Posts: 107 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ New Jersey
EasyCrypt still only works with TC 4.3a.

TC 6.0a only works via command line for now.

thanks.
Any idea when you will upgrade the easycrypt? You've done a tremendous job. I'm travelling a lot abroad and I need this up and running. I'm not that familiar with command line. I'll reread your notes and see if I can make it work through command line.
Any suggestions or tips before I begin?

OK looking at your readme and I have the following:
/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko
/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/jbd.ko
/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko
/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext3.ko

Is the 2.6.21-omap1 for Diablo?
TIA

My TrueCrypt experience:

I have a new 810 running Diablo.

I went to http://www.securix.net, followed the instructions to install 6.0a, but the program seg faults when I run it.

So I tried installing 5.1a. That one was running fine. Getting all excited I wanted to check how much room I had left to put an encrypted volume into.

So I ran the "DiskUsage" app (from maemo.org), clicked on one of the volumes, and the app crashed. I put libstdc++.so.6 back the way it was before, and the DiskUsage app started working again (so basically, upgrading libstdc++.so.6 is evil and breaks things).

So being turned off breaking my existing software for 5.1a, I went back to 4.3a. Tried installing the deb, and it tells me it can't install, and requires "e2fsprogs". So I try to "apt-get install e2fsprogs", and it says it's not available.

Brick walls in every direction.

In lieu of using truecrypt, is there any more tried and true way to encrypt\decrypt files on Diablo? Surely the desire for security on a portable computer is more common place than to only be available in the realm of hackers?

I've had problems with diskusage crashing on me without truecrypt. install qtparted or gparted from debian. They are much more stable and powerful than diskusage. I can bring up truecrypt in command line I just don't know how to create partition via command line. Truecrypt 6 is very powerful and stable. Truecrypt 6 doen't have a Easycrypt gui yet. I hope securix will get around to doing it. The combo of truecrypt with Easycrypt on Nxx platform is a really powerful setup for protecting sensitive files.

I assume when you say TrueCrypt 6 is stable, you mean that you are running Diablo and it is stable for you. In which case, do you have any suggestions on why it would be segment faulting on mine?

I'm running Truecrypt 6 on Diablo an its stable I just don't know how to partition from command line. The easycrypt gui is nice and simple but doesn't work on tc 6 according to securix who put both together.
You probably had a bad install or missing apps that control it. Ex: Fuse. The problem with apps like this and diskusage is that once they are installed wrong or things are missing to correct the problem you need to reinstall the entire os and wipe the card clean. They rely on many hidden commands that can't be fixed if the main app goes south. I usually take several stabs at complex apps over many weeks sometimes months to get familiar with them and get them installed and running properly. Thats the price we pay for free apps and the ability to make them custom.IMO.

I think Diablo is 4.2008.30-2. I 'm just trying to answer my own post 93.
Anyone know what I need to put on those lines for Diablo? pretty please.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
XTS mode is not available in the Linux version used for Maemo 4.0/4.1 therefore running TrueCrypt 6 is not terribly useful. Because the WiFi driver for NIT is now open source, the chance you're able to run a newer Linux version (with among options a feature such as XTS mode) has increased. You're gonna need Linux kernel 2.6.24, at least.

Thanks.
I'm only making a 1gb file to secure sensitive data on my N800.
The wiki you quote says data above 1tb can be compromised so I should be safe. I'm not looking to store nuclear launch codes just some company data.
You seem to really know this stuff. Can you give me some guidance on how to setup the 1gb partition in command line? TIA