Active Topics

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Kingdom....for now.
Does multiboot keep a log file?

I have set up multiboot to boot Titan's Power Kernel, NITDroid kernel and Fedora 12. The power and NIT kernels work fine but the Fedora one doesnt.

At the boot select screen, if I select Fedora, it appears to flash the kernel and reboot, bit then it goes back to the kernel select screen instead of booting further. The text moves too quickly for me to see what is going on, so I was wondering if I could log the output to file.

Any way of doing this?

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by SimonGie View Post
Does multiboot keep a log file?

I have set up multiboot to boot Titan's Power Kernel, NITDroid kernel and Fedora 12. The power and NIT kernels work fine but the Fedora one doesnt.

At the boot select screen, if I select Fedora, it appears to flash the kernel and reboot, bit then it goes back to the kernel select screen instead of booting further. The text moves too quickly for me to see what is going on, so I was wondering if I could log the output to file.

Any way of doing this?
did you try my suggestion from the other thread?

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Fedora 12 on SD p4"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28-fedora
ITEM_MODULES=ext3 mbcache jbd
ITEM_DEVICE=${EXT_CARD}p4
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=noatime,rw
the red text is the kernel you have in /boot/multiboot so I think this is what it should be trying to boot. (just realised I had typed it wrong previously)

if the kernel is 2.6.28-framebuffer1 then you need this kernel in /boot/multiboot

Don't forget the thanks button if I helped you

Originally Posted by mornage View Post
did you try my suggestion from the other thread?

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Fedora 12 on SD p4"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28-fedora
ITEM_MODULES=ext3 mbcache jbd
ITEM_DEVICE=${EXT_CARD}p4
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=noatime,rw
the red text is the kernel you have in /boot/multiboot so I think this is what it should be trying to boot. (just realised I had typed it wrong previously)

if the kernel is 2.6.28-framebuffer1 then you need this kernel in /boot/multiboot
Hi.

Yep I tried that. It now flashes the kernel, or at least it appears to, I cant see because it's too quick. Then it reboots to start the boot into fedora but heads back into the boot selection screen again.

Then it won't allow me to boot any of my other options and I have to enter the sheel, reboot and then boot either NIT, Maemo or Power Kernel........but Fedora....no go

I have multiboot installed and i can boot omap1, power37 and NITdroid without problems. My gratitude to the developers for that.

However i would like to auto load the module bq27x00_battery when i boot titans power37.

I think that:
Code:
echo bq27x00_battery >> /etc/modules
doesn't work with multiboot because whenever i boot power37 i have to execute:
Code:
modprobe bq27x00_battery
to get that module active.

There is a modules.boot.example file in /etc that is part of multiboot package.
I have tried to create a /etc/modules.boot file with:

Code:
#
# modules.boot
#
# List of modules the bootloader (multiboot) shall load.
# 
bq27x00_battery
but then booting power37 fails.

Can anyone help with this issue?

Thanks

Ok, all working. I reflashed the software to start anew, then install my kernel with framebuffer support. Then installed the power kernel, then installed the NITDroid kernel. So now I have a tri-boot system that can boot Fedora 12 with XFCE desktop, Maemo, Maemo Power and NITDroid. Hats off to the makers of Multiboot, it is a kickass bit of software. Well done and thanks!

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Guys,
Could anyone assist?
Using Multiboot for my NITDroid install and works perfectly. I have since been following a thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59374
Swapping the rootfs and need to use the dual boot to load the copied root. Could someone assist by advising how to get Multiboot to load this?

Stephen

The Following User Says Thank You to Coffee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Guys,
Could anyone assist?
Using Multiboot for my NITDroid install and works perfectly. I have since been following a thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59374
Swapping the rootfs and need to use the dual boot to load the copied root. Could someone assist by advising how to get Multiboot to load this?

Stephen
I have had a quick read and if I am correct then this rootfs uses the same kernel but runs from an SD card? If so, the only chnages you should need to make to the item file is the location of the rootfs you are using. I.E ITEM_DEVICE=${EXT_CARD}p (which ever partition number you are using)

You may also want to include
ITEM_MODULES=ext3 (if it require additional modules, they need to be specified here)
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3 (presuming this is the file system used)
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=noatime,rw (not sure what options the rootfs needs if any)

The Following User Says Thank You to mornage For This Useful Post:
mornage,
thanks for your reply mate. Whilst talk was about loading it off an sd card, I am pretty sure, no, I know it has just swapped the rootfs location to the /home folder on internal hard drive. These are the new folders:
/home/bin
/home/boot
/home/cdrom
/home/dev
/home/etc
/home/floppy
/home/initrd
/home/lib
/home/proc
/home/root
/home/sbin
/home/src
/home/sys
/home/syspart
/home/usr (usr - not user! /home/user is OK)
/home/var
/home/mnt
/home/tmp
/home/media
/home/home.
From what I understand, he has simply relocated the folder/ files and made a few tweaks to make all work as it should (what that entails?)
I don't understand how the Multiboot works, well any of it actually, lol.
I know enough that the Multiboot has files for the Nitdroid in both /etc/multiboot.d and /home/boot/multiboot/. I assume the .item file in the multiboot.d folder tells the multiboot what to load, where etc. I don't know what the vmlinuzp file does and wonder if I also need something else here to make it work?

Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
mornage,
thanks for your reply mate. Whilst talk was about loading it off an sd card, I am pretty sure, no, I know it has just swapped the rootfs location to the /home folder on internal hard drive. These are the new folders:
/home/bin
/home/boot
/home/cdrom
/home/dev
/home/etc
/home/floppy
/home/initrd
/home/lib
/home/proc
/home/root
/home/sbin
/home/src
/home/sys
/home/syspart
/home/usr (usr - not user! /home/user is OK)
/home/var
/home/mnt
/home/tmp
/home/media
/home/home.
From what I understand, he has simply relocated the folder/ files and made a few tweaks to make all work as it should (what that entails?)
I don't understand how the Multiboot works, well any of it actually, lol.
I know enough that the Multiboot has files for the Nitdroid in both /etc/multiboot.d and /home/boot/multiboot/. I assume the .item file in the multiboot.d folder tells the multiboot what to load, where etc. I don't know what the vmlinuzp file does and wonder if I also need something else here to make it work?
The files in /etc/multiboot.d are the item files that are shown on the boot screen. Each item file refers to a kernel in boot/multiboot (the vmlinuzp file).

For the original kernel and power kernel, you only need to give it a name, tell it which kernel to use tell it that is is using ext3. If the only thing that has changed for is the FS then I think you should only have to specify where the new rootfs is.

I presume the default partition which the normal kernels use is 1 which would be {INT_CARD}p1. P3 is the swap so try creating an item file and changing the to ITEM_DEVICE=${INT_CARD}p1 and p2 to see if either of them boot the rootfs you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to mornage For This Useful Post:
Mornage,
Thanks mate, you've done it, was as said and p2.

Tags
face palm