[Presence offline]
Name = pres_bd_sip_offline
IconName = general_presence_offline
Type = 1

[Action chat]
Name = addr_bd_cont_starter_im_service_chat
IconName = general_sms
VCardFields = X-SIP
prop-org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.ChannelType-s = org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.Text

[Action call]
Name = addr_bd_cont_starter_sip_out
IconName = general_sip
VCardFields = X-SIP,TEL
prop-org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.ChannelType-s = org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamedMedia
These are the parameters of the sip.profile found in /usr/share/osso-rtcom. The are few question I would like to ask the connoisseurs around the TMO. Those are being related to the keep-alive mechanism and keep alive period.
The first variable - keep alive mechanism - has 4 options in N900: Auto, Register, Options and Off.
As for the second variable - keep alive period - the values within the sip.profile parameters are 120 for wlan and 600 for gprs.

Thus said, my questions are:

1: What do these values stand for? (120, 600) and What does it mean?
2: If i increase or decrease these values, especially for the gprs, will it have an impact on the battery life?
3. What is the best option for the keep alive mechanism - choosing from the 4 options - in order to improve the battery life?
4. Did any of you tackle with this issue of voip/sip?

Please, take your time! No queueing!

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
1: What do these values stand for? (120, 600) and What does it mean?
Keepalive period, usually seconds; here for wifi or gsm.

2: If i increase or decrease these values, especially for the gprs, will it have an impact on the battery life?
Yes, but also the connection could brake if you try values to high, there is a min/max value for your sip/voip provider. (My option could be 600 but is auto)

3. What is the best option for the keep alive mechanism - choosing from the 4 options - in order to improve the battery life?
That depends on your provider again... not all providers support both options, I guess auto negotiates or takes register as a fall back if options does not work. (I guess Off and Auto are not considered a real option in this case. My option could be REGISTER but is Auto.)

4. Did any of you tackle with this issue of voip/sip?
Nope, as batterylife did not increase noteably from SIP/VoIP but by turning off MSN and Skype!

Last edited by chemist; 2011-04-05 at 01:17.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne
Although I don't fully understand the settings, all of the VoIP accounts I have set up have suggested using 'Auto' as the option for keep alive mechanism and keep alive period.

That said, if you are worried about battery usage (as I am!), you can just create a VoIP profile in 'My Availablity' that logs you into your accounts when you switch to it.

This means that you cannot receive or make any VoIP calls when you are not online, but it can be helpful as I don't usually receive inbound calls to any of my VoIP accounts.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by zaksloan View Post
Although I don't fully understand the settings, all of the VoIP accounts I have set up have suggested using 'Auto' as the option for keep alive mechanism and keep alive period.

That said, if you are worried about battery usage (as I am!), you can just create a VoIP profile in 'My Availablity' that logs you into your accounts when you switch to it.

This means that you cannot receive or make any VoIP calls when you are not online, but it can be helpful as I don't usually receive inbound calls to any of my VoIP accounts.
Zaksloan,
Please provide more info regarding "a voip profile in My Availability"...

Originally Posted by gorgezilla View Post
Zaksloan,
Please provide more info regarding "a voip profile in My Availability"...
Go to 'Availability'.

Select 'New status'.

Give it a name. I call mine 'VoIP'.

It should list all of your SIP/VoIP/Skype accounts. I set the availablity of all of them to 'Online'.

Select 'Save', then you're done.

When I want to use VoIP/Skype etc, I just go to to 'Availability', then select the 'VoIP' option, then 'Save', and it logs me into all of my VoIP/SIP/Skype accounts.

When I'm done, I just select 'Offline'(which has all of them set to offline) and I'm no longer connected.

Feel free to ask if you require any more help.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Romania
@ Zaksloan
Thanks, mate
Another question to you and for others is related to voip audio codecs.

Is there any voip codecs for 2G networks, thus enabling high compressions so a sip call to be properly done?

Originally Posted by gorgezilla View Post
@ Zaksloan

Is there any voip codecs for 2G networks, thus enabling high compressions so a sip call to be properly done?
Not totally sure, but I do know that the G729 codec is good over 3G. ILBC is another codec used, but I don't know how or when the N900 switches between them.

I had a go at testing and forcing different codecs in the codec .conf file, but that was over a year ago and I can't remember how to do it!

I got a new N900 in December and haven't played around with the codecs, but VoIP has been perfect for me, even over 3G, but I haven't tested it over 2G.