Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
one guy is selling his n900 by 250 bucks; i tihnk it is a nice option: i would buy an n900 again if mine would get dead.

url:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...994#post983994

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
My first N800 also had a display problem after 2 years. I bought a second new N800 on eBay that I now use. When that one goes out I plan to buy a used N800. My NIT goes with me everywhere. It's on my desk at work and then at my side when I get home. I am sitting on my sofa watching wheel of fortune with my beautiful wife of 36 years as I type this. NITs rock!
I never use it anymore, not ever since I got my Galaxy Tab (I was using it less and less after I'd gotten my first Android, anyway). It's the second one I've owned--I'd given my first one away to my sister, who didn't care that the kickstand was broken and removed off of it and that the touchscreen was somewhat off and unrepairable by Nokia, since it was free to her.

Hey, let me know when you feel like buying another N800--might as well sell it to someone that will appreciate it. I might be willing to part with mine.

Originally Posted by ebasconp View Post
one guy is selling his n900 by 250 bucks; i tihnk it is a nice option: i would buy an n900 again if mine would get dead.

url:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...994#post983994
Of course, such a lowered price could also be a sign that this is the wrong time to jump into an N900--especially since the OP's coming from an N800.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Ha seems this is alot harder than I thought...pity about maemo I really loved the look and feel (never used the newer n900 maemo) Iv also used meego for short period of time seemed amazing but couldnt use it properly due to the fact that meego didnt reconise my wifi..
I was gonna buy a ipod touch/ipad because I can use google docs ect ect but I dont run windows on any of my pc devices....I had a look at the vnc stuff in the links posted above I dont think Id feel ready yet trying something like that Im still really new to open source

Ha seems this is alot harder than I thought...pity about maemo I really loved the look and feel (never used the newer n900 maemo) Iv also used meego for short period of time seemed amazing but couldnt use it properly due to the fact that meego didnt reconise my wifi..
I was gonna buy a ipod touch/ipad because I can use google docs ect ect but I dont run windows on any of my pc devices....I had a look at the vnc stuff in the links posted above I dont think Id feel ready yet trying something like that Im still really new to open source

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Go Galaxy, a colleague of mine just bought it and it is impressive, UI is so good, its an iPhone killer anytime.

The Following User Says Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cyberboy109 View Post
If you buy an iPod or iTouch, remember that you WILL need to have a Windows or Macintosh desktop computer to connect it to so that you can run iTunes to be able to update the device. You can't ever expect to to have an up-to-date iOS device (patches, upgrades, sometimes even apps and music) device without a Mac or a Windows PC around.

This is yet another reason why I preferred to stay away from iOS (since I don't run Windows or MacOS on any of my home computers) and ended up instead going Android. Android devices feel like computers all on their own, not tethered "accessories" the way Apple seems to prefer to think of their hardware.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
1) At least you GET an update
2) The apps themselves can be updated without being tethered to a computer
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
1) At least you GET an update
True that! Nokia has been a frustrating disappointment in this front--I expected better from them. Meanwhile EVERYBODY ELSE seems to be getting

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
2) The apps themselves can be updated without being tethered to a computer
Most of the time, yep. There are exceptions, as I recall. Even then, you will rely on tethering to your Windows or Mac PC for iTunes for other functionality (like licensing info for DRM'ed content, for example).

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
IPhone is a pain in the arse. My n900 had to go for repair so I got an upgrade. Got a nexus s and love it. Got it because it'll get upgrades and doesn't have any manufacturer or operator nonsence on it. Haven't tried another similar but it's unlocked apparently. Love the n900 though. Still my favourite os.

The Following User Says Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If you buy an iPod or iTouch, remember that you WILL need to have a Windows or Macintosh desktop computer to connect it to so that you can run iTunes to be able to update the device.
You know, the funny thing is that I like the root of the iPod concept; the original iPod got away with having practically no user interface by explicitly being an extension of your PC, rather than a computer unto itself. And that's the way I used it, too -- I loved being able to listen to a podcast or something on my desktop machine, then grab the iPod and continue listening to it while driving somewhere in the car, and when I got back, just push the thing back into its dock and continue listening on the desktop again, seamlessly. My iPod was indeed just another piece of my PC.

But Apple has kind of lost its way since then. The iPod didn't have anything more than a handful of navigation buttons on the front because it didn't need anything more than that; it was, unashamedly, not a general-purpose computer. The iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad are, on the other hand, intended as general-purpose devices, and trying to shoehorn them into the highly restricted iPod paradigm is, in my opinion, just flat out nuts.

Make no mistake, I love my little N900; if I'm going to have a desktop PC experience in a hand-held form-factor, it has the OS and UI I want for the job. I just wish there was somebody out there with the guts to design an open "pod"-like device, some little thing specifically made to be tethered to a PC (but without being tied to Apple hardware and software).

Tags
android, n800replacement