Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Of course, this is the wifi-only version. However, for that price, I'd like to see hardware similar to the 8.9/10.1 versions. If it's the same as the current Tab, I'm a little under-whelmed. The hardware is going to be pretty out of date in a month or so. Give me the newer hardware in the 7" package, and I'll get in line now.

Now, I may have to start re-thinking my strategy for a tablet. Previously, I wanted a tablet with 3G (insures GPS and proper market). However, as long as GPS is included, I think wifi-only may be the way to go (which should also mean non-carrier branded).

Given the current situation in the US, I'm not sure which carrier I'd want to go with. My first choice would have been T-Mobile, but that seems unlikely now (long term 3G may not work). AT&T has atrocious pay-as-you-go data plans. Verizon may cripple the tablet/try to prevent custom roms. That leaves Sprint? who may not be around too long if the AT&T/T-Mobile merger goes through.

Looks to me like the safest bet is a wifi-only tablet, tethered to a cheap phone for data. Any thoughts from other US members? dan?
You've got me, here. With fewer and fewer national carriers (now that we'll be down to three... anybody remember Cingular? Nextel? What the hell???) I'm left with little to no reasonable options. In the immortal words of Samir, "This is a suck!"
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
What size tablet do people here prefer?
5"=== a large smartphone/pmp
7"=== a giant smartphone/pmp or a tiny netbook (sans keyboard)
8.9"== a size between 7" and 10"
10"=== a size roughly equivalent to netbooks

What aspect ratio do people prefer?
4:3 === squarish so it is evenly balanced, easy to hold one-handedly in landscape for extended periods (eg ebooks)
16: 9 == rectangular so movies look great, fits webpages much more comfortably, games (eg 3D/racing) can have the controls tucked in the side in landscape mode for better experience. But its not as evenly balanced and makes it less convenient to hold with one hand in landscape mode for extensive periods.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You've got me, here. With fewer and fewer national carriers (now that we'll be down to three... anybody remember Cingular? Nextel? What the hell???) I'm left with little to no reasonable options. In the immortal words of Samir, "This is a suck!"
Have to agree, less competition+less choice = Major Suck

Maybe if enough of us goto Sprint they'll be the big winner in the At&TMob merger.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think wireless is the way to go.

I was just imagining a New Yorker cartoon -- kids and adults in a Norman Rockwell style family room, kids crawling on the floor, mom leaning in from the kitchen, each one absorbed in his or her own Tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
7"

Good size for personal viewing, still share with a friend or two. Small enough to slip in a back pocket or jacket pocket for portability. Still small enough for picture/video taking (with a decent camera)

16x9

Good for movies, games, etc. Reading isn't an issue for me in either portrait or landscape. Balance isn't a problem for me either. I've always wondered why 16x9 is fine for reading websites, but ebooks need 4x3? For some reason, everyone assumes that ereading is optimal in a format similar to traditional books, I read primarily in landscape.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Galaxy Tab? Check. Honeycomb? Cheeeeck....

http://www.thegalaxytab.com/2011/04/03/galaxytabhc/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vexQ49Iz7Ec

Wow, it's really coming along! At $400, this could be a killer HC device!

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-04-03 at 22:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hey capt'n. have you seen cast away?

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There is naturally a divide between pocketable or not. I personally visualize myself reading a book or news article and making notes with a mind-mapping app such as HiveMind and looking up locations on maps and referring to various web pages all at the same time. Doing this fluidly requires a certain amount of screenspace, so I have started thinking about ten inches as the size I need.

Since I spent my entire high school and college years carrying a spiral notebook of nearly that size, often schlepping everywhere by bus or hitchhiking without feeling oppressed, I don't see why carrying a tablet in one hand should suddenly seem like a terrible thing.

So I'm thinking small cheap pocketable cell phone and luxurious big tablet as the good combo for me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
garybaldy os is so fluid

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Hey capt'n. have you seen cast away?
Sure have... However, I don't recall Wilson actually responding to Chuck...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy