Hi Everyone, Planning to go to Italy in June and will be staying in Southern Tuscany.I plan to leave the laptop home and will bring along my new N800. Has anyone traveled to europe and used their 800 and what was your experience? Will my mail continue to download from Aol? do I have to do anything or download any apps to get ready for a trip?

Thanks for your help.

wifi is wifi is wifi...as long as you can get a connection everything should work as if you were at home. Except of course the time zone thing...

The Following User Says Thank You to jmancine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
WiFi hotspot are not common in Italy.
You need some luck to be close to one.
If you've got an unlocked phone with bluetooth and GPRS/EDGE,UMTS(WCDMA) support, I would suggest you to go buy a TIM prepaid SIM card (you get it in minutes and it'll be activated in a few minutes too) and pay around 20-25€ to get Internet.
TIM provides Internet over GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, TIM WiFi Hotspots included in the option (you can get up to 9Gb of data for 20 or 25 euros!).

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Yeah, the big issue is getting Wifi access. What APs there are in Italy are locked down. (I see Alice APs all over town, but they're probably residential). If you're going to a hotel with Wifi, make sure they really do have wifi, and don't just claim it.

The way SIM cards work in Italy is:
A. You go to a retailer (rivenditore) specializing in cellphones.
B. You ask to buy so-and-so a prepaid card.
C. They make you fill out a form, including your residence in Italy (use your hotel)
D. They photocopy your passport.
E. You pay them.
F. They tell you they will "Fax in the forms tonight at 7:30" and you should see activation shortly after that.
G. You come back the next morning, and make them fax the forms in. Be aggressive. This is called rompere le scatole (well, it's called something else, but this is a family board), and it's how things get done in Italy. Experts will point out that you can skip the "next morning" bit and start breaking balls immediately, and get better results. Foreigners, however, should be circumspect in adopting unfamiliar local customs.
H. Service is activated shortly thereafter.

Oh, and you'll want to make sure your phone can work on European GSM networks. (tri-band at least)

So, in short, the N800 will be just as effective as a laptop for your trip.

You'll want to load up the region on Maemo-Mapper before you go.

The Following User Says Thank You to DingerX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
Try googling "wifi hotspots" and the city/cities you'll be staying in. That might turn up something. Otherwise, tethering your N800 to a phone there might be the way to go.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by devaler View Post
Try googling "wifi hotspots" and the city/cities you'll be staying in. That might turn up something. Otherwise, tethering your N800 to a phone there might be the way to go.
...or check for Foneros...

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by DingerX View Post
Foreigners, however, should be circumspect in adopting unfamiliar local customs.
H. Service is activated shortly thereafter.
beh, non avrei potuto spiegarlo meglio di così

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Very few Wifi hotspots in Tuscany according to jiwire

you'll have no problems connecting to Italian wifi hotspots whilst over there but like the other guys have said you might have some trouble finding them! there's the option of buying a simcard or seeing if you regular service provider does any cheap data packages for going on holiday, some do these days you'll save yourself a packet and still have access.

The Following User Says Thank You to Richard G For This Useful Post:
Richard, Thank you for your response. I think I'll look into an unlocked phone and use the phone to connect.