Active Topics

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Yes, I'm talking about the N950 which actually is the first device. I doubt there were slider problems, it's using the N97, E7 mechanism, which is simple and difficult to screw up. Maybe someone with a N950 can tell us if there really is a problem stopping mass production. Even if there was an issue, it would be easier and cheaper to fix it than build a whole WP device from scratch.
Now, you see, there's the minor problem that although we were asked to be enthusiastic about the N950 on blogs, twitter etc., we also all agreed to this:

You acknowledge that the Product is in prototype stage and still in development by Nokia and thus, not in commercial quality. In view of the foregoing, You agree not to i) make public statements about the possible errors, deficiencies, faults of the Product or Your other findings about the incomplete nature of the Product; and/or ii) disclose the Feedback to third parties, without Nokia’s prior written permission.
So, erm, yes. I think that's a standard NDA for pre-release devices, judging from the language, and not a special one for the N950 which belongs in perma-prototype limbo, but hey, the agreement still stands.

So, without of course implying that there are any "errors, deficiencies or faults" with the N950, I must say that it doesn't fit in with the new design language they came up with after making it. So, playing along with Ahonen's slightly fevered rantings, I'd say that they would have probably, if they had wanted to also launch the N950, just for consistency, needed to put the guts of the N950 into a N9-alike polycarbonate shell to make it match, sweetened those grumpy carriers up with an updated slider (see those old news articles), maybe even snagged the AMOLED screen from the N9, and then they could have definitely launched both at the same time (i.e. when Harmattan PR1.0 was complete) with much less effort than going with WP.

Steve Ballmer : Developers, Developers , Developers, Developers
Steve Elop: , Ecosystem, Ecosystem, Ecosystem, Ecosystem,
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
So, erm, yes. I think that's a standard NDA for pre-release devices, judging from the language, and not a special one for the N950 which belongs in perma-prototype limbo, but hey, the agreement still stands.
Simple version of NDA: The device is perfect, don't tell...

Originally Posted by vitaminj
So, without of course implying that there are any "errors, deficiencies or faults" with the N950, I must say that it doesn't fit in with the new design language they came up with after making it. So, playing along with Ahonen's slightly fevered rantings, I'd say that they would have probably, if they had wanted to also launch the N950, just for consistency, needed to put the guts of the N950 into a N9-alike polycarbonate shell to make it match, sweetened those grumpy carriers up with an updated slider (see those old news articles), maybe even snagged the AMOLED screen from the N9, and then they could have definitely launched both at the same time (i.e. when Harmattan PR1.0 was complete) with much less effort than going with WP.
N950 seems to be bridging the N8, E7 design towards the N9's. Aluminum chassis with a N9 design, that's what the N950 really is. Also, wasn't it really supposed to launch like half a year ahead of the N9? Anyway, I still don't buy the slider defect. N97 won many votes for its simplicity and durability.

Instead of Elop giving us a N950 in February, he gave us a letter capable of destroying a kingdom.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
Steve Ballmer : Developers, Developers , Developers, Developers
Steve Elop: , Ecosystem, Ecosystem, Ecosystem, Ecosystem,
TMO members: maemo, meego, maemo, meego, maemo, meego

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
TMO members: maemo, meego, maemo, meego, maemo, meego
So maybe I repeat the post in case some important people there missed it.

Maybe somebody from us, the admin,mod would gather votes from people registered in this forum and will send them to the Nokia. How many of maemo lovers are there ? Let them hear us. Come on, can we make something useful from this conversation?

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by elemental View Post

Maybe somebody from us, the admin,mod would gather votes from people registered in this forum and will send them to the Nokia. How many of maemo lovers are there ? Let them hear us. Come on, can we make something useful from this conversation?
I'd vote, why not?

Unless Elop had them place a self-destruct device inside the N9s, so that should I ever complain publicly about his decisions, my N9 would explode.

Originally Posted by elemental View Post

elemental,

apologies for distracting from your previous post;
in fact, i already felt then... hell, what's the point?
let me elaborate;
a few months ago i came across a web page that gave some details about the terms under which Flop got hired; it seems to include a substantial amount either party has to pay to the other if it chooses to end the contract before 18 months.
my guess is that shortly after Easter, Flop will get sacked without ceremony.
considering this and the little hope of the man even remotely grasping what the petition would be about, doesn't make much sense, does it?

why doesn't NOKIA terminate the contract right now? no matter what the fine would be, a company that size should be able to pay that, certainly considering the damage they take every day that passes... considering the mess NOKIA is in right now (Augeas stables?), it might be even more difficult for them to find a new manager then it was for Yahoo!

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
vote me 4 Nokia CEO

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
elemental,

apologies for distracting from your previous post;
in fact, i already felt then... hell, what's the point?
let me elaborate;
a few months ago i came across a web page that gave some details about the terms under which Flop got hired; it seems to include a substantial amount either party has to pay to the other if it chooses to end the contract before 18 months.
my guess is that shortly after Easter, Flop will get sacked without ceremony.
considering this and the little hope of the man even remotely grasping what the petition would be about, doesn't make much sense, does it?

why doesn't NOKIA terminate the contract right now? no matter what the fine would be, a company that size should be able to pay that, certainly considering the damage they take every day that passes... considering the mess NOKIA is in right now (Augeas stables?), it might be even more difficult for them to find a new manager then it was for Yahoo!
Well if anyone on the board is seriously thinking of terminating his contract then maybe they are just waiting for his term to end? They could see it as being a too higher fine to pay considering that he will only have a few months left and how much "damage" is now done now.

And I agree with your sentiment, who would want the role now?

As for the original article stating that MS and Nokia wont give actual sales figures, I am not very surprised by this.

We all know Flop is an MS drone and Microsoft has a history of only giving Shipping numbers for their product and not sales figures. Take the XBox360 as a good example, in the early years they never gave sales numbers ,but only shipped units. This only counted the units that left the factory doors but encompassed all Red-Ring, Returned and unsold units.

Not giving the sales figures is fine for Ballmer but Flop should remember he is not with Microsoft anymore and should stop being their whipping boy.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-02-01 at 23:42.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Julien Fourgeaud for Nokia CEO... I've met many Nokia people, but Julian at this moment seems to be the most prepared person to be a CEO and for some reason he has a CEO standard about him. So my vote goes for Julian.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Tags
blame others, deluded fanboys, kidsbeingkids, lumiadork, ms will die, salesdroids, the elop flop, wp blows