Posts: 156 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Los Angeles
So i got my n900 back from a friend who was fixing it for me, and it was flashed to pr 1.3. When i open fapman it says only 968mb/2gb for apps but i don't have anything installed. Help please?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
This is normal, I'm pretty sure. This is how the N900 works - it has three partitions (four if you count swap); a rootfs partition, the /home (the whole optification thing, with the /opt directory, is part of this), which is the one you're referring to, and by default it's only 2GB, and the MyDocs partition, which is the remaining almost-30GB of space. Applications don't count this as part of "space to install apps", but most apps also put as much as they can out of rootfs into /opt, and as much as they can from /opt into the MyDocs part, to conserve room.

Assuming you knew all this, what's the problem? The N900, if I recall correctly, has about this much space taken up by default by all the stuff preinstalled on it. That said, most of this isn't exactly bad, because a lot of the preinstalled stuff is libraries that other apps use.

Also, if you stay within the apps in Extras, and don't go into Testing or Devel, you shouldn't have too many problems with apps filling up that 2GB too quickly.

I might be wrong about the above of course, but I think that's all there is to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
You are wrong, as my device had 1,97GB free in /opt/ back in times. now thay i have a lot of apps i have only 500mb free.

Did he flashed correctly?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Perhaps his friend installed then removed a lot of apps, or only flashed pr1.3 and didn't redo the memory. Sounds like a lot of stuff got left behind. But, yes on a clean full flash most of the 2gig should be free.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Apps share the 2GB /home partition with other stuff so something else is probably using up the disk space. For example, Modest, the default email app stores emails under /home. Run the following command to find out where your space under /home has gone:

Code:
du -m /home | grep -vi mydocs | sort -n
It is better to run this as root as you may not permission on to read all directories but it sounds like you don't have rootsh/sudser installed. You should hopefully be able to get some idea without running as root, otherwise you will need to install rootsh/sudser.

Sizes are in MB. The last few lines should show you which directories are using up the disk space. Remember though that the /home and /home/user totals (most likely to be the last two lines) will include MyDocs in their disk usage.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: