Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Happy 3000th post everyone!
Congratulations! and thanks to Capt'n Corrupt for a stalwart effort.

Also, apparently some bloke called Ramos shows up from time to time, or so they tell me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post

Also, apparently some bloke called Ramos shows up from time to time, or so they tell me.
WHAT??? You better mean me. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post

Thanks Rebski, and all. This is a great thread -- contributed to by me less by sheer determination and more general enthusiasm -- and I'm so glad to have your contributions. Of course, I'm very happy for Etuoyo for starting it in the first place!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
The HTC flyer is definitely getting Honeycomb, and luckily, it will be shortly after launch.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/htc...pdate-shortly/

The only thing missing from this package is a modern SoC. Why HTC decided upon a 1.5GHz qualcomm is beyond me. Perhaps the latest gen wasn't ready in time.

New day, new Galaxy S II commercial:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/s...lly-really-th/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0OeYPODCM

This focuses on the slimness rather than 'Voice Talk'

A bit silly, though the attractive female makes up for it.

It has been confirmed that the US Asus Eee Transformer does in fact have GPS built in:

http://www.androidcentral.com/yes-as...-united-states

After a rather uninformed post on Engadget, the state of GPS in the Transformer was unknown. It has been confirmed to be included.

This would have been a major flaw of the system, but its a very welcome feature. Now the question remains. Asus Eee Transformer or Lenovo Thinkpad (with pen and a plethora of ports).

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Now the question remains. Asus Eee Transformer or Lenovo Thinkpad (with pen and a plethora of ports).
I've played with the Transformer and was almost there to buy it at 399 euros - but the guys at Mediaworld didn't apply a 10% discount coupon I had and so I got upset and went away. They had no Nexus S either. I am glad I didn't buy anything however, it was gong to be a too-much impulsive purchase (it was my b/day) and I guess I should better consider other options.

In my hands the Transformer was a very slick device, and honeycomb is intriguing. There was no external dock to test. However the lack of usb ports and the proprietary connector are important cons; the Lenovo Thinkpad promises to be much better.
Or, a Meego tablet. But every day that passes, I'm less confident in it. My faith is declining...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
In my hands the Transformer was a very slick device, and honeycomb is intriguing. There was no external dock to test. However the lack of usb ports and the proprietary connector are important cons; the Lenovo Thinkpad promises to be much better.
What did you like/hate about it. Impressions please!

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Or, a Meego tablet. But every day that passes, I'm less confident in it. My faith is declining...
Yes, this is true, but I have full faith that we'll see a Ubuntu tablet before we see a MeeGo tablet. The project is basically re-designing its UI for this purpose, and SoCs capable of running a good experience are literally around the corner. And with players like Asus/Acer/Dell/Toshiba on board and Windows promising Windows 8 on ARM, we're about to witness desktop and mobile OSs collide in a competitive environment.

I'm hoping for a linux application to run Android applications. This would be the best of both worlds for a tablet... with keyboard dock... and pen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
What did you like/hate about it. Impressions please!
OK. It was great to handle, gave an impression of thinness and lightness, better than the ipad2, even if by numbers it's heavier. The display feels large and bright, and being organized in zones it makes the ipad2 or gingerbread/froyo seem duller.
Responsivity was ok, but unfortunately wifi network was offline in the store and I couldn't test browser and internet apps.
I hoped for an usb port (didn't know the specs) but there was none. And, in a productivity-oriented device like this, it's a showstopper for me. Having usb on the dock isn't an option: I like to travel light and if I need a screen plus a keyboard dock to do what I have to do, why not use a regular notebook computer?
When I tried to shoot a photo, the tablet froze. No response from screen or hw buttons either. After couple of minutes it shut down. Restarted in good conditions, apparently.

All in all, it feels good, but it's not for my use cases. I'll look into the Lenovo when available: I like Thinkpads, I think they're sturdy and well built, plus it seems to sport everything the Transformer has, and more.

Waiting for the N950, of course. But I want some new gadget, asap...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
FYI:

Now that the Nook Color just got its promised update....

B&N @eBay has refurb units at a slight discount $225 w/ free shipping

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy