Notices

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I have FBreader v08.17 on a Maemo OS2008 and I would like to use to search/read reference and translation dictionaries

I know that FB Reader can only read mobipocket format without DRM, however, Ithink my ebooks have no DRM.

One is wikipedia(Spanish), and in theory since it is not a commercial book I think it shouldn't have DRM, when I try to add to library, FBreader gives the message "Couldn't open: Unsupported compresion method"
The same error happen when Oxford ALD, and Chambers dictionaries

On the contrary I could open one mobipocket english dictionary (Wordnet) and I can access to the data. However, there isn't a search index, to search in the topics. I can use the normal search function but to search in the entire content instead of topics but it is useless.

Are you using FBreader with these kind of data?
any way to have wikipedia in a maemo OS2008?

also wondering if it was possible to have library sorted by last read...

They are probably compressed with Huffman Compression format, you need to remove this compression to use them in fbreader. there is a python script that is out there that can remove this compression.

More info on mobi format
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

The Following User Says Thank You to pataphysician For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Would you prefer to get relatively uninformed opinons or would you like your queries read by the extremely smart and responsive maintainer of the FBreader program? Apparently you want the former. Otherwise you would use Power Search and find the active FBreader thread where he constantly responds and often changes how FBreader works when asked to.

As far as the mobi dictionaries go, fbreader doesn't currently support the dictionary search index portion of the mobi format. I guess you could ask the maintainer, but my guess is this would require quite a bit of work to implement. I don't think even the Kindle supports the full mobi dictionary index.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I saw this thread about FBReader and it is massive, I read some pages and I used the search option to look for the same problem I have. Furthermore I think the doubts shouldn't go to this generic threads, but of course to have the freedback of the maintainer is great..

pataphysician answer is useful, I hope the problem be compression. Anyway I will try to remove this compression,

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Would you prefer to get relatively uninformed opinons or would you like your queries read by the extremely smart and responsive maintainer of the FBreader program? Apparently you want the former. Otherwise you would use Power Search and find the active FBreader thread where he constantly responds and often changes how FBreader works when asked to.

Another possibility for you is that there is an official Mobi Reader for PalmOS, you could run this under Acess softwares Garnet VM, which is a PalmOS VM. The only issue is the VM has limited memory size, but there is information on using Virtual SD cards with Garnet on this forum, which would expand space for the books. Not sure how well this would work.

Tags
bada rox