Active Topics

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
[QUOTE=shallimus;1104361...you also want to make sure we know you're annoying?
[/QUOTE]
Hell yeah!

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's a virtual wake, Dan.
Where's the freaking food spread, then?

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
To be fair to debernadis, he did open by saying: I didn't like him.

You don't have to like someone to have respect for them, and just because you found a story to be gripping, doesn't mean you're necessarily puffering* up the story-teller by saying so.

* N.B. "puffer" is not a verb (it's a poisonous fish)
Firstly:
Whether or not somebody opens with 'I didn't like him' is irrelevant when I wasn't addressing whether or not he liked him. Q.E.D. I was addressing the PUFF PIECE (notice the use of puff there) that was his posting, following said sentence, and replied with a debatable topical piece which showed an opposing opinion to the grandiose compliments bandied about.

Secondly:
Please, don't try to correct a fluent English speaker--especially one that worked in publishing and writing. I was using the transitive verb's second definition as shown below under "puff''.

Definition of PUFFER:
1: one that puffs
2: puffer fish
Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/puffer

Definition of PUFF:
transitive verb
1a : to emit, propel, blow, or expel by or as if by puffs : waft b : to draw on (as a cigar, cigarette, or pipe) with intermittent exhalations of smoke
2a : to distend with or as if with air or gas : inflate b : to make proud or conceited : elate c (1) : to praise extravagantly and usually with exaggeration <authors puffing their own work> (2) : advertise
Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/puffs

Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
"any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee"

Nobody is a saint, but I think people here are just trying to say goodbye to a man who simply changed the world with his dreams...personally, I don't see anything wrong with this...
Saying goodbye is fine, but let's not attribute to him a bunch of exaggerations and fabrications. In following with Godwin's law, I must now invoke the following: Would you say the same if people claimed Hitler to be a great visionary and humanitarian because he invented a car, was a vegetarian and loved children? It could be argued that he was--but MAN that would be the grandaddy of PUFFERY and a great blindness to the other things he's done.

I'm just saying that Jobs did some great business and marketing--but he was hardly inventive, creative or a visionary. There were FAR more talented people working for him, that he might have contracted or whom he had ripped off some of those "innovations" from who might have qualified for those descriptions far better than he does. I'll give him credit for getting more people to be interested in those things, though.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-10-06 at 21:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
@danramos: You agree with me that he was very charismatic??

Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
@danramos: You agree with me that he was very charismatic??
Yes, certainly. I think his church--er, company's following is evidence of that.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.
That was an interesting part of his address...

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Why? Were they effected?
I mean the ones that jumped rather than assembling any more iPhones or whatever.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I certainly respect his contributions and obvious gifts, but have issue with some decisions and principles. But overall, there's no denying he made a HUGE impact.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I might be the only dense fellow on the net who can't understand the latest xkcd. Care to explain, please?
http://www.explainxkcd.com/2011/10/06/eternal-flame/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
But overall, there's no denying he made a HUGE impact.
So did the George Bushes or Ayatollah Khomeini.

He made an impact, but not a positive one. Each and every concept he eventually made his followers accept had negative consequences for most of us, too, as the rest of the industry followed when they saw there was no more resistance in the market.

To say something positive, he could have sold anything to anyone and make them come back for more. He was good at marketing.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Steve Jobs Was Not God

Among my Facebook friends yesterday, more than one wrote publicly that they were "crying" or "can't stop crying" or "teared up" due to Steve Jobs' death. Really now. You can't stop crying, now that you've heard that a middle-aged CEO has passed on, after a long battle with cancer? If humans were always so empathetic, well, that would be understandable. But this type of one-upmanship of public displays of grief is both unbecoming and undeserved.

Real outpourings of public grief should be reserved for those people who lived life so heroically and selflessly that they stand as shining examples of love for all of humanity. People like, for example, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, who—along with his family—was bombed, beaten, and stabbed during his years of principled activism in the US civil rights movement. Shuttlesworth died yesterday, the same day as Steve Jobs. He did not die a billionaire.
Source: http://gawker.com/5847338/steve-jobs-was-not-god

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
r.i.p., steve jobs