Active Topics

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Marietta, GA, USA--Pombal, Portugal
Originally Posted by jann View Post
I tried ebay also and find the person from hongkong by the name cellphoneforever and seems like it is the most affordable. he has a lot of positive feedback. however when i look at the picture he has a white box meanwhile on youtube i find videos of unboxing were black boxes.

i don't want to end up with a n900 fake lol
Hey jann and the rest of the community I'm back :P well I finally got an n900 after years of looking for a good deal.

cellphoneforever is a coff coff half-scam
I bought mine from them

it's a real Nokia n900 but it is Not new, I had a huge fight with them because they don't understand the illegality of the sale...

To sum it up my n900 came and I concluded:
-illegally refurbished
-various parts of the phone were replaced (screen, back etc)
-in the batt compartment chinese stickers cover the nokia warranty ones
-also in there they replaced the phone's manufacturing and imei number sticker with a fake one(found that out when ddl the firmware)
-The chinese workers were smart in theory but forgot that this is no regular phone and no matter how hard they tried, they didn't know how to flash it.. so it came with lots of info on the previous owner which was from the uk, like gps coordinates, facebook logins, etc,,,

apart from that, the tablet is fine and works great after a simple flash and it feels and looks just like new not bad for 144 euros

ps: warning even though their feedback looks good to you, it isn't, 98% positive is terrible for ebay and their scams show that when you look deeper you see that they have way too many negative per month and if you search for n900 in the feedback you find stuff "refurbished with marks NOT new. Broken pieces on back, FAKE battery. Beware!!" but hey i was lucky and I'm happy considering I was stupid not to look it up at the time...

Hope it helps,
if you can buy it from someone more trustworthy like someone here or try ebay from european sellers, they always forget to mention international shipping, so ask them even if they say the only ship within their country, a lot of times they respond with a yes and some of them even sell it directly to you

The Following User Says Thank You to xPAKxMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
yer I bought two of these lol
One is great the other OK but all good for $250AUD each.. still newish.
So not complaining.. I still haven't given feed back.

Sorry for bumping a semi old (3 week old thread to be exact) but would you all still recommend buying an n900? I'm a big linux fan and know my way around the CLI pretty well. Really into hacking (pentesting) I'm a white hat (mostly) and the most attractive thing about this phone/MID is the monitor mode and packet injection. I love the idea of having root access to this phone so trivially, but still am not quite sure...is there an updated version of the n900 that will be coming out in the next couple months? Or is there another mobile device with the same capabilities/tools available? Just trying to evaluate the wisdom of purchasing the n900. Thanks In Advance!

Originally Posted by Trcx528 View Post
Sorry for bumping a semi old (3 week old thread to be exact) but would you all still recommend buying an n900? I'm a big linux fan and know my way around the CLI pretty well. Really into hacking (pentesting) I'm a white hat (mostly) and the most attractive thing about this phone/MID is the monitor mode and packet injection. I love the idea of having root access to this phone so trivially, but still am not quite sure...is there an updated version of the n900 that will be coming out in the next couple months? Or is there another mobile device with the same capabilities/tools available? Just trying to evaluate the wisdom of purchasing the n900. Thanks In Advance!
Lol, it is what it is. There is no updated version and there never will be. The N900 is a freak device the likes of which will never roll around again, one of gods own prototypes-too weird to live, too rare to die.

As a 'smart phone with appz' it is ****. As a mobile phone, it is ok. As a pocket linux computer, it is unparalleled.

You want haxing? You have access too debian's entire repo of stuff plus a complete tool chain. 'nuff said.

You want whatsapp, fruit ninja and spyware? You best look elsewhere me bucko.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Really into hacking (pentesting) I'm a white hat (mostly) and the most attractive thing about this phone/MID is the monitor mode and packet injection. I love the idea of having root access to this phone so trivially, but still am not quite sure...
Actually, if you're mostly interested in hacking, I think pretty much any of the phones out there would be the same for you. There is probably a bigger community of iPhone jailbreakers than there is of Maemo/Meego coders at this point, and you can get hacking support for just about anything.

The beauty of the N900 is that you can do real Linux coding on it, with full support from the official native OS. And with the large investment in Qt support, it is quite easy to support desktop and phone versions of a program from essentially the same codebase, including GUI support.

is there an updated version of the n900 that will be coming out in the next couple months?
Nokia has released the N9, which runs Meego; it has a faster processor and more RAM, but lacks a hardware keyboard. Unfortunately, the official line from Nokia is that the N9 is the last of the Maemo/Meego line, and they are switching to Windows Phone OS for their top-line smartphones from now on.

In short, if you want an N900, get it soon -- they aren't being made any more, and nothing quite like it is going to appear for some time, if ever...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
The N900 is a freak device the likes of which will never roll around again, one of gods own prototypes-too weird to live, too rare to die.
It certainly would seems that way. Almost all the people I know with the n900 love it unwavering, but anyone who doesn't know the potential laughs at it.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
There is probably a bigger community of iPhone jailbreakers than there is of Maemo/Meego coders at this point, and you can get hacking support for just about anything.
It's funny that you should mention the iPhone as that's the community that I am coming from, actually I run one of the few actual iHacking forums....The problem that I'm having with the iPhone though is just how closed it is. There is no way to add in custom drivers for monitor mode/packet injection with out recompiling the kernel which would be a major pain in the *** due to all the damn codesigning and **** like that. Android is not much better, they have the advantage of a true linux kernel, but are so fragmented that there isn't much hacking support from what I can see...

The beauty of the N900 is that you can do real Linux coding on it, with full support from the official native OS. And with the large investment in Qt support, it is quite easy to support desktop and phone versions of a program from essentially the same codebase, including GUI support.
Nice! Ever sense I started getting into hacking I've been playing with linux, and am always looking for a chance to learn...are there good docs on all the API hooks and what not?

Nokia has released the N9, which runs Meego; it has a faster processor and more RAM, but lacks a hardware keyboard. Unfortunately, the official line from Nokia is that the N9 is the last of the Maemo/Meego line, and they are switching to Windows Phone OS for their top-line smartphones from now on.
Damn, I hate windows phone (I think just because it's and M$ product). Does the N9 have as much available for it as the N900 as far as packages, or did the community never really take off?

In short, if you want an N900, get it soon -- they aren't being made any more, and nothing quite like it is going to appear for some time, if ever...
I really am considering getting it....I found a pretty good deal that on it, and just wanted to make sure that I wasn't make a completely stupid decision. Also glad to see that the forum is still relatively alive and that response time is measured in minutes, not days.

Thanks for the input! I'm going to do a little more research, but seriously think I am going to go for it.

The N9 is an abortion. It has completely alienated the long time fans of the NIT line. It has all the negative aspects of the n900 (**** support, no interest) coupled with the fact the only people left to give a damn about it, nokia **** all over (linux community). Only an idiot would want an n9.

Good to know. Just purchased a new N900 on amazon, I have to say even though it's a dying platform the community here still looks amazing. Should be here in a week or two, can't wait to start playing with it.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
You made the right choice. Nothing beats N900. The best phone ever. Period. N9 is a miscarriage. An iphone wanna be

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Nice! Ever sense I started getting into hacking I've been playing with linux, and am always looking for a chance to learn...are there good docs on all the API hooks and what not?
Oh, I can do far better than that: just go grab the actual Qt SDK itself. The thing is completely free, has tons of documentation, provides a full GUI-based edit-compile-test environment, and runs on Linux, OS X, and Windows. Simulators for the N900, N9, and various Symbian phones are available, so you can test your code out before you push it onto the phone itself.

It makes coding for the phone quite easy.

Does the N9 have as much available for it as the N900 as far as packages, or did the community never really take off?
As the N9 has only been out a few months, it's kinda unfair to compare software support to the N900 just yet. But, as it is essentially an orphan product right from the get-go, I don't think "app support" is ever going to be very good for it. It is Linux, though, so most of stuff I'm interested in is already there.

I don't have the same kind of negative view of the N9 as vi_ and BigBad, but I do kinda prefer the overall design of the N900 over the N9. Plus the N9 is ridiculously expensive right now. I'd still go for the N900. (I'm planning on getting a second one once I've got enough spare cash lying around...)

Last edited by Copernicus; 2011-11-30 at 22:08. Reason: misspelling

Tags
kajko the tool, kajko+elop=love, twigdouche