Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
But if I need to check Twitter whilst bungee jumping, the "top" of the device is actually the bottom. Madness!

p.s. it's nothing to do with swipemanager - all that does is change a config file - the closing orientation logic is built into the Harmattan window manager

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Innsbruck, Austria
Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post
You've answered your own question :-) label on box says where it is made. It is also printed on the back of MicroSIM tray.
:-)

...bought it 100 m from my home :-)
Attached Images

Posts: 1,196 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Nope, the other logical way is the top of the device.

Yes there is the other logic. But we are not helicopter pilots, and our device has no buttons, so we can focus on the window solely, no problem.
That is why taking the the application as orientation is the best solution.

Like a few others have mentioned here, I too like to read in bed, and I prefer keeping the same logic to close browser windows as I would be sitting straight up and have been used to from day 1.

It strikes me that they would change their already clever interface design.

For example I love how the default browser will not rotate to portret when the Nokia logo is down. That is great design.

Firefox Mobile keeps rotating. Wrong, useless.
A Palm Pre 3 keeps rotating all the time, lock not to be found, impossible to read from bed. Out it went!

Originally Posted by slai View Post
Yeah I agree, you mean swiping from the left = going back, swiping from right = move to background, top = close, bottom = something else, that kind of a deal?
Indeed, there definitely should be one more configurable swipe option: back

whenever in a menu structure, swipe from right to left (or configurable) means back one menu level.

Maybe also for browsing. I now use open in new window more efficiently than the browser back button.

I miss the simple logic of tapping in the blurred area to go back, it worked from day 1 on the N900, no need to read a manual.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by solatic View Post
One last thing I forgot... there is a Starhub brand on the lockscreen. Pretty annoying and may have a small effect on battery life.
You can remove that easily..look up fLPMC

One last thing I forgot... there is a Starhub brand on the lockscreen. Pretty annoying and may have a small effect on battery life.
I just flashed to PR 1.1, using the Northern European firmware, got rid of all the branding and preinstalled apps.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
the 'brain' of the SIM is also bigger
It isn't. It really isn't. The size is defined by international standards. The extra gold on the larger style is just extra gold.

That isn't to say you didn't manage to damage the 'brain' when cutting it down. Just not because of the suggested reason. There are plenty of us who have cut down the larger style very successfully for the N9

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by solatic View Post
no branding on the physical exterior of the device or any of the included accessories,
Funny, I got mine a few days ago(64GB) from mobilecityonline and the exterior was branded with a starhub logo that protrudes kind of like a bead of water. Wish I could remove it...

hi 2 all, joining this forum since few days (my engl may sound strange sometimes, i'm french, be fair about it )

I'm really seduced by the device, design, software, no surprises, i took time to compare tests and reviews windows phone 7 and meego, the largest screen, hugest storage (16go without micro sd is a joke as only option for a first class or competitive smartphone in 2011). I come from N8 and Symbian Anna, liked it with late updates, tried android and didnt liked it much, laggy and cheap ugly, many bugs etc.

Well, wanted a blue 64go, doesnt exist, already quite HARD and f***in expensive to buy a simple 16go N9 in France as not officialy available, but finaly go it, black 64go and nevermind the color as the blue softcover is perfect to have a blue one

I just worry about one thing....the battery ....
Was really surprised to see har quick its getting low, got the battery app, sometimes with just swiping and browsing 5mn, u can see % geting low real fast , i checked some forums, many people seemed to have power and battery issues, trying this and that (i saw many time the "smartsearch' named for the battery issue).
I red this topic and checked a few posts about that , then ok i try it (2g, synchr every hour or 30mn, medium lightning, cancel the automatic save power) and i will see.

I dont feel good anyways about the battery..., even with all those seetings (and i mean why buying a so high-tech and cool smartphone if its to use it as a limited device?) my N9 is 90% afer one hour of mostly idle and clock screensaver, with maybe 10/15mn checking apps, swiping, browsing....and my N8 is 88% after 6 hours with screensaver and idle and few same 10/15mn using it.

I really hesitate about whats going on, is it the N9 naturally need more power or something's wrong about it, that's disapointing and i hesitate to go to a nokia care after a few days more or call the shop to try to change it...(and as i said its not available in france so it will take time or it will be hard to get support here...)

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by Jemoparis View Post
hi 2 all, joining this forum since few days (my engl may sound strange sometimes, i'm french, be fair about it )

I'm really seduced by the device, design, software, no surprises, i took time to compare tests and reviews windows phone 7 and meego, the largest screen, hugest storage (16go without micro sd is a joke as only option for a first class or competitive smartphone in 2011). I come from N8 and Symbian Anna, liked it with late updates, tried android and didnt liked it much, laggy and cheap ugly, many bugs etc.

Well, wanted a blue 64go, doesnt exist, already quite HARD and f***in expensive to buy a simple 16go N9 in France as not officialy available, but finaly go it, black 64go and nevermind the color as the blue softcover is perfect to have a blue one

I just worry about one thing....the battery ....
Was really surprised to see har quick its getting low, got the battery app, sometimes with just swiping and browsing 5mn, u can see % geting low real fast , i checked some forums, many people seemed to have power and battery issues, trying this and that (i saw many time the "smartsearch' named for the battery issue).
I red this topic and checked a few posts about that , then ok i try it (2g, synchr every hour or 30mn, medium lightning, cancel the automatic save power) and i will see.

I dont feel good anyways about the battery..., even with all those seetings (and i mean why buying a so high-tech and cool smartphone if its to use it as a limited device?) my N9 is 90% afer one hour of mostly idle and clock screensaver, with maybe 10/15mn checking apps, swiping, browsing....and my N8 is 88% after 6 hours with screensaver and idle and few same 10/15mn using it.

I really hesitate about whats going on, is it the N9 naturally need more power or something's wrong about it, that's disapointing and i hesitate to go to a nokia care after a few days more or call the shop to try to change it...(and as i said its not available in france so it will take time or it will be hard to get support here...)
Hi Jemoparis,

Not already buy mine, but it was definitively available in France :

- PhoneAndPhone.
- Auchan.

A++

The Following User Says Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Give the battery some time. Also, if you really want to squeeze the battery out of it, consider just going with GSM. For me its ridicolously fast, I guess thats because of the signal reception in the N9 giving higher speeds on edge than the competitors.

I run it on edge all the time, and the battery lasts me a couple of days with a few hours of reading ebooks, few hours of music, and general use (calls, sms, twitter plus rss feeds on homescreen refreshed every 30 mins).

Email really screws the battery from what ive heard, i myself dont use email sync, preferring to sync manually.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????