Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
The OP says "Having stereo quality speakers means better sharing of media entertainment with others" which means you have to be all snogging each other to be able to all "enjoy" the stereo

Having stereo is good, but not that good.
If you want to get pedantic, 'stereo quality speakers' doesn't always mean the same thing as 'stereo speakers'.

When watching video on an iPhone, I am always covering the speaker hole with my hand and muting the sound. A speaker on each side could be helpful for this. I'm always two-handing the N900 anyways, but it doesn't seem to mute as much as the iPhone does.

Besides all the Nokia N-series devices, I have an Archos 5 internet media tablet. The video display on the latter is great, but the lack of stereo sound is so annoying, that I am thinking to sell it.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Take back what I said about the speakers being too close together to get a decent stereo image, I guess you're right in that them facing outwards makes up for their proximity.

Buuuuut they are tiny, and tinny. Stereo or not, they aren't nice to listen to music on.

Also as far as I can tell, 'stereo quality' is not something that exists, or at least doesn't make sense. you either have stereo audio or you don't regardless of quality..

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I guess the OP meant "quality stereo".

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have a new answer to the OP's question:

The new Sony Xperia Play (aka Playstation Phone) indeed comes with stereo speakers.

Also, I completely agree with many posters on this thread in that stereo speakers are way better than mono - because there are two of them.

Even without stereo effects, ringtones and voice are much louder and can be heard even if one speaker is blocked.

Tags
mono blows