Active Topics

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Cptnodegard, as originally stated at the beginning of this thread, these are modified adapters; the mini-B end looks rough because it's where I've had to open them up; the only other possible way to do it would be to cut all of the plastic sheathing off of the adapter to access the pins on the inside, and I guarantee that would look (and act) much worse.

The solder between the two pins should not be any thicker than the pins themselves (I'll post a photo to show you this when I get my camera back). One of my colleagues here at the office did the soldering on about 5 of them and I was testing for functionality at the time so the soldering may not have been perfect. Once I post up the pics, please compare and if the adapters you have are not up to par I'd be happy to send you two new ones to replace the others you've got that you're not satisfied with.

Thanks,
-Rob

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Cptnodegard, as originally stated at the beginning of this thread, these are modified adapters; the mini-B end looks rough because it's where I've had to open them up; the only other possible way to do it would be to cut all of the plastic sheathing off of the adapter to access the pins on the inside, and I guarantee that would look (and act) much worse.

The solder between the two pins should not be any thicker than the pins themselves (I'll post a photo to show you this when I get my camera back). One of my colleagues here at the office did the soldering on about 5 of them and I was testing for functionality at the time so the soldering may not have been perfect. Once I post up the pics, please compare and if the adapters you have are not up to par I'd be happy to send you two new ones to replace the others you've got that you're not satisfied with.

Thanks,
-Rob
on one of the ones i got, some solder even broke off inside the connector, but my biggest worry is the connectors are so twisted they need signiicant force to get them into place.

This is the connector where the excess solder broke off in the n800's connector: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q.../connector.jpg
its quite a bit more solder than what the other connector i got. The other connector is so bent i havent dared force it into the N800 fully, i tried it in a cheap mp3 player i have with a mini usb b connector and i almost didnt get it out. The point is these things work, but I'm very uncertain on how it will affect the n800's connector in the long run, seeing its such a bad fit. I most certainly wont be forcing these into my n800, but thats just my view, Ill most likely use the female end of these connectors to hack together a spare host cable where the solder is on the inside.

A solution for non-DIY'ers would be this connector and a extension cable like the one at http://www.pc-mobile.net/pspgps.htm, also, I cant exclude the possibility that i was just unlucky with my connectors as my goal is not to disgrace jolouis in any way, I'm just letting people know what my thoughts are

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Cptnodegard, you definately got a bad set of connectors, the solder should be flat between the pins, not bubbling up like that. When I first started I was trying to make them fit a bit more snuggly into the connectors than they were originally because of the nature of the application (the unmodified adapters were very loose in the N800 and would not have been suitable for leaving devices such as flash drives attached while moving the tablet) but it wasn't an exact process and I may have been a bit over-zealous on a few.

Send me a PM with your order information/shipping address/etc and I'll arrange replacement with two from the recent batch which are MUCH BETTER than that. (again unfortunately still no camera but I will post up when I get my hands on it for others to see). Anyone else who has run into this type of problem please don't hesitate to PM me or email back to the site and we'll gladly make arrangements for a swap.

Thanks,
-Rob

Ok guys.. i make a USB OTG.... look

In el salvador dont sell these adapters, i had to do it myself

Originally Posted by netss View Post
In el salvador dont sell these adapters, i had to do it myself
in soviet russia, adapter makes YOU

great work, seems to fit nicely

Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
in soviet russia, adapter makes YOU
I've seen in other forums people quoting a variation of what you just typed, where id the origin of this? I searched but couldn't find anything, is it from a tv show?

Originally Posted by superstar View Post
I've seen in other forums people quoting a variation of what you just typed, where id the origin of this? I searched but couldn't find anything, is it from a tv show?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff
half way down the page, "russian reversal"

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I need one of these adapters. I do it the hard way at the moment, with a couple of off-the-shelf adapters. I have to run the USB host command first, too.

EDIT: Just bought one, $10 and change.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-18 at 23:53.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Thanks Rob for this H/W solution. Just ordered 2,

Thanks,
Kasi Viswanath

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Got the replacements today, and this was a whoooooole other story than the first two i got. The solder was perfect and not a giant lump like the first one, and the connectors werent so battered so they fit perfectly. I can join the rest of the happy customers in recommending this for everyone with N800's, just make sure to check the connectors so you havent recieved a bad batch like i did. cheers to jolouis for fixing the issue so fast, i seriousely have no idea how a package managed to get from canada to here so fast but it did o0

The Following User Says Thank You to Cptnodegard For This Useful Post: