Active Topics

View Poll Results: Vote for the N810 Winner!
jdsvid 47 37.90%
joedavi 3 2.42%
n1njatuned 40 32.26%
PKickTalk 3 2.42%
SunWalker2007 31 25.00%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Yes - re-cast your votes and go ahead and discuss the finalists or other entries!

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Seattle-ish type area
i would have voted for the communist one
OK. . . I admit I'm a bit bummed I didn't make it, but at least one person would have voted for me. : )

I'm quite glad to see my 3 favorites make it - now who to vote for. . . . ???

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Threadbump! Great videos!

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I love people that spend their time helping people.
Now I want to help them too.

It's a shame I can only cast one vote.

Really hope these aren't staged!

Jennifer: That N810 better not go to your husband

Incidentally - what stops people from signing up with bogus accounts and voting? Will votes only be counted from forum members who've been online/discussed topics/are active members? Not that anyone here would be so bogus ... it's just a thought is all.

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
This was not easy, but we worked it out...

...extra special thanks to Reggie, John Tokash, and Jonathan Greene for helping on this...
My vote is in and you guys did great.

Based on the criteria, you picked the best finalist:

Real-world consumer applications.
Originality.
value of mobile Internet access.
sites you use and the features of an Internet Tablet.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Discuss? Ooookay! There's a few which think out of the box - - right out of the box it was bought in. IE pretty much web browser only use. I would've gone with some others but the poll's showing that too. I still woulda gone with icerabbit and DentalHTCorp... to me those showed daily use amazingly, and didn't stick to one particular app (web) that could be used a billion different ways.

This is the second fun party about being a community that rubs shoulders with opensource. Everyone has an opinion!

Everyone did great though, seriously, and I think (I can speak for myself anyway) everyone had tonnes of fun. Good luck to everyone!

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
I have an opinion but I'm not sure I ought to share it. I'm told if you don't have anything nice to say...

Honestly, my favorite video made it in so that's good. I didn't think I'd actually make it to the top five, but that doesn't mean I'm not a little bummed atm

Of course, some videos I didn't really like also made it in. Interesting how we all might have chosen differently; I wonder, how much overlap might there have been if a survey of everyone's top 5 had been taken...

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Great contest Thoughtfix, I really like the idea of the N810 Giveaway, you have probably done more with this 1 contest to get the word out about Nokia's IT's then Nokia has in the past year which is quite sad and will probably continue until someone there figures out how to promote their great IT products..

This is just my 2 cents on your 5 finalists from watching their submitted videos.

#5-joedavi , probably could have been better laid out video wise but still a great and galiant effort.

#4-n1njatuned-A great presentation and good reasons for getting and using an N810.

#3-PKickTalk-I think what you're doing and have done in your filmmaking ventures is really great, but to win the N810 I don't think it'd be fair to maybe some of the other candidates. If you want an N810 maybe you could sell one or both of your MacBooks, your iPhone maybe that other phone that umpteen megapixel camera and that fine looking HD video camera.. Then you could get yourself a N810 and probaly get a doz or so OLPC's to take and give to the people you spoke about on your next trip.

#2-jdsvid-Man I really wanted to vote for you and it took till now not to as I think the one I am voting for really lives up to the reason this contest was created for. Maybe somebody will get you one somehow someway down the road..

#1-SunWalker2007-I think this one most holds up to the reason the contest was created, and you'd def not want to carry around a full sized laptop on your journey, even an EEE PC would probably be too bulky, I think with an N810 and an extra battery pack or two and maybe a solar charger in your backpack would do you a fine job.

I believe in the instance that Sun outlined in his video, he would be able to make the most use of the N810 and be able to promote and show the most people on his journey's of it's great features and portability.

I just don't think from what PKickTalk had outlined in his video, that the N810 would be the ideal product in that enviroment, I really think the OLPC would be a much better fit.

A very fine job done by all those who submitted their videos.. (I wish I was even almost as talented as these contestants were, GOOD JOB to all)

The Following User Says Thank You to TTgowings For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Jennifer: That N810 better not go to your husband
Are you *kidding*? He has his ancient little Zaurus to play with. He didn't even know about the Nokia tablets until I told him, and no way is he getting to touch mine if I get one. I'm possibly a bigger geek than he is in some ways, and he's a long-time sysadmin.

Of course I'd have to hide it from the 8-year-old as well...

I did have a great time making the video, and learning to thoroughly hate Windows Movie Maker.

And Hedgecore -- for "out-of-the-box", I took it to mean something you could do with the device right out of the box, literally, not metaphorically. Go back and read the original contest message. Mind you, one of the first things I'd definitely install would be VNC...and I actually meant to make that clearer in my video, but forgot a bit of text screen. Ah well!

Anyway - congrats to the other finalists (and I was surprised by a few videos that didn't make the cut too!), and good luck to everyone. And if whoever wins already owns a N800, I'll buy it off of you.

-Jennifer