Active Topics

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
Ok, I admit I've never used a Symbian OS phone. From what I understand however, as far as functioning as a cell phone its great. The Smart Phone aspects..not so much, but thats what I have Maemo for. Put me down for wanting to dual boot to Symbian 3.
Used my girl's N8 a lot, helping her set it up etc. It's NO MATCH for Maemo5. I just couldn't "downgrade" to S^3. Not now.

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Used my girl's N8 a lot, helping her set it up etc. It's NO MATCH for Maemo5. I just couldn't "downgrade" to S^3. Not now.
Ok.. not to be a jerk.. but did you understand what I wrote? A simple phone OS instead of Maemo 5 for PHONE FUNCTIONS. Again I have yet to see Symbian in motion but if it has voice dial, easy integration to outlook, better SMS management (all though there's a rumor the new OVI suite fixes this for Maemo), and better (although time sensitive) Nokia support, why not Dual Boot Symbian?!

The Following User Says Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
It will be very nice a Dual boot with symbian. Maemo is the best obviuosly buth I prefer Symbian than Android

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Ok.. not to be a jerk.. but did you understand what I wrote? A simple phone OS instead of Maemo 5 for PHONE FUNCTIONS. Again I have yet to see Symbian in motion but if it has voice dial, easy integration to outlook, better SMS management (all though there's a rumor the new OVI suite fixes this for Maemo), and better (although time sensitive) Nokia support, why not Dual Boot Symbian?!
Whats this rumour about a new OVI Suite? Fixes for Maemo?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by neotalk View Post
haha....by the time nokia sorts it out it will be WP 9.
hahaha...by the time nokia figures it out, we will be on some other platform looking from the outside of nokia!

...or still on our n900! :/

The Following User Says Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Whats this rumour about a new OVI Suite? Fixes for Maemo?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72289

I said rumor because i didn't try it myself..

The Following User Says Thank You to lorul2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
not a rumor...it is actually an older version then the beta 3.1.

though the beta actually does not crash as much like the 290....it still doesnt do what the pc suite does so smoothly and efficiently...it still takes forever to sync data and crashes...though not as much.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Sure I read it. But we all know about the N900's shortcomings when it comes to the actual *phone* aspect of it. But I can still use it as a phone (albeit not as easily as a S^3 device) but the way maemo deals with SMS, I would not exchange it. The SMS threading on S^3 looks crappy - Conversations on the N900 is better.

And S^3's multi-tasking is awful. Instead of one tap and seeing all your open apps minimized, then another tap to select an open app, S^3 has you scroll oversized miniaturized app windows that are too big to see all at once. It is a frustration after using the quick-and-easy method in maemo.

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Sure I read it. But we all know about the N900's shortcomings when it comes to the actual *phone* aspect of it. But I can still use it as a phone (albeit not as easily as a S^3 device)

OK buddy, Cheers!!

BACK ON TOPIC

Any council members, Nokia employees, Developers have anything to say about this original post? After thinking about it, maybe Nokia is against letting the n900 dual boot Symbian? Maybe they think it would take away from their phones sales?

Come on Maemo major players! Tell us what you think!

Tags
good thread, i have a dream, more like a, nightmare, road to nowhere, symbian, symbian^3