Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Guys, have you tried the latest beta build from fennec 6.0~... ?
I am sure firefox can catch up
Now this thread has a valid point and is interesting to read !

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
I am glad that someone is talking about the OVI maps 'same as on Symbian phones', this is the only topic that can create a pin drop silent in Nokia land and now in MeeGo

Since Nokia is not associated with MeeGo as its focus OS I suspect OVI maps will be available on MeeGo. I would to see OVI maps with navigation and spoken street names.
So you beleive Microsoft will allow Nokia to sell out the Ovimaps too some "thirdpartycompany" like they currectly is doing with Symbian? Well I dont think soo. OviMaps is important for Microsoft. So why would they allow a competing Linux OS like Meego have support for OviMaps now?

Microsoft want Nokia too use WP7 and Microsoft ecosystem cause of atleast two good reasons (for them not for us :-(

1. WP7 doesnt sell well they need a bigcompany to support it
2. Microsofts lack of good streetmaps in european. Thats why Nokia is very good for them cause they have the good very good streetmaps because they bought some big gpsmaps company (forgot theyr name).

So again. Microsoft owns Nokia now. That means OviMaps will rename to "Microsoft maps" in some years.

But then again Meego will not die cause Nokias stupid decisions :-)
But my point is we cant expect OviMaps on Meego.

My guess is we have to go for GoogleMaps (if Google licenses allow that?). If not the only alternative will be OpenStreetMaps.

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
I cannot imagine Microsoft letting anyone else use Nokia maps but I know that the OVI maps team was working on OVI maps for MeeGo and they mentioned in one of their blogs (the original map developers) that once it is ready for MeeGo it can then be ported on Maemo but as we all know there have been changes in Nokia land recently making the developer's statement null and void.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I don't see Ovi Maps on Meego. Why would Nokia "distribute it free" on Meego platforms? Unless Nokia starts making flagship phones with Meego on it, I don't think we'll see official Ovi Maps on Meego devices.

I think mapping will be, as stskeeps suggested, a community effort on Meego. Or Google Maps tops.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
I cannot imagine Microsoft letting anyone else use Nokia maps but I know that the OVI maps team was working on OVI maps for MeeGo and they mentioned in one of their blogs ...
I think we need a source on this. Searched the Ovi by Nokia blog and didn't find anything about this.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
I don't see Ovi Maps on Meego. Why would Nokia "distribute it free" on Meego platforms?
Working on != "distribute it for free"

Unless Nokia starts making flagship phones with Meego on it, I don't think we'll see official Ovi Maps on Meego devices.
Well, last we heard, Nokia will still be releasing one Meego device. Most likely, it will have a GPS. It would be bad form if the Nokia mapping app on it would be worse than current Ovi Maps for Maemo.

I think mapping will be, as stskeeps suggested, a community effort on Meego. Or Google Maps tops.
"Meego" != "Nokia Meego device"

I am not saying there *will* be an Ovi Maps on the Nokia Meego device, but I sure wouldn't say it is impossible, just because "it would have to be distributed free". I don't see how you get from Meego is free to "all software on Nokia Meego device must be freely distributable on all Meego devices".

Does Meego have Xterm or some other terminal application out of the box? And can it be rooted as easily as N900?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Does Meego have Xterm or some other terminal application out of the box? And can it be rooted as easily as N900?
handset and tablet images for n900 come with terminal application.

If by "rooting' you mean su/root access then yes.

#su root
pwd = meego

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
At last something in "daily" again to play with it
The first boot ended up in black screen, but the next one was successfull.
Unfortunately I was unable to type anything in Xterm as the hardware keyboard layout was totally messed up and the software keyboard does not appear when in Xterm...
Image was: mg-handset-armv7nhl-n900-de-acceptance-1.1.99.6.20110506.3.DE.2011-05-10.2-mmcblk0p.raw.bz2
But - keep up your good work on DE

Last edited by acrux; 2011-05-11 at 12:01.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hilversum
Hey, followed the method to get MeeGo on the SD - is there a way to dualboot it without using flasher? I mean, using 'run mmcboot' on the u-Boot prompt?

Thanks!