Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Still got a year to go with my N900 so not sure yet.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Looks like a problem on the proximity sensor affected by magnet in your pouch. ^^
They definitly not happening all the time, usually after a few days without rebooting the device.

Originally Posted by Catacylsm View Post
Next phone must be able to multitask like a whore,
Have a community like this
Multitouch
KeyBoard
Infrared port (And the apps to go with it..duh...)
Oh it needs Maemo or Meego
And the best browser out (MicroB)

Because the android and iOS browser,

Still suck in comparison.
Meego is sure an option. I am waiting the official release.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
If N950 will become in a reality and it is as open as the n900; I would do with it... otherwise, I will continue enjoying my n900 until its death

Originally Posted by mattedm View Post
I had the same problems after the n900 had an uptime of 2-3 days. The phone app would take far too long to load. I believe it was caused by the phone having to write to swap before freeing enough memory to load the phone application. I installed and used swapolube and phones running great! It make the more ram free and really improves the performance. Give it try, it eased a lot of my fustration with the phone.
Thanks, I will definitly try swapolube.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by kangyu29 View Post
They definitly not happening all the time, usually after a few days without rebooting the device.
Then that must be some apps went wild. It could be solved.

Try to solve the problem by applying those optimization proposed to you is just like stop the bleeding with duct tape.

Originally Posted by Turkishflavor View Post
LG Optimus 7 LE 900
WP os? I don't know about this.

Last edited by kangyu29; 2011-03-12 at 11:54.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I'm really happy with my N900 and use it extensively as a business smartphone, PDA and as Linux device. There are lots of bugs and silly limitations, but on the whole it's excellent.

I find the form factor (size, keyboard, stylus) very usable and practical too.

Except for two things that stand out:

- Web video no longer works. Usually it's "you have the wrong
flash version" (+ download link (roll-eyes)), but even if that's ok
then the video is very choppy on all sites I've tried for months.
This is sad as the N900 was good at web video when it came out.

- Worry about the USB connector breaking off.

So I would be looking for a replacement device with at least similar functionality to the N900, and those two issues fixed.

Sadly there is no such device at the moment, nor any in development that I know of. There's also no guarantee of being able to get a replacement new N900 when this one breaks.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
N900 going to very hard to beat when you look at the pure versitality of it so no idea when or even if anything will match it even in the distant future.

One thing the N900 has taught everyone is how much it can actually be hacked and that is a first and probably a last for Nokia and i very much doubt any other manufacturer will even have the guts to bring out such a playable device for a long time !.

Anything in the future would have to be 100% open source because people have been burnt by the lack of support on the N900 and will watch very carefully from here on before getting involved in such a device again.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-03-12 at 12:56.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
N900 going to very hard to beat when you look at the pure versitality of it so no idea when or even if anything will match it even in the distant future.

One thing the N900 has taught everyone is how much it can actually be hacked and that is a first and probably a last for Nokia and i very much doubt any other manufacturer will even have the guts to bring out such a playable device for a long time !.

Anything in the future would have to be 100% open source because people have been burnt by the lack of support on the N900 and will watch very carefully from here on before getting involved in such a device again.
Would it be so hard to use some punctuation?

Anyhow, the N900 is a great device, I agree. But it doesn't have to be 100% open source and no one will ever build a completely open source mobile device, for some pretty good reasons.

It's naive to expect a manufacturer to do it, but Nokia are by far the most open. And I believe they'll continue to be with their MeeGo line, even if it is just a continuation of this NIT line of products, aimed at enthusiasts. Which is fine for me.

Tags
maemo rocks, meego rocks, meego?hell no!