Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
V96 crashes my Hildon desktop everytime

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
V96 crashes my Hildon desktop everytime
Do you have any 3rd party desktop applets or statusbar plugins running?

My guess is that your desktop runs out of memory. MediaBox is highly optimized to minimize memory
consumption and is about on par with YouAmp in terms of memory consumption, but some
graphics are stored on the X server side (Xomap) for best performance.

It would be interesting to know at what stage MediaBox crashes your desktop. Is it during startup, or when playing media, or... ?

Hi Pycage thanks for this neat work this svn version is working as the 95 V only thing left is the radio connecting to the net fails but i really like this. i have since removed every player, one question though upon release of version 96 do we have to update or remove completly this svn before reinstalling the new thanks.
Edit: using my newly paired bluetooth stereo to listen to music is absolute enjoyment really Thanks for the Effort, Hardwork and Generousity making it possible on the NIT, works flawlessly

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2008-09-09 at 15:59.

Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
First things first.
It's incredible work, pycage, kind of dream player for me. Thx for dreams come true.

Now it's time for many characters about the 0.96svn...
- Bugs:
1. UI/Code: Related to fast actions and switching (screenshots 1, 2)
2. Code: Image gallery thumbnailing. When image type is unrecognized thumbnail generating fails and the rest pictures in the list have no thumbs at all. (log 1). I'm not using Python (but planning to), so from my point of Java view a try-catch issue.

Not bugs, but IMO some improvement needed:
1. UI: In Browser view:
- Device icon is out of screen (some part of it is under the topbar). Some alignment needed, probably...(Or kinematic scrolling also?). Same in Settings.
- No D-Pad support (I guess yet).
2. Arrow in bottom left corner opens a modules menu, but doesn't close it when tapping it. But sometimes I want to return w/o looking for the modules I'm in right now.

Feature requests:
1. UI: "Now playing" feature somewhere in UI (it seems to be mentioned).
2. D-Pad Left/Right for Prev/Next.
3. Still shuffle and repeat (please, please, please... Just 2 little things to make it perfect ).
4. More settings to configure. E.g. for using MPlayer as backend.
5. Documentation for making themes... Just a bit... A piece...
6. I've got an idea of making a home applet to control MediaBox. I guess via D-Bus, so it would be nice to have a documentation about D-Bus messages and MediaBox.
If there is documentation, then I apologize for being inattentive.
7. Probably a kind of localization.

If you got to this point, thanks for patience
I can submit it all to garage page for any purpose and ready to help.
Best wishes.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt log1.txt (755 Bytes, 150 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
Hi Pycage thanks for this neat work this svn version is working as the 95 V only thing left is the radio connecting to the net fails but i really like this. i have since removed every player, one question though upon release of version 96 do we have to update or remove completly this svn before reinstalling the new thanks.
Edit: using my newly paired bluetooth stereo to listen to music is absolute enjoyment really Thanks for the Effort, Hardwork and Generousity making it possible on the NIT, works flawlessly
There's no need to remove the SVN version when 0.96 will be available as package for the AppManager. MediaBox is relocatable and runs wherever you put it. You can have as many versions of MediaBox on your tablet as you like.

Thanks for so much information.

Originally Posted by 412b View Post
- Bugs:
1. UI/Code: Related to fast actions and switching (screenshots 1, 2)
Yes, there is some race-condition. It doesn't brake the application but it
looks ugly. I'm aware of this but it's not a show-stopper for holding back a release.
One day this will surely be fixed. But I cannot promise that it'll be fixed in 0.96.

2. Code: Image gallery thumbnailing. When image type is unrecognized thumbnail generating fails and the rest pictures in the list have no thumbs at all. (log 1). I'm not using Python (but planning to), so from my point of Java view a try-catch issue.
Python is very similar to Java in that regard, and I think you're right. This definitely sounds like a try-catch issue.

Not bugs, but IMO some improvement needed:
1. UI: In Browser view:
- Device icon is out of screen (some part of it is under the topbar). Some alignment needed, probably...(Or kinematic scrolling also?). Same in Settings.
- No D-Pad support (I guess yet).
Scrolling is disabled when there are not enough items in the list. Some alignment is needed
instead. Keyboard support is planned.

2. Arrow in bottom left corner opens a modules menu, but doesn't close it when tapping it. But sometimes I want to return w/o looking for the modules I'm in right now.
Note taken.

Feature requests:
1. UI: "Now playing" feature somewhere in UI (it seems to be mentioned).
Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean a popup window telling you that a new track starts?

2. D-Pad Left/Right for Prev/Next.
Good idea.

3. Still shuffle and repeat (please, please, please... Just 2 little things to make it perfect ).
This is on my TODO list for 0.96.

4. More settings to configure. E.g. for using MPlayer as backend.
I plan on making a preferences module for choosing between mplayer and osso-media-server depending on the file type. But it's not started yet, so it might not make it into 0.96 yet.

5. Documentation for making themes... Just a bit... A piece...
This will come with 0.96 as well as documentation for how to make plugins.

6. I've got an idea of making a home applet to control MediaBox. I guess via D-Bus, so it would be nice to have a documentation about D-Bus messages and MediaBox.
D-Bus control will be handled via a plugin. This will come in 0.96, but right now there's no D-Bus interface available yet in the SVN version.

If there is documentation, then I apologize for being inattentive.
No need to apologize. There's no documentation yet.

7. Probably a kind of localization.
Yes, I'm thinking of some kind of gettext-based localization.

I can submit it all to garage page for any purpose and ready to help.
Best wishes.
This would be great. So they don't get lost.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 462 | Thanked: 550 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Moscow
At Garage:
Commited bugs: 2797, 2798.
Feature requests: 2799, 2800, 2801, 2802.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Can you explain this a bit more? Do you mean a popup window telling you that a new track starts?
[This feature is not in Feature Requests at Garage]
It all is about being out of the module, which contents is playing.
1. It may be a popup, when changing tracks.
2. A button (it's even more friendly then just a popup) somewhere on the bars to show a popup (or whatever... e.g dock/window like "Loading" one) with information about currently playing track and in which module, 'cause sometimes I get lost, when switching through the modules, where track is playing (e.g. Playlist/Player or Music). Also that popup can contain some control buttons (e.g. Prev, Next, Play, Pause).

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I plan on making a preferences module for choosing between mplayer and osso-media-server depending on the file type. But it's not started yet, so it might not make it into 0.96 yet.
It's really nice. But in fact I was about something more specific. Like setting the keys for MPlayer (framedropping, OSD, etc). A kind of configuration GUI for backend parameters.

Also I figured out something more
[Not in Feature Requests]
1. Volume. It would be nice to load the last volume level at startup. And to have the same volume in each module (it logically comes from previous idea).
2. Equalizer... Would be nice. But I'm not sure about libs etc, that can be used for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 412b For This Useful Post:
I'd second having the volume level maintained between sessions. Not worried about an Equalizer though. Seems a lot of work for no real benefit.

Hi pycage you have done some good work in this release with radio working good as well as the added button thanks a lot, do you have documentation so far?
Thanks again

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2008-09-15 at 19:03.

Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
Hi pycage you have done some good work in this release with radio working good as well as the added button thanks a lot, do you a documentation so far?
Thanks again
Do you mean developer's documentation or user's documentation? I plan on doing both, but it takes time.

Tags
media player, mediabox