Notices

faster application manager gives me the following error...

Your system has partially installed or broken packages. You'll have to fix this manually. Try dpkg --configure-a

which i did...the error i got i have posted it already...i have rootsh installed and i use the sudo gainroot command before i go on to use the dpkg command...

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Please give the full output of
Code:
sudo gainroot
dpkg --clear-avail
apt-get update
dpkg --configure -a

sudo gainroot works alright...i get the following output:

Busybox v1.10.2 (Debian 3:1.10.2.legal-losso30+0m5) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built in commands.

okay...for dkpg --clear-avail there is no output...anyway i typed apt-get update after that and i got the following output...

"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem"

for dpkg --configure -a i get the following output:

"dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0003' near line 1: newline in field name '#padding'

SOLVED !!!!

this is what i did:

1.sudo gainroot
2.rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0003
3.dpkg --configure -a
4.apt-get update
5.DONE!

no need to reflash if u have the same problem that i have...

Thanks, Your suggestion has helped me with the same problem

Thanks, the below also sorted my errors out. I had just reflashed and setup my desktops and after many hours I was finally good to go until this error.Thankfully no further reflash needed! Love this phone!

sudo gainroot
dpkg --clear-avail
apt-get update

Hi Guys

I have problem installing and Uninstalling too, I have gone through this thread and followed the instructions but nothing seems to work out for me. In my case all the applications from the download section in the app manager have vanished also I cant uninstall applications anymore (even with terminal). When trying to uninstall any app, it says Unable to Uninstall and the App Manager crashes with a msg " internal error app manager closed". Also whenever i hit the update/refresh button it says "No Application/Update Available".

I doubt the problem began after installing Qt Web Runtime and Tv viewer.

PLEASE PLEASE help me as I dont want to reflash my phone...and Guys I am not at all good with Terminal but can just follow step by step instruction.

THANKYOU !

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Golian View Post
Hi Guys

I have problem installing and Uninstalling too, I have gone through this thread and followed the instructions but nothing seems to work out for me. In my case all the applications from the download section in the app manager have vanished also I cant uninstall applications anymore (even with terminal). When trying to uninstall any app, it says Unable to Uninstall and the App Manager crashes with a msg " internal error app manager closed". Also whenever i hit the update/refresh button it says "No Application/Update Available".

I doubt the problem began after installing Qt Web Runtime and Tv viewer.

PLEASE PLEASE help me as I dont want to reflash my phone...and Guys I am not at all good with Terminal but can just follow step by step instruction.

THANKYOU !
Do you have rootsh installed? If not, you can try installing it by clicking on this link from your N900. If that fails to install then you're probably stuck with a reflash.

Once you've got it installed, type the following in X Terminal, and post the output:
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get update

guys, i need a fever..
i already install debian chroot n download the images to run debian.
its work untill i used the synaptic pckge manager n my phone suddenly reboot before download completelly.
n when i try to open synaptic it says i need to use dpkg --configure -a
it also happened when i use debian chroot.
finally i type command on debian chroot "dpkg --configure -a" but it shows an error message /var/lib/dpkg/update/0071 must follow by colon.
afterwards i follow to remove using rm/var......../0071 n now it says stale nfs fie handle
do anyone have any solutions to fix it?
thnx before

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ France
Code:
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/repository.maemo.org_extras-devel_dists_fremantle_free_binary-armel_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
I post a solution anyway I found on https://meego.de/forum/sonstiges/230...et-update.html :
just delete the two files /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin and /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin

I can't explain it because it was not well explained but it worked fine for me...