Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Going to Toronto soon. How is the prices of tech? Just as cheap as us? Anyone got a great tech store close to city center.

Thx

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Exchange on the US dollar is not so good so my guess is that stuff is not as "cheap" as in US. But on the bright side, some carriers in Toronto use the right frequencies such that you can get reasonable data speeds on your Jolla phone there. So take it along!

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I bought my Treo 600 whilst on a business trip in Vancouver. I remember having paid about a third less than what I would have paid in the UK. Plus I got a tax refund (not much).

That was my only phone I ever bought new, BTW (for myself, that is).

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
According to the iPad/iPhone index prices its just slighly more expressive than US but still cheap compared with mAny other countries.

iPhone price index. Of course one must exist. Why did I not think of that?
Quite useful, actually. Even though I am never going to buy an iPhone, let alone a new one, it is still useful as a rough comparison guide for tech prices in general.

Yes, indeed. And when it comes too food. Big Mac index is your friend even though you won't eat it

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...for-a-big-mac/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
iPhone price index. Of course one must exist. Why did I not think of that?
Quite useful, actually. Even though I am never going to buy an iPhone, let alone a new one, it is still useful as a rough comparison guide for tech prices in general.
It's not the only way to get a warranty; however a new device in the US means it's one of the better ways to get a device with a warranty. Personally I have no issue with refurbished for myself; however in the US we have no laws that benefit the customer in regards to getting our devices fixed. In simpler terms, if used, we tend to pay.

That's one thing the EU has that I really do miss. The second though would be that until very recently, there was no benefit to having an unlocked phone due to the structure of our networks (read: proprietary as all get out). But even that is starting to not be the issue with phone brands and chipsets being somewhat normalized.

It's still an issue; but the used devices having little to no warranty just plain sucks in the US. I've always assumed that's why our crap cost so much less. We don't have an EU-like warranty guarantee in place.

Hmm, none of the used device warranty would apply to me anyway. I bought virtually all my phones in the past privately, either from an acquaintance or from eBay. The only two exceptions are the aforementioned Treo I bought new from the shop in downtown Vancouver and a Jolla for my other half I bought from the Jolla online shop. My own Jolla is second-hand from a fellow TMO member.

There are things like "approved second-hand" that you can buy from a dealer and those come with a warranty but tend to cost much more which is why I generally avoid them

Hmm, none of the used device warranty would apply to me anyway. I bought virtually all my phones in the past privately, either from an acquaintance or from eBay. The only two exceptions are the aforementioned Treo I bought new from the shop in downtown Vancouver and a Jolla for my other half I bought from the Jolla online shop. My own Jolla is second-hand from a fellow TMO member.

There are things like "approved second-hand" that you can buy from a dealer and those come with a warranty but tend to cost much more which is why I generally avoid them
Bought approx 100 new phones and nerver got à faulty one. (Got one SE Arc that sid reastart once in à while but paper trick in battary solved that) However got one faulty tv and à Broken laudspeaker once

Warranty. credit card cover worrenty world-wide and insurance in country. I'm sure they would even cover the jolla tablet scam if pressing the issue.

Now, what stores in city center. Best buy migrated to the other sida of the border.

EDIT: Not that I like bestbuy but they do sell tech. http://www.bestbuy.ca

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-08-11 at 17:59.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

There are things like "approved second-hand" that you can buy from a dealer and those come with a warranty but tend to cost much more which is why I generally avoid them...
Well... you're quite the different case than I had imagined.

It matters on what I'm going to do with the device, but if it is for tinkering, I do not worry about the warranty. If it is for my wife or son; I get a warranty.

Different strokes for different folks.

Tags
almost free, phones in us