Active Topics

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
It's just done it randomly in my pocket, the only thing running is skype (which has always been running), modest (which has always been running), and haze plugin, which hasn't always been running. Anyone had any issue with the haze plugin causing this?

You might want to edit Modest so it doesnt startup automatically,

Here is how you do that, first make sure you have leafpad text editor installed.

Code:
root
apt-get install leafpad
cd /usr/share/applications/hildon/
leafpad modest.desktop
Now look through the text file for all the things that begin with X-Maemo-Prestarted and delete them entries.

This will stop modest from automatically starting itself. It will only open in the background when you connect to the internet or it you open it manually.

Give that a try, also let me know how using htop went to find out the application draining ur memory

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post

Here is how you do that, first make sure you have leafpad text editor installed.

Code:
root
apt-get install leafpad
leafpad modest.desktop
Now look through the text file for all the things that begin with X-Maemo-Prestarted and delete them entries.

This will stop modest from automatically starting itself. It will only open in the background when you connect to the internet or it you open it manually.

Give that a try, also let me know how using htop went to find out the application draining ur memory
Thanks for the tip. Will modest remain open once i open it if it's set to update automatically? I do need emails and it's a pain to manually refresh all the time, plus modest wasn't a problem before.

Installed htop, pretty confusing but currently it says 192 total tasks, 1 running. Sorted it in order of memory usage and '852 root' is at the top with 6.5%.
I'll keep an eye on it

Code:
root
apt-get install leafpad
leafpad modest.desktop

Thanks for the tip. Will modest remain open once i open it if it's set to update automatically? I do need emails and it's a pain to manually refresh all the time, plus modest wasn't a problem before.

Installed htop, pretty confusing but currently it says 192 total tasks, 1 running. Sorted it in order of memory usage and '852 root' is at the top with 6.5%.
If i update modest then root goes to 7.3%, modest takes up a whole bunch of processes all at 6.1%, and it says at the top for mem: 173/239, when i update modest also it brings up swap at 173/767mb

That mean anything to you?

browserd is taking up 7 slots, each using 12% memory. What's that process? also xorg

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
browserd is taking up 7 slots, each using 12% memory. What's that process? also xorg
BrowserD has multiple uses but if u close em one by one, you wil unfortunately find out that one was vital and your N900 will reboot :P Speaking from experience with tht one :P

The Xorg is another system process. Al of your processes seem fine :s

Maybe try and unisntal everything from extras-devel and extras-devel and see what one solves the problems?

Also I am not sure about the Modest thing, al that fix does isj ust stop i from automatically opening on startup.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

BrowserD has multiple uses but if u close em one by one, you wil unfortunately find out that one was vital and your N900 will reboot :P Speaking from experience with tht one :P

The Xorg is another system process. Al of your processes seem fine :s

Maybe try and unisntal everything from extras-devel and extras-devel and see what one solves the problems?

Also I am not sure about the Modest thing, al that fix does isj ust stop i from automatically opening on startup.
Well so far uptime is 20 hours and no problems, haven't done anything different except uninstall and reinstall fastsms

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Did you read the warning on extras-devel? It's there for a reason. You sound like you have lots of stuff installed from devel, and don't really understand what all of it's doing or how they could interact. Just from the what you've said, you have overclocking, fastsms, haze plugin, htop, kasvopus, TwimGo, and a couple others.

And you've installed them all since you reflashed to PR1.3 last week? You should really space them out a little so if one's causing problems you can notice and fix it. Since you've installed them all at once, it's kind of hard to tell what one thing, or set of things, may be causing it. For that matter, we don't know what else you've installed... It could be another app running that's not showing on the top list but taking up lots of memory. Try loading up top again and hitting "m" to show what processes are eating memory, since that's probably the root cause of your issue.

Add to that you're doing lots of things at once: 4 IMAP accounts, skype, IM connectivity, documents to go, all while connected to wifi apparently, since you have no cell data plan? Yes, it may actually run out of memory if you have all that going at once. This is not a desktop computer.

Also, in your top list, tracker is running, which tracks media, thumbnails, etc... Maybe it's having a hard time keeping up? Or maybe it's database is corrupt, or too large? Have you tried resetting it's database and letting it rebuild clean?

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Did you read the warning on extras-devel? It's there for a reason. You sound like you have lots of stuff installed from devel, and don't really understand what all of it's doing or how they could interact. Just from the what you've said, you have overclocking, fastsms, haze plugin, htop, kasvopus, TwimGo, and a couple others.

And you've installed them all since you reflashed to PR1.3 last week? You should really space them out a little so if one's causing problems you can notice and fix it. Since you've installed them all at once, it's kind of hard to tell what one thing, or set of things, may be causing it. For that matter, we don't know what else you've installed... It could be another app running that's not showing on the top list but taking up lots of memory. Try loading up top again and hitting "m" to show what processes are eating memory, since that's probably the root cause of your issue.

Add to that you're doing lots of things at once: 4 IMAP accounts, skype, IM connectivity, documents to go, all while connected to wifi apparently, since you have no cell data plan? Yes, it may actually run out of memory if you have all that going at once. This is not a desktop computer.

Also, in your top list, tracker is running, which tracks media, thumbnails, etc... Maybe it's having a hard time keeping up? Or maybe it's database is corrupt, or too large? Have you tried resetting it's database and letting it rebuild clean?
ok,
1) it's not all been installed since last week,i've been using that stuff for a long time, i flashed 2 weeks ago.
2) I do have a data connection but i'm abroad so i'm not using it
3) I haven't installed anything new in a long time because of a broken microUSB, the only new things are twimgo and kasvopus, which DO cause exit problems and memory problems, but yesterday it did it without me opening either of them since a reboot.
4) Already done the 'memory' in htop, and if you read up a few posts you'll see i said what the top outputs were.
5) The IMAP accounts sync every 30 minutes - they used to be instant but the other day i changed it to see if it impacted battery life.

How do i reset tracker database? And if i do that will i have to reinstall all my music, videos, pictures etc?

Last edited by richwhite; 2011-03-25 at 22:31.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I would like to make my small contribution to the growing community. I got the same message while trying to open a newly received email. Then I realized that I could open some emails i received before and some I could not and I would simply get the error message.

I had disconnected from Wi-fi and then connected manually with the wrong connection while downloading email messages. This I think caused the problem because I was also signed in through skype and google talk. I tried to turn off and turn on the phone but it did not resolve the issue.. So in the end I turned off the automatic availability button for skype ad google talk and my emails started working faster and i could open them all. I turned the availability back on and now its ok. I guess the accidental connection shuffle which i executed while the phone was doing stuff in the background caused some memory problem...

Hope this expiriece of mine helps someone with the same problem.