Active Topics

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
"Capacitive is better for onscreen-keyboard typing"

And REAL KEYBOARDS ARE BETTER STILL. AND LOOK. A N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Indeed fast isn't best. I'm fastest with HW keyboard, but OSK is one-handed. Short SMS while holding coffee or cigarette is best. When posting, I get around 30 characters before I sigh, put beverage down and use my second hand on the HW keyboard.

Right now my top slowdown is the inability of the phone to stand still on the table so I can type two-handed. Followed by the key size.

So, speed-wise, stable, on table:
* Full kbd
* Stable N900 kbd
* Real N900 kbd
* One-handed OSK
* One-handed N900 kbd.
* T9

One-handed, on the run, etc NOT ON TABLE
* T9, hardware
* OSK
* N900 kbd
* T9, touch
* Full PC kbd (it's too large to thumb in)

Comfort (no rush, relaxed, key in a few words)
* Full Kbd, stable
* N900 HW (two handed)
* OSK
* T9

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
Finger interface is fine when you have a phone (or iPhone with half-VGA screen), but if you have a phone-size computer and you want to use it with complex applications you will have more information on a screen. To control it you need better precision than your fingers can give you.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I never seen any complex application with finger-friendly interface. Can anybody give me a link to an example?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slobodsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
"This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope."

Motorola MT810 Ophone to sport both capacitive and resistive digitizers, makes TV cameo

I can't tell from the pictures if it has a stylus holder.
With all respect

Developer and engineers need GUI designers and Product Designer in their teams to design good quality product. It's about differences which part of our brains is bigger

This looks like rescue solution to me.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I almost always use the stylus, and when I do use my finger I use my fingernail (palm of my hand facing away from the screen, I never actually touch my skin to the screen. This is because I get more precision, speed, and obscure less of the screen, and I also don't like to get fingerprints on my screen...

For example, if you try to use file manager and do a long-press to get the "Right click menu"", if you're right-handed and using finger, you can't even see the menu... but with stylus it's visible. The web browser is almost impossible to use without stylus unless you like to zoom in and out constantly (which I don't).

Once in a while I'll use someone else's device that has a capacitative touch screen and it makes me crazy. I press it with my fingernail and nothing happens. Then I have to put my actual finger into the other person's disgusting skin oils to use it... and then immediately wash my hands so I don't get H1N1 from their slimy screen.

Originally Posted by devu View Post

wow,originally, I'm wondering whether your hand feel soft when use it, it looks nice, seems so convenient, I had never see such gadgetry like this, I'm a little regret that bought a ordinary PDA pen a week ago from a store.

Originally Posted by cibyr View Post
I don't care about sketch apps, and I can't think of anything else where you'd actually want a stylus.

I don't want to have to use a stylus; I want to be able to use my phone just with my fingers (preferably one-handed). And I think the current success of many phones with capacitive touch screens shows that many people agree with me.
the entire asian market disagrees, writing recognition is pretty hard to do without a stylus. Unless you got an +A in finger painting.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by cibyr View Post
I can use the phone app on the N900 just fine one-handed, and I've seen plenty of people using iPhones one-handed. Web browsing in portrait mode works pretty well one-handed as well, if you're lucky enough to have text that fits on the narrow screen. I just wish there was a portrait-mode on-screen keyboard.
Well yes, maybe you can use it one hand it if you need to - but it's not comfortable.

My fingers are a little longer than average, but my thumb can only access an area of roughly 2.4" in diameter without re-positioning the device in my hand. That's plenty for all standard phones with numeric keypad, but it's definitely not enough for - well, a 3,5" area.

It could be that I have a genetic defect or so.... but then I just never see anyone operating any touch phone with one hand in real life. People even put down their shopping bags to answer a phone call with the second hand.

@benny1967

Haha, maybe it's the way your holding it? If I hold the N900 in portrait mode I can access probably 3 inches of the screen with the bottom half requiring me to bend my thumb so it contracts if I want to hit anything in the last .5 inches.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Man, do Engadget editors suck. This POS is only worth reading because of the solidarity shown by the viewers. Like I've always known, styli will come back with a vengeance. And we can only hope that it will happen in Steve Jobs' lifetime.

I'm writing this on a Mac. I'm still in shock that 'stylus' wasn't flagged as a misspelled word.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
finger fetish, rhabdophobia