Notices

I use Evince to open my PDF files (I prefer it over the regular PDF reader).

Though for some reason this version of Evince won't install due to a missing libglade error.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I don't read long PDF files, but I do read short PDF files and PDF books, which are pretty long. I just downloaded the most recent version of Evince and must report that I am very happy! The hardware buttons work very nicely, I especially enjoy your Special Mode! Thank you for giving us this wonderful application that makes my N800 even more enjoyable!

When trying to upgrade to the latest evince, I am getting:
Get:1 http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free evince 2.21.1-1.maemo7 [560kB]
Fetched 565kB in 2s (219kB/s)
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...emo7_armel.deb Size mismatch
Same in Application Manager.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Thanks Ed! I appreciate your work very, very much. I didn't even think of checking to see if DJVU support was broken.

I've been very busy due to work and visiting relatives. Any free time I have with my N800 has almost exclusively been spent reading a few PDFs on C++ development. I'm hoping to become a contributor myself to programs for Maemo Linux.

I had to force install the latest Evince as powerlaunch is broken on my N800. The new Evince wanted libglade-2.0 installed, but it was already installed. After force-installing Evince, now it is broken as well. My day off (Sundays) will probably have to be devoted to flashing my N800 and reinstalling everything. &%*$ powerlaunch!

PS: The latest Evince, despite being broken due to powerlaunch, appears to open PDFs and DJVU files correctly. PDF files seem to open much quicker. But during the force install of Evince many errors occured.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I finally got powerlaunch uninstalled, so uninstalled Evince so I could reinstall it correctly (and do some testing). But as reported earlier by fms, the deb is reported as corrupt.

I think the version I downloaded yesterday (?) was evince_2.21.1-1.maemo8_armel.deb, but the file on the server is evince_2.21.1-1.maemo7_armel.deb and was uploaded today.

So now I can't even install Evince because the support packages won't install.

Update: I used apt-get to "download" all the packages (apt-get install evince), then moved the debs out of /var/cache/apt/archives and installed the support files in Red Pill Mode using the Application Manager, then installed evince_2.21.1-1.maemo6_armel.deb.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Last edited by OSEmuTech; 2008-04-05 at 01:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Thank you for your good words about evince. I thought that primary usage of it was reading djvu documents, but it seems I was wrong. People use it mostly for reading PDFS, which is also good, but a bit strange considering the fact that device has PDF viewer installed out-of-the box.

Now about the current issue: I've re-uploaded evince maemo7 build to the repo. Can you try to install it again and report your findings, please? It seems that it depends on wrong libglade version or something like that. And it also possible that something wrong happened to the repository itself. I'm investigating the issue now. Your help will be appreciated.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
I am unable to install evince. It says that the software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system. Contact software author.

cheers

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ed_

Just want to say thank you for this brilliant program. i use it more than bundled pdf program.

build 11 installs fine for me..

Originally Posted by johsua View Post
I am unable to install evince. It says that the software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system. Contact software author.

cheers
I got the same problem as you said when i tried to installed it just now.

Installation problem should be fixed in maemo8 build. I've just uploaded it to the repo. Please, try to install and test it.

qwerty12: What's build 11?

Ed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed_ For This Useful Post: