Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
This looks very interesting, but what would N900 do with a compass when no developers of, say, augmented reality s/w, consider maemo5 as a project?

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
This looks very interesting, but what would N900 do with a compass when no developers of, say, augmented reality s/w, consider maemo5 as a project?
Why would it not be interesting to have another input device on the N900? Someone else might think of something interesting to do with it.

And it might be an interesting hack to make it work. Learning something new is often enough to make it worth it. And even if it doesn't work, you learn something.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Learning something new is often enough to make it worth it. And even if it doesn't work, you learn something.
Good point, of course Being a user myself, I immediately considered the practicality of it first...

this is madness, why not just splice an I2C compass onto the SMBus and stash it in the space below the battery above the jtag port?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
this is madness, why not just splice an I2C compass onto the SMBus and stash it in the space below the battery above the jtag port?
The best chance for getting a compass to work on an n900 is for someone to take apart an original Motorola Droid (same SOC). And like you said, after they remove the part, they would then need to find space in the n900 housing.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
The best chance for getting a compass to work on an n900 is for someone to take apart an original Motorola Droid (same SOC). And like you said, after they remove the part, they would then need to find space in the n900 housing.
This compass here is what you want. There are 'exposed' I2C connections on the ribbon to the screen. All you gotta do is hookup SDA, SDC, VCC and GND...and write a driver for it. Although you could probably just use I2Ctools and a script to 'poll' it for a direction whenever you want it.

You can either try to stash it in the screen assembly (tough, not much room) or you can put it in the space below the battery ontop of the JTAG connectors (although you would have to tap another I2C bus.

Unfortunatley the component footprint of the 3 axis accelerometer is such that there are no digital compass of the same footprint. So there is no direct swap chip.

Last edited by vi_; 2011-04-05 at 13:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
This compass here is what you want. There are 'exposed' I2C connections on the ribbon to the screen. All you gotta do is hookup SDA, SDC, VCC and GND...and write a driver for it.

You can either try to stash it in the screen assembly (tough, not much room) or you can put it in the space below the battery ontop of the JTAG connectors (although you would have to tap another I2C bus.

Unfortunatley the component footprint of the 3 axis accelerometer is such that there are no digital compass of the same footprint. So there is no direct swap chip.
Wow, 6.5x6.5 mm. That's tiny; this seems doable.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
This compass here is what you want. There are 'exposed' I2C connections on the ribbon to the screen. All you gotta do is hookup SDA, SDC, VCC and GND...and write a driver for it. Although you could probably just use I2Ctools and a script to 'poll' it for a direction whenever you want it.

Maybe mod a Mugen battery backplate? Plenty of space there and you could use it for when you need a compass, then go back to the standard for everyday use.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010

Very interesting indeed and you did well to find that compass for sure !.