Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
i got these three warnings for the first time when i update smscon

than i reset my email sever(it was missing) and closed smscon after making some mroe changes
keyboard slider moves is the only notification i recieved since i have enable them and yes i can disable them but i want them to send sms when someone change the SIM (so i have to enable them perposly) ...
Thank you for testing update from 0.7 to 0.9. It seems there is some more work for us... nevertheless, some issues can only be solved with help of user. He/she may have to (re-)enter some settings. In almost all cases this means to replace a former invalid value by a correct one. This is because 0.9 validates setting values; 0.7 did not.

Of course, if all upgrading fails for what ever reason, the initial settings should do. I will take a look why this didn't work. ... and upgrading should handle the case when mailserver setting is just empty.

Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
... i dont know why smscon sends sms without changing the SIM
There are many events that can be enabled to trigger sending a SMSCON notification. The detection of SIM card replacement is one of them (and this event can't be disabled). Other events are keyboard slider moves, battery status, GPS localization etc...

If you just want to be notified about SIM card replacement, just disable all other events. Some events (e.g. GPS tracking) can be enabled on demand by sending a SMS-command to the N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Note: My answers below correspond to the current version 0.9.* of SMSCON. Earlier versions (e.g. the current extras 0.7) may behave slightly identically in some points. In doubt consider installing the gainroot app (for maximum support while trying devel or test apps) and then upgrade to SMSON 0.9.*.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
As mentioned I can often swap sim cards, while at work.

I wish to setup SMSCON so when the SIM is switched a message will go to the contact number (with the new sim details etc.).
I DO NOT want the device to lock out, even if the IMSI is different, is this possible.
Currently I have deleted the IMSI code in the init settings.
This is not so critical as it sounds (and in my opinion should be). If a SIM-card change is detected (see more info below) the new SIM is always added to the set of authorized SIM cards. [up to and incl. current version 0.9.*]. And a notification is send. Optionally the Phone will be UNLOCKED (so it is not LOCKED as it may sound).

When the SIM is switched to a unauthorised IMSI will the device then enable "stolen mode", or is this only on command?
If so will reinstalling the correct SIM unlock the device?
SMSCON maintains a set of authorized SIM cards. A SIM-card change is detected if the current SIM is not in the set of authorized SIM-cards.

As said above, each SIM is added to the set of authorized SIM-cards after change detection.

A change between authorized SIM cards is not currently detected (should this be the case?) SMSCON treats all authorized SIM-cards the same way (e.g. there is no master SIM [up to and incl. current version 0.9.*]).

There is currently no "stolen mode". All we have is that the device can be locked explicitly by COM_LOCK command or implicitly by "on-every command"-option. To suit the later, a SIM change can only UNLOCK the phone. Not perfect yet...

If the command "Lock" is used what gets locked?
Also how is this related to the commands "On first message lock device" and "Unlock on new SIM".
The official function to lock the N900 is called. Can be found interactively at "main-power-button" --> "Lock Device". As you can see, locking can be cancelled at this stage So even SMSCON can't ensure that the phone gets locked... It's more to confuse the user... (A lock code is asked for - but my N900 does not accept any code.... - very confusing).

You can unlock the phone by sending the COM_UNLOCK command to the phone.

The option-title "On first message lock device" is not quite correct. If enabled, locking takes place on each command - not only the first one.

Sorry for all the questions.
With the potential to brick/lockout the device, I want to be certain I have understood the wiki's.

Using SMSCOM Editor 0.7-4, if that helps.
The wikis are about to be updated; its in progress; sorry for being late...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain.
It's so much clearer how the functions work now!

I also do not use the lock device on my N900, had an issue the first time I used it back on PR1.1
I now don't know the lock code (not default) so after a reflash I left it disabled and haven't played with it until now.

Hopefully this will find the code for me.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=435433&postcount=5

I was expecting the app to lock the SIM too, it seems it's not the case.
Which is good as I have no idea on that PIN either.

Thanks, again.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
@yablacky
As TrueCrypt is now available from repositories (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81435), would it be possible to allow command for remotely (via SMS) unmounting TrueCrypt encrypted partitions? It would be very useful possibility, as encrypted mounted partition isn't protected, until unmounted (in this case, to mountit again, one must provide password).

I know it is (probably) already possible via custom shell command, but unmounting encrypted partition is quite must-have for users of both SMSCON and TrueCrypt, so adding it as "template" command, would save custom shell command for other purposes.

Alternative solution, would be to allow users to define unlimited number of custom command binded to custom SMS'es. This way, everyone would be able to put whatever she/he want, without being limited by availability of only one custom command (and deciding, "do I need more unmounting in TrueCrypt, or something else?").

Thanks in advance.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I now don't know the lock code (not default) so after a reflash I left it disabled and haven't played with it until now.

Hopefully this will find the code for me.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=435433&postcount=5

I was expecting the app to lock the SIM too, it seems it's not the case.
Which is good as I have no idea on that PIN either.
Thank you for the link.

I found out details about lock code: The information is even stored on the phone. Use "File Manager" to open the user manual at ~/MyDocs/.documents/User Guides

At a glance: The default lock code is 12345 and it can be changed in Device settings --> General --> Device lock

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@yablacky
As TrueCrypt is now available from repositories (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81435), would ....
Alternative solution, would be to allow users to define unlimited number of custom command binded to custom SMS'es. ...

/Estel
Yes, I also think, the proposed alternative solution would provide the necessary range of flexibility.

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
@yablacky
I found my lock code using john the ripper as per the first 5 pages of ...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808

If I set the device to 'lock on SIM change' and 'Lock on first command'.
If I swap the SIM, I can just unlock with the code or send COM_UNLOCK from another phone. Then the new SIM will be added to the IMSI list?

I guess locking the device at all would be a bad idea.
A thief has three options on a dev_locked device:-
Enter the code correctly. (unlikely)
Lock screen and keys leave powered on. (would have to flick side lock)
Switch off the device. (most likely and prompted by UI)

Then if the device is switched off and secured SMSCON will not load!

More details about device lock code and un/locking the device with SMSCON:
  • After explicitly changing the lock code of my N900, the device will lock without asking for lock code any more. This works even if "new" code is 12345 (which is default) as well. So, changing the lock code at least once is a good idea for all SMSCON users.
  • COM_UNLOCK or "unlock on new SIM" unlocks the phone without knowing the lock code. As a prerequisite SMSCON daemon must run and - for COM_UNLOCK - must be able to receive commands.
  • If the phone (re)boots in locked state, then the unlock code is been asked before the SIM-PIN is being asked for. The consequence is that SMS commands are NOT received by the phone while locked in boot phase! In my tests, the phone has not even WLAN access in this phase. Which means that checking the remote command server is also not possible.

Now being aware of the above it becomes more clear why SMSCON has a UNLOCK on new SIM function: It allows you to contact the phone again if the finder person stuck at reboot and is clever enough to replace the SIM.

And further it gave me ideas how to improve SMSCON functionality ...

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
If I set the device to 'lock on SIM change' and 'Lock on first command'.
There is no "lock on SIM change" - only an "unlock on SIM change".

If I swap the SIM, I can just unlock with the code or send COM_UNLOCK from another phone. Then the new SIM will be added to the IMSI list?
.. or - if enabled in settings - the new SIM unlocks, yes. The new SIM is added to the IMSI list in any case. Just to clearify: An authorized SIM does not automatically unlock the phone. A SIM that was NOT authorized before does. This makes some sense! Because:

While the regular users own SIM is inserted, AND the device is not rebooted, then the device should stay locked until unlocked explicitly by regular user (via lock code or command). In this situation phone is able to receive commands and most probably has network access.

A reboot changes situation significantly:
(1) without device lock:
A thief does not know the SIM-PIN. He may skip PIN question. Then the phone does not receive SMS and most likely has no network access. Poor chances for regular owner to contact the phone.
(2) with device lock:
Since device lock can't be skipped, a thief or finder person is enforced to replace the SIM after some time. Would the new SIM keep the phone locked, the situation remains poor. But when automatically unlocked by SMSCON, the regular owner receives notifications about new SIM and has more chances to contact the phone again.

I guess locking the device at all would be a bad idea.
A thief has three options on a dev_locked device:-
Enter the code correctly. (unlikely)
Lock screen and keys leave powered on. (would have to flick side lock)
Switch off the device. (most likely and prompted by UI)

Then if the device is switched off and secured SMSCON will not load!
SMSCON loads on boot, if enabled (what is highly recommended). It terminates only if no SIM is inserted [up to and incl. 0.9.*].

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
i reset smscon (by pressing "reset" button)

i initialise smscon

i re-enter all the settings(email and other settings)

but still no luck

i tried to change the "mobile to contact" (master)

i also tried to add and delete IMSI

i rebooted my phone also

but my smscon sends sms and email (both) and does not recognize my SIM and think that i am a "THEIF".

note:-(i have checked only "Slider open")

for now i have disabled my smscon.

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos