Active Topics

Hi n900 folks. Been trying to partition my 8 gb SD card, following instructions at http://wiki.nitdroid.com/index.php?title=N900-install. However, I get stuck at unmount with a message that says:

umount: cannot umount /dev/mmcblk1p1: invalid argument

Could someone please help me get past this stage? I have tried everything I know (not much) and it still gives me the same message.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
According to other posts here with the exact same error message, mmcblk1p1 probably isn't mounted.

type:
Code:
mount
- does mmcblk1p1 show in the list?

Oh, and: http://forum.nitdroid.com/

Originally Posted by jedi View Post
According to other posts here with the exact same error message, mmcblk1p1 probably isn't mounted.

type:
Code:
mount
- does mmcblk1p1 show in the list?

Oh, and: http://forum.nitdroid.com/
I entered the code and, yes, found this in the list: /dev/mmcblk1p1 on /media/mmc1 type vfat...

Then tried to unmount again and got the same message: umount /dev/mmcblk1p1: Invalid argument. What else can I do

try
sudo gainroot (needs rootsh installed)
umount /dev/mmcblk1p1
OR
sudo gainroot
umount /media/mmc1

Last edited by LTman; 2011-03-29 at 16:47.

Can anyone plz tell me how to remove partition from my 16 gb mmc

@shardul if the instructions on the wiki are to complicated for you
then put the memory carcd in your phone (connected in usb mass storage mode) or a card reader then repartition it using a app like win 7 /vista part manager or gparted (google those for more detailed instructions) into to 2 partitions where first ine is 14.wgb and the other is 1.3gb then format the first as fat32 and the second as ext3

@shardul if the instructions on the wiki are to complicated for you
then put the memory carcd in your phone (connected in usb mass storage mode) or a card reader then repartition it using a app like win 7 /vista part manager or gparted (google those for more detailed instructions) into to 2 partitions where first ine is 14.wgb and the other is 1.3gb then format the first as fat32 and the second as ext3

I have Vista. Can I also use Vista to reformat and partition my sd card. And will that work in installing Nitdroid?

By the way LTman, I reformatted my SD Card using Vista, but couldn't partition it. I tried the formatted card on my N900 and checked to see if it was mounted. I saw it in the list generated by the code "mount" in xterminal. However, when I tried to unmount, I ended up at exactly the same spot: umount /dev/mmcblk1p1: Invalid argument.. Can someone please help me get past this?

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Windows does not create partitions on the SDcard, therefore formatting the raw device /dev/mmc1.
Use your phone FileManager to format the card instead to get the partition /dev/mmc1p1, which is necessary to go on .