Active Topics

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Swappolube did not fix my copy large file problems. This did. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
Me Neither. I've set nightfire values from 1st post and Epitaph tune-up's, and can't find any real improvement when overloaded in contrast with only swappolube. For example, opening Facebook in my device paralyze it for about half a minute.. or opening Chromium, or installing some app (specially using HAM)...
Internet Browsing in MicroB was getting laggy don't know why, and after applying epitaph's tweaks it lags less but sometimes simply won't load anything... So don't know...

What really amaze me is people getting so heavy about this. It's clear there is no bug at all here, and that using SD-only swap seems to be the best try as both epitaph and nightfire has found, even if epitaph won't accept it (but that's not a bug at all).
(But my uSD is veery slow so i won't do that)
Ur right I don't accept it but thank u for ur help!

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-03-07 at 08:35.

Just a heads up this also works very well for me. Especially with unpacking of large zipped files etc I tried using the webos game manager this morning my m900 struggled unpacking the ipk files for settlers and eventually it crashed out with a full reboot also the ui was very unresponsive during that period.
I used the settings described here and it worked a treat and a hell of alot faster and no real impact in terms of responsiveness .
Glad I remembered about this post :¬)
Cheers
Nick

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niko3d For This Useful Post:
Anyone had any luck getting these settings to apply at boot?
I've tried pretty much everything I can think of but can't get /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to report any value other than "100" after a clean boot.
So far I've tried adding a script to /etc/event.d using the "start on startup" event, creating a script in rc2.d and rcS, none of which have any effect.
If I run the same script manually after boot, then all works nicely.
Anyone got any clues what I'm doing wrong?

Originally Posted by thingonaspring View Post
I've tried pretty much everything I can think of but can't get /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to report any value other than "100" after a clean boot.
So far I've tried adding a script to /etc/event.d using the "start on startup" event, creating a script in rc2.d and rcS, none of which have any effect.
I just put my settings near the end of /etc/event.d/rcS-late.

I'll be releasing a debian package soon as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Seatle, WA
Originally Posted by thingonaspring View Post

I have my own scripts which does host of things including this settings.

just copy and paste the rcS-late to whichevever you want. keep it in /etc/event.d

now here is the main thing to remember. Do not repeat do not make any typos in the script as for me some how when I have given dirty__ instead of dirty_ the script stopped going forward hence all settings were not coming through.

I modified this error and rebooted and voila all my settings are taking in to effect.

Thanks guys, that worked first time :-)

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
hmmm.. tried the scripts in the first post... didn't seem to make much of a difference....

Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
hmmm.. tried the scripts in the first post... didn't seem to make much of a difference....
You'll only notice a difference under intense I/O. Try writing a 2gb file to your SD card with the standard configuration... it'll tend to lock the device up. Then try it with these settings.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
You'll only notice a difference under intense I/O. Try writing a 2gb file to your SD card with the standard configuration... it'll tend to lock the device up. Then try it with these settings.
Settings seemed to help me last time I was doing a large untar.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post: