Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by PeterI View Post
Other than that it depends on your budget (very much like NY) and where you're staying.
If you have the budget, one of the best meals I have ever had anywhere was at Le Gavroche.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others. Many posters are childish, some are outright immature. Personal attacks, sarcastic remarks and the lack of respect to other members are missing far too often. Being too emotional and in some cases fanatic turns some threads into flame wars. There is so much that we can learn from the iPhone community.

Disclaimer: I don't own an iPhone and don't plan to own one either, but I follow their forums to learn their perspective and I can tell you that they are so much more civilized than we are.

Before you start posting insulting remarks to this thread take a deep breath and check out some of the iPhone forums out there and LEARN that there is a better way.

Peace.
Don't necessarily agree with your choice of words but must say I agree with what you are getting at in general. Never been on the iphone forum so can't comment on it. Can comment on this site though and the attitude here is just generally bad. If you say anything remotely critical about the N900 it is like you have committed blasphemy against God.

The device is great but there are tons of things which are just bad and shouldn't be the case in a device costing over $600. But if you dare point out any flaws in the device you get ridiculous answers like stop whining; go get an iphone; sell the device; I don't have that problem so I couldn't care less, etc.

If the developers here who we are expected to resolve issues with the device or work with Nokia to resolve them, cannot even accept when there is a flaw then what hope is there that anything is going to be fixed?!!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Can comment on this site though and the attitude here is just generally bad. If you say anything remotely critical about the N900 it is like you have committed blasphemy against God.
That's an extreme, incorrect and unfair characterization of this good community and its members.

It is beyond disingenuous to blame the thousands of good and largely silent people for the inhospitable actions of a loud and obnoxious few-- most of whom are newcomers and in no way represent the true spirit of this community.

You're of course entitled to your own opinion, however ill-formed, but just know that such rank generalizations tend to foster self-fulfilling, defeating and ironic prophecies.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-12-23 at 20:20.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
This community is full of egotistical, i-know-it-all type geeks that have no respect for others.
All right. Collect your toys and go play in some other sandbox. Bye bye.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
I love this community, it's helpful and has a good soul. It's just overwhelmed right know because of Nokia's stupid decision to create a f* phone instead of an internet tablet and is therefore transforming into something else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derhorst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
If the developers here who we are expected to resolve issues with the device or work with Nokia to resolve them, cannot even accept when there is a flaw then what hope is there that anything is going to be fixed?!!
Do you have specific examples of actual flaws that not being acknowledged? Not everyone will have the same Use Case as yourself so what you consider a flaw might be someone else's preferred method.

Community Developers don't generally get paid or rewarded for their efforts. The applications and utilities are time consuming in general to produce so if you feel another way of doing things is the best route then feel free to either learn how yourself or put your cash up & hire a developer at commercial rates: you might not like the rates.

If you have issues with Nokia's software then fine, there is a well established method for reporting bugs but please provide sensible information so developers can recreate the issue to resolve it. If they can't recreate it then user error is often consider the problem.

The final and possibly most obvious thought though is that the N900 is intended for 'Early Adopters' which in plain speak means people who like to play and fiddle/fix things themselves. Just because theris a buzz about the device it doesn't change the intended market place.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
The final and possibly most obvious thought though is that the N900 is intended for 'Early Adopters' which in plain speak means people who like to play and fiddle/fix things themselves. Just because theris a buzz about the device it doesn't change the intended market place.
If I never hear this type of comment again, it will be too soon. In no way shape or form has Nokia tried to restrict the N900 to early adopters or tried to explain its limitations to shoppers. The fact that a few of us had heard of "step 4 of 5" doesn't mean that Nokia mentioned it to shoppers.

If you go to NokiaUSA, the N900 is the first phone mentioned with its own banner at the top of the page. If you try find products, phones, it's the third phone listed. If you go to the N900 page, there is nothing to indicate that the N900 is not intended for the mainstream phone users.

An early adopter phone is one you don't hear about, like the Android Dev Phone 1 which you have to register for in order to get (http://developer.android.com/guide/d...ng/device.html). It's made by HTC but when you list phones on their web site it doesn't show up.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
If you go to NokiaUSA, the N900 is the first phone mentioned with its own banner at the top of the page. If you try find products, phones, it's the third phone listed. If you go to the N900 page, there is nothing to indicate that the N900 is not intended for the mainstream phone users.
Considering the mess of a launch that Nokia's stores did I would say it's more a result of one arm not talking to the other arm.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Guys, guys.. stop the fight please. Some of us may be is pushy but most of us are here for the same reason. Is to communicate to each other and learn from each other.

Don't be like some geek that bully one another. If someone is newbie, then please help him out. Be very helpful and friendly. Some of us might be offended by some of the arrogant people here. But yet don't let a few people spoiling our peace.

:-) its X-mas soon therefore please forgive and move on.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I'm sure that this community is not perfect, but I wonder if Nokia N900 fans would resort to this if someone trashed their phone...

Tags
fatalsaint is funny, known troll, self-fulfilling prophecy