Active Topics

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Nokia did give a handful of patents to Jolla. but it was never published as to what patents they were.
”We’re proud of the support from our Bridge program to start-ups founded by former Nokia people,” Durrant told us, “but we have not gifted Nokia patents to any of them, including Jolla.”

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If those big ashole corporations (nokia included) continues those patent FUD there is no chance jolla get a chance on this shitty so called free capitalism world. The geekphone era is over.
I personally have no problem with the whole Apple patents brouhaha. Steve Jobs did a miraculous job on "dumbing-down" the smart phone, to the point where it now has no buttons at all, and the only thing the user can do is finger-paint on it. The touchscreen may seem like a cool approach to a user interface, but it also subtly locks the user into being merely a consumer of information, never a producer.

The rest of the cell phone industry has blindly rushed down the rabbit hole right behind Apple. The jury really was right -- the whole world now is filled with iPhones and iPhone wannabes. These corporations needed a good smack in the side of the head to remind them that Apple's way is not the only possible way to design products. Stuff like pinch-to-zoom is popular because Apple made it popular, not because it is necessarily the best way to do things.

Right now, I don't see _anyone_ trying to actually compete with Apple. The default response seems to be what Nokia did -- just give up, dump your entire internal R&D department, and license the latest iOS clone from Microsoft or Google. Maybe if Apple wins enough patent cases, somebody will get the hint and go back to designing a device that isn't an iPhone.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I haven't read that multi touch patent but I'm guessing it's not for resistive screens which is a possibilty that Jolla might use it since they will release in China. That said, if I was in a dinghy and their was great whites nearby dueling I'd be kinda nervous.
I really doubt they'll use a resistive screen if they want to reach any kind of mass market, plus in China/Shenzen you have to choice of a capacitive or resistive with a slight difference in price.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
-Intro to Devaamo and our events and projects
-Jolla company overview and technical presentations
-Mer and Nemo introductions (developer oriented)
i really want to see the : Jolla company overview and technical presentations

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I can't believe there are people who still believe Jolla will produce anything. They have spent more energy tweeting than manufacturing.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
You don't have a clue what jolla has produced so far. Mr Lumiatroll.com

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I can't believe there are people who still believe Jolla will produce anything. They have spent more energy tweeting than manufacturing.
and i dont believe you waste your energy to be exist on maemo.org

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Max 120 days before we know anything more and jolla reaveal its first product. It's a long....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets hope for a cool marketing campain.

I want the device to sail from finland to china, and release a new movie and a new thing about the device every day until you get the complete picture the last day. And on the way I want the jolla ship to sink other ships sailed by android, iphone and windows phones.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla