Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
I got the link without testing it before. Same problem here.

If tomorrow I have a free time try to look the code and make it works.

Here is a fix. All these applications use a common library called nokia-utilities. I have patched the library to write log files to /home/user/.log/ instead of /var/log/ (and it will create the .log directory as necessary, no manual intervention necessary).

I will email the author with my suggested patch later. An updated version of the library is attached to this posting, download and install and all those apps should start working, at least as far as the logfiles are concerned (and if you did give global write access to /var/log/, now is the time to reverse that.. not needed and not wanted).

FYI, the patch is as follows:
Code:
diff -u nk.old/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/nokia_utilities.py nk/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/nokia_utilities.py
--- nk.old/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/nokia_utilities.py   2007-11-16 18:54:42.000000000 +0100
+++ nk/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/nokia_utilities.py       2007-11-17 15:26:33.000000000 +0100
@@ -196,7 +196,10 @@
     global program_name, logfile, root, osso_context, context_name, app, vb

program_name=text_name
-    logfile='/var/log/%s.log' % (sys_name)
+    f='/home/user/.log'
+    if not os.path.exists(f):
+        os.mkdir(f)
+    logfile=f+'/%s.log' % (sys_name)
     # "context" must start with "org.maemo."
     context_name='org.maemo.'+sys_name
     osso_context=None
Attached Files
File Type: deb nokia-utilities_2007.11.16-9b_all.deb (5.4 KB, 138 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
[quote=TA-t3;96287]Here is a fix. All these applications use a common library called nokia-utilities. I have patched the library to write log files to /home/user/.log/ instead of /var/log/ (and it will create the .log directory as necessary, no manual intervention necessary).

I will email the author with my suggested patch later. An updated version of the library is attached to this posting, download and install and all those apps should start working, at least as far as the logfiles are concerned (and if you did give global write access to /var/log/, now is the time to reverse that.. not needed and not wanted).

To Do and Spend It seem to work; Calendar still doesn't start and I agree that Info On Tap is pretty useless as it stands now.

Still: Thanx muchies.

There are two problems with the calendar (in addition the the common log problem, which, if it's using logging, should be solved by the fixed library):

- It depends on icalendar but icalendar is missing in calendar's dependency list, so you have to install icalendar yourself
- The icalendar package is empty.. just directories, no files. Packaging problem.

I suspect that the way to use info on tap is to prepare a flat-file database yourself (I think that's what the readme.txt file tried to explain), I had a go at it but got some error messsages so I clearly didn't understand it correctly. But this (preparing, installing and using a database for looking up stuff) is maybe the exact use-case our locksmith (the OP) had in mind?

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-11-17 at 16:31.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
There are two problems with the calendar (in addition the the common log problem, which, if it's using logging, should be solved by the fixed library):

- It depends on icalendar but icalendar is missing in calendar's dependency list, so you have to install icalendar yourself
- The icalendar package is empty.. just directories, no files. Packaging problem.

I suspect that the way to use info on tap is to prepare a flat-file database yourself (I think that's what the readme.txt file tried to explain), I had a go at it but got some error messsages so I clearly didn't understand it correctly. But this (preparing, installing and using a database for looking up stuff) is maybe the exact use-case our locksmith (the OP) had in mind?
This is all rapidly becoming waayyy too complicated for stoopid me. Enter uninstall and move on mode...

There's been an update at the author's repository. Upgrade calend, icalendar and one more python-app and calend now starts up fine. It looks really interesting too. Apparently it can do bi-weekly and similar things, which is exactly what I'm after.

info on tap still doesn't seem usable though.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
There is yet another update of "info on tap". On my n800, it still needs the patched nokia-utilities file by TA-t3, but now it works and seems quite interesting. Congratulations to the Author! I'll test it thoroughly.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
There is yet another update of "info on tap". On my n800, it still needs the patched nokia-utilities file by TA-t3, but now it works and seems quite interesting. Congratulations to the Author! I'll test it thoroughly.
The click-to-install-arrow doesn't work (it just goes to a page with some text), and if I use Application Mangler to install, I get an error (as usual).

So, in summary: It doesn't work and it doesn't seem interesting, quite or otherwise. I also have no idea how to contact the author to tell him this...

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lakeland, FL
The text the link goes to is for the application manager to do updates. I had previously installed info_to_go and uninstalled. When I went to app manager and refreshed the applications, I was able to install the latest version. It looks like he's made a lot of progress on this application. The only problem I'm finding now is after I make a new table, set up the fields- but I'm still not able to add a new record to my field. Let's give this guy some credit though- he's doing something that we've all been wanting for quite a while.

Originally Posted by smileyninja View Post
The text the link goes to is for the application manager to do updates. I had previously installed info_to_go and uninstalled. When I went to app manager and refreshed the applications, I was able to install the latest version. It looks like he's made a lot of progress on this application. The only problem I'm finding now is after I make a new table, set up the fields- but I'm still not able to add a new record to my field. Let's give this guy some credit though- he's doing something that we've all been wanting for quite a while.
I'm giving him a lot of credit; believe it or not, the fact that I'm still trying to install his software is testimony of that.