Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I will have to wait untill the next one comes in for repair, i did post some pics on here but not a complete fix with pics.
@abill_uk: Where are you located? in the UK as your handle might suggest? Maybe I'll bring mine in to be a model!!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by slcp View Post
@abill_uk: Where are you located? in the UK as your handle might suggest? Maybe I'll bring mine in to be a model!!
If your device is less than 2 years old then i strongly suggest you go to Nokia service centre as i believe Europe has 2 yrs warranty.

What Textrat is trying to accomplish is that ALL N900's to be replaced under the design flaw fault and if done this way then you get a Nokia repair and not a private one that WILL invalidate your warranty.

I was looking at performing the cable fix myself as I erroneously thought I only had a 12 month warranty and had a terrible experience previously with my Nokia Care Centre and trying to get my N900 fixed for another problem.

So, I have removed the shield for the part of the board by the camera and USB port to get a look at the connections, I have also damaged the keyboard bezel when handling it. Neither of these affect the usage of the device...
@abill_uk: Worth a shot you think despite the above?

I am lose faith in companies quite easily and did not get on well with Nokia Care Centre the last time I had a problem...

I couldnt even get them to replace my audio jack or do something when it was 4 months old which still barely works...it was sent away to nokia and was marked as having the audio jack replaced and yet still did not work properly.

@abill_uk: Worth a shot you think despite the above?

I am lose faith in companies quite easily and did not get on well with Nokia Care Centre the last time I had a problem...

I couldnt even get them to replace my audio jack or do something when it was 4 months old which still barely works...it was sent away to nokia and was marked as having the audio jack replaced and yet still did not work properly.
Take it back and try again, if at first you do not succeed try try again is the way it goes.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Take it back and try again, if at first you do not succeed try try again is the way it goes.
Then if I get bored get soldering

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by pqs View Post
Hi,

Since last week my N900 is not charging with the wall charger, nor with the external battery that Nokia shipped with my phone (Spain), but it does charge when connecting it to my PC.

The USB port of the phone seems loose, but I can't understand why the phone charges when connected to the computer and not when connected to the charger. So, I'm not 100% sure it is broken. Maybe it is a software problem. I don't know.

What do you think?

I guess I should call Nokia support.
Please don't be complacent ... this is exactly how my problems started ... the main charger stopped working at all, but it would sill charge intermitantly with the computer and would charge just fine with the adaptor that was initially supplied with the phone and my old n70 (not USB) charger ... unless you know you have a faulty charger (and if it's happening with more than one charger then you don't!) then you have the USB port problem and need to back-up before your USB port comes properly lose! ... it took about 2 weeks from initial charging problems to the point where my USB pulled completely away!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
Please don't be complacent ... this is exactly how my problems started ... the main charger stopped working at all, but it would sill charge intermitantly with the computer and would charge just fine with the adaptor that was initially supplied with the phone and my old n70 (not USB) charger ... unless you know you have a faulty charger (and if it's happening with more than one charger then you don't!) then you have the USB port problem and need to back-up before your USB port comes properly lose! ... it took about 2 weeks from initial charging problems to the point where my USB pulled completely away!
OK, then I have a hardware problem.

What do you think is better? To call Nokia now or wait for a total failure? I fear that if I contact them now they will try to convince me there is no problem.

What do you think is better? To call Nokia now or wait for a total failure? I fear that if I contact them now they will try to convince me there is no problem.
Take your device plus charger to Nokia care and show them charger not charging the device, they will soon check that on the spot and if phone faulty they will send it off for repair or replacement.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK

... the first thing to do (if you can do it today - I waited a week, and it was a mistake!) is a thorough back-up ... either to your computer or a removable microSD ... there is a back-up app in one of the repos that should give you a total back up of your phone as it is today ... or you can use the nokia, built in back-up to save a few aspects of your current set up (including all your files & contacts) ...

... then contact Nokia immediately ... even if they manage to convince you there's no problem (and they won't!) you don't lose anything as once the USB fails properly there's an obvious problem so you'd just contact them again.

... the most important thing is to back-up your data, before you lose the ability to move data off your phone, and then have nokia fix the USB!

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ YUL
I "solved" my broken USB port by buying a Nokia C3-00; a phone with the same battery (BL-5J) as the N900. Repair was not an option either form Nokia of third parties. My N900 have a new USB port, but it is not working. I was told the board has been damaged. Oh well ...

Interestingly, the C3-00 became my primary phone. Those Series 40 phone last forever and are cheap (>100 CAD). Not to mention the very cheap unlimited data plan that comes with feature phone in Canada (7-10$ / month). I can't believe I am going to say that but I felt in love with Series 40.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty