Notices

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
'ere you go! (colour + border fix)

http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/libvte4...0mh7_armel.deb

EDIT: First post updated, removed non working toolbar option from context menu. It can still be toggled through the title bar menu though like normal.
Is there any chance something like this could be done to osso-xterm in n900? No matter how hard I try I end up with 79x25. Turning the scrollbar off with gconftool doesn't seem to help (if it works at all, keep seeing this white rectangle on the right when the screen adds lines)

interesting for me, thanks

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Is there any chance something like this could be done to osso-xterm in n900? No matter how hard I try I end up with 79x25. Turning the scrollbar off with gconftool doesn't seem to help (if it works at all, keep seeing this white rectangle on the right when the screen adds lines)
I commented on several threads asking the same about a year ago. Only now have I found somebody else interested in getting exactly 80 chars across!

I might have to give cross-compiling the src another go.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, on my N800, there's an invisible, 1 pixel border around the edge of Xterm, you just can't see it.

This .deb removed that border.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=11

I now have a 80x25 screen which is the same as you guys are wanting.

I see that his file is no longer there.

If you go to this thread, you will find a download link.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=70484

When you unzip it, there will be this deb hidden in a folder.
libvte4_0.12.2-0mh7_armel.deb

Might be worth giving it a try.

It is very unlikely diablo deb would run on the n900 (add to it the fact it replaces osso-xterm and sshing to the phone might be the only way to fix it). Additionally to the 1 pixel border there seems to be a problem with switching off the scrollbar in xterm. gconftools(-2) doesn't seem to work even though there is a setting/key for it. Garage entry for osso-xterm seems to be dead since 2 years

Well, it seems like this is the real cause here.
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libvte4/

Best of luck on finding a solution.

Ok, I have found a way to _set_ the columns/rows so for example ssh client will report the required resolution (80x25) to the server. For compatibility with some servers it might help:

stty cols 80
stty rows 25

This won't make osso-xterm display 80 columns, but fooled the server that required 80. (Actually, with smaller font this should limit the display to a 80x25 rectangle, avoiding 132x... and displaying all of it)

Another way that works, but is probably not worth it: easydebian with roxterm (bit of playing with settings, undecorating the window... slow as hell, but works). There is also nice selection of VTEs from synaptic package manager, some install without problems

Yeah, Roxterm is definitely my favorite on the older N800 tablet.

It's rock solid, huge customizations, and super zippy on my end though.

But still, without modifying libvte, you'll never be able to get full use of the screen, which for me, is pretty essential.

Zippy might be if someone ported it to n900. Running emulation (easydebian) in order to run terminal (roxterm or such) makes it really hard on processor and memory.

Damion> I might have to give cross-compiling the src another go.

Please do, and just switch

#define VTE_PAD_WIDTH 0
and
#define VTE_PAD_HEIGHT 0

I know someone from the CSSU fixed greyed out chars to show up. If they could possibly allow switching the pixel-border off... I for one would be happy with what I got (still am, just being unable to take full control of the screen is a bit saddening).