge than him. He still looked at me like I was dumb, and kept repeating why I wasn't listening to him, and instead just arguing. Yes he has the iPhone 4.

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-03-10 at 03:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Engadget has a glowing review of the iPad2! It seems like the best one so far!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review

It seems like a very clean and polished device!

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
My friend told me the iPad 2 is awesome because it has an A5 core.
I disputed with him telling him it has an ARM Cortex A9.
He told me I was a liar, that Apple officially said it was the A5 core.

... I thought for a second .... told him he was correct, it is called/nicknamed "The A5 processor". But the core is still an A9.

He called me a liar. I tried to reason with him.
I tried to explain that although the Apple A4 and the Hummingbird processors are different, they both are based on the Cortex A8 reference and thus are very very similar. And that, its the same thing with the Apple A5 and Tegra2 for the Cortex A9. Still called me a liar, said I was changing my story when "he proved I was wrong".

I told him I only changed it when I realized what he was saying, and told him I thought he meant the ARM Cortex A5 processor (eg Eagle). I told him after the ARM11 set, came the Cortex A8, then the Cortex A9, then the Cortex A5 (which isn't commercially available on any device).

He got confused and I tried a few different analogies (you are a man, but also a husband .... they're different things but you are both of them). He said he based this on the fact that he watched a 90minute video on the apple site.

I told him I based these off because I'm a geek and know more background knowledge than him. He still looked at me like I was dumb, and kept repeating why I wasn't listening to him, and instead just arguing. Yes he has the iPhone 4.
Your tales intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your journal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:

Tags
apple, xoom > ipad2