Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by ed00 View Post
Future is behind devices like N900 that simply fits in your pocket with computer capabilities. It just not there yet with its speed and power but very,very close. In less than few years there will be more powerful than N900. And all the tablet things is just another gimmick for people who has money and don't know what do with it so they are looking for something to amuse themselves.
recent photos of a dock that provides hdmi and usb seems to indicate that with the right setup it can work as a desktop computer.

sure hope the next nokia will bring back usb-otg.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
The attraction of this device to me is the screen size, I am (and always have been) after a Psion 5 replacement really, but that means I'd like a keyboard (and a stylus) too.

While the N800 was fine for playing music and browsing the web, the lack of a kb was a real pita when writing text, editing spreadsheets, etc.

OTOH, as the screen on the Dell is physically larger, I imagine the on-screen keyboard could be made to take up a smaller proportion of the screen and still be usable.

Anyway, I'm not sold on it, and the fact it runs Android is not ideal either.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
i think what nokia did wrong with the N800 keyboard was that it pushed the window out of the way. Opera and android on the other hand either makes the input area bigger (or move the actual input somewhere else entirely) while overlaying the window without disturbing it.

it would be like the cell of a spreadsheet would scale up when you tapped it, so that you had plenty of space to edit in, and then scale back down when done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Is there any real talk on attempting to porting Maemo or the smartphone Meego OS(when it's released) to Dell Streak?

I don't want to say which is the best device for anyone else.

For me, an updated version of the N810 would be perfect. I was disappointed when I found that they shrunk the N900 to its current size.

I am definitely interested in the larger screen but not too big (again for me) on the Dell Streak, wish there was a physical keyboard, but oh well...

I am really enjoying the Maemo OS on the N900 and I would love to continue to use it on the Dell Streak when it's released in the US.

I'm fairly end-user GUI savvy, but wouldn't know where to begin to installing a non native OS on such a customized device as a smartphone/tablet.

I did see a few previous posts regarding flashing or porting an OS to the Streak, but it still seems that it may be possible.

Is anyone seriously looking into this?

" c0rt3x 10-21-2009 , 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by cheetos316
Just because it ships with Android doesn't mean that another OS can't run on it right? Would it be possible to flash it to run something like Maemo?
No, unfortunately there are som binary only drivers (however, the N900/Maemo 5 is still probably the most open mass produced phone/OS)"

" lcuk 10-21-2009 , 01:54 PM
Posts: 1,521 | Thanked: 1,446 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England #36

Maemo/Mer on Dell

sends a shudder through me, but why not?"

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
for a device thats capable of doing telephoning, its just too big.

Originally Posted by msa View Post
for a device thats capable of doing telephoning, its just too big.
But that's not the primary goal. It is a tablet first then phone second.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
the phone part is primarily there so google could go "ok, you can have google apps and marketplace" without looking like it favored a major company vs the many smaller ones making similar products.

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
But that's not the primary goal. It is a tablet first then phone second.
Yeah, but no one bought that line for the N900. I don't see why the Streak should get an exception just because it's XBOX HUEG.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yeah, but no one bought that line for the N900. I don't see why the Streak should get an exception just because it's XBOX HUEG.
Dell Marketing has made it very clear unlike Nokia

That is a lil too big for me as a cellphone.

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?