Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Also...
Anssi Vanjoki: “My hair stands on end” over Nokia’s fall

Vanjoki was a frontrunner for the Nokia CEO position after former chief Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo was ousted from the firm. However, the Nokia Board opted for ex-Microsoft exec Stephen Elop – who promptly led the company into the loving arms of Windows Phone 7 – and Vanjoki resigned, claiming “the time has come to seek new opportunities.”
Absolutely agree with this !.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
On the bright side - having Nokia around can be good, so the other bigger boys won't get complacent and repeat Nokia's case?
Right! Their new logo should be a punching bag and a new slogan, "Reminding people"
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
you guys are all really, really dumb

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Unfortunately these days it isn't just about the platform itself, but the ecosystem around it. This doesn't only mean availability of apps, but also things like browser detection all around the web.

This is why life is a bit hard for people on less popular mobile operating systems. I should know, my current devices are a Harmattan phone and a webOS tablet

Of course, MeeGo has a great opportunity for building the ecosystem around it, but that needs devices developers (both app and web) want to target.
harmattan is webkit so i doubt it life its hard for you.

anything made with gecko and webkit can run everything.

specially browser like the one n9.

n9 got everything built in, even skype, wp7 lacks.

apps will come thanks to the symbian + QT synergy. couple with the ovi store it would be a really competitive ecosystem under nokia.

now with wp7 nokia give up all that, bets for a loosing platform Q2 sales over 11+models its just 1.5m

Last edited by jo21; 2011-08-03 at 07:47.

Originally Posted by keflex View Post
you guys are all really, really dumb
No, you are!

New Nokia logo?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-03 at 07:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Is Nokia's pain Apple's gain?
Apple has managed to clinch the number one position in the Q2 global smartphone market as Nokia's shipments declined to 16.7 million units, down from 24.2 million in the previous quarter.

According to IHS, Nokia posted the "worst performance" amongst leading smartphone brands in Q2 2011 as it faced fierce competition from Apple, Samsung and HTC.

"With the announcement of the transition in early 2011, Nokia eliminated any incentive for consumers and developers to buy into its existing smartphone products, which are based on its Symbian and MeeGo operating systems," said Teng.
Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-feat...in-apples-gain

The Smartphone Wars: Nokia’s Suicide Note
All the old reasons a WP7 commitment was a bad idea remain problems under the new order. WP7 has bombed in its first quarter; there’s actual evidence that it’s not competitive. This means that the alliance does nothing to address Nokia’s historic weakness in the North American market. Then, too, it’s going to take time to get WP7 to market on Nokia hardware; one of their press releases describes 2011 and 2012 as “transition years”, a pretty strong hint that Nokia thinks both business units will have to struggle through a valley of death and shrinking Symbian sales before the new plan starts to bear fruit.

(Would an Android port take less time? Yes. Judging by current product cycle times for Android handsets, port time for the handset makers has to be bounded above by 90 days. My bet is that Android port time is actually down to two weeks and change. History matters; the Android codebase is designed to be ported in ways Microsoft is probably culturally incapable of even imagining.)
Source: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2931

Nokia 'considering move to Silicon Valley'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...silicon-valley

Last edited by danramos; 2011-08-04 at 08:26.

from Jo Harlow, EVP smart devices, talks leadership in wireless
NC: Looking back over the last 12 months, what accomplishments are you personally most proud of?

JH: There are a number of things I’m proud of and not necessarily just things I’ve achieved, but what Nokia and its staff have achieved together.

I’m very proud of the relationship Nokia has established with Microsoft. We have genuine respect for each other and the relationship is very natural. Nokia and Microsoft have embraced the challenges ahead together and are striving forward in a proactive way, with a shared passion for our collective goals. I’m certain, once the first Nokia with Windows Phone comes out, I’ll feel very proud.

The other thing I’m proud of is the Symbian and MeeGo side of our business. Through a lot of turmoil and changes, the staff has demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to their work. So I feel proud to be associated with them.
either she is high on gawd knows what or, even seen from the horse's stomach, it isn't quite that bad...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
from Jo Harlow, EVP smart devices, talks leadership in wireless

either she is high on gawd knows what or, even seen from the horse's stomach, it isn't quite that bad...
She never did actually mention any achievements during those last 12 months, unless you want to count that said that they started to work with Microsoft. That's hardly an achievement. For one--how will Nokia's Windows Phone 7 phones be any different than anyone else's?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Soon enough, the new line will be, "This used to be talk.MAEMO.org..."

BTW:
Apple the world’s largest smartphone vendor, Samsung knocks Nokia from 2nd place
http://www.techjournalsouth.com/2011...rom-2nd-place/

Seems like Nokia is on a RAPID decline--worldwide.
Symbian enginers killed Meego in hope to save symbian instead
Mr Flop killed symbian

Now MrFlop saying WP7 will save Nokia.

personally I dont give a **** anymore both media and MrFlop are tottally out of control and all is spreading FUD. bussines as usual.

Media following what the people prefer atm (=android and IOS)
in some year when MicroNokia has brainwatched media and people
they pissing on android/ios and saying wp8 is sooo cool.

but I am not a follower so I will stick with something else...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-08-04 at 10:20.

She never did actually mention any achievements during those last 12 months, unless you want to count that said that they started to work with Microsoft. That's hardly an achievement. For one--how will Nokia's Windows Phone 7 phones be any different than anyone else's?
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
[...]
I’m very proud of the relationship Nokia has established with Microsoft. We have genuine respect for each other and the relationship is very natural. Nokia and Microsoft have embraced the challenges ahead together and are striving forward in a proactive way, with a shared passion for our collective goals. I’m certain, once the first Nokia with Windows Phone comes out, I’ll feel very proud.
[...]
i'm myself a m@ke$$h!t foe of the 1st hr
(started installing SuSE and RedHat next to OS/2 2.1 back in '94...)
still, there is more to working together w/ m$ then merely going to ruin even if the rational may be to difficult to explain in a forum like this one (water point, apes dancing around & threatening each other...)
and the bone...

EDIT: edited URLs...

Last edited by misterc; 2011-08-04 at 10:54.

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, no-kia