Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I have no problems with word importing, with the last build, except that images are not imported (I'll file a bug later). Text is Ok. So control your setup, Robbè.

OK, I have uploaded a completely rebuilt stack for Chinook. All users please re-read these instructions carefully (as they have changed) and upgrade.

If you are using ITOS 2007 (and possibly earlier?) you want the Bora version. If you are running ITOS 2008, you want the Chinook version. In both cases, you only need .deb files that mention armel or all.

To install, use red pill mode.

Bora users:
Install from a repository:
defoma
libgsf1-114
libglade2 (if not already installed)

Download from me and install in this order:
gsfonts
libwmf0.2
libwmf-bin
libwv
libenchant
libfribidi0
abiword

Chinook users:
Install from a repository:
defoma
libgsf1-114
libfribidi0
libglade2 (if not already installed)

Download from me and install in this order::
gsfonts
libwmf0.2
libwmf-bin
libwv
libenchant
abiword

Get AbiWord and the dependencies from the newest folder (named YYYYMMDD) that they are in. If you are upgrading from a previous beta, please check in Red Pill Mode for updates to the dependencies listed above, and install if available.

Note that the complicated install here really just boils down to minor details that will go away once this is in an actual repository and the Application Manager can handle dependencies for us.

Known major issues:
The on screen keyboard does not work - in order to enter text, you might need a bluetooth keyboard. (I have no idea why this is, I will look into it soon. Bug filed.)
Handling of tables seems to be pretty rough, inducing hangs and/or crashes. Use care and report bugs.
You can only save as ABW format by default. To save as a different format, create a blank doc in a different format on another computer, then copy it on. You can open this and then save-as to create documents in that format. (bug filed)

Please report any bugs found to http://bugzilla.abisource.com/ and be sure to include the version number of AbiWord's package which looks something like 2.5.99+pre200800201+test1 as well as the build platform (bora or chinook). Make sure you set the component to "Front End - Maemo" since the basic functionality and much more works fine on desktop platofmrs. Note that the package version includes both a build date (YYYYMMDD) and a build number - the build number is for that day. (That means that +pre20080130+test1 is newer than +pre20080128+test2) (The about box says 2.6.0, don't trust it.)

If you feel like a power user and want to provide even better feedback, here's how to use GDB to get better data on crashes or hangs:
First, find something that causes a crash or a hang. Install gdb using red pill mode or apt-get, then from an xterm run "gdb abiword", type r then hit enter. AbiWord will start, now make it crash or hang. Back in xterm. If it's a hang, press Ctrl-C. In either case, type bt and hit enter in the xterm. Copy and paste what you see into a bug report. If you have set up ssh, you can ssh in to the tablet and do the gdb abiword from a desktop - it will run on the device but you'll have the debug messages on a regular computer, perhaps easier to copy and paste out.
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I did it all, but in order to install the new build of abiword I hade to update libglade2-0 1:2.4.0-1osso2 with libglade2-0 1:2.6.2-1indt1. So, apt-get decided to remove osso-software-version which depends on the older version of libglade2.
Will I regret for this decision?

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I did it all, but in order to install the new build of abiword I hade to update libglade2-0 1:2.4.0-1osso2 with libglade2-0 1:2.6.2-1indt1. So, apt-get decided to remove osso-software-version which depends on the older version of libglade2.
Will I regret for this decision?
Got same issue, (n810 real device), I preferred to keep liglade2-0 1:2.4.0-1osso2, and to install my own compiled abiword and libfribidi0; all the rest came from last chinook packages from megabyte405.

It runs ok, and finally I can import and save .doc.

Roberto

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
OK, I have uploaded a completely rebuilt stack for Chinook.
Known major issues:
The on screen keyboard does not work - in order to enter text, you might need a bluetooth keyboard. (I have no idea why this is, I will look into it soon. Bug filed.)
confirmed

Handling of tables seems to be pretty rough, inducing hangs and/or crashes. Use care and report bugs.
confirmed, inserting a table freezes the program. I will try to track the problem with GDB as suggested, but I guess i will need an abiword binary with debuggin enabled. At the moment I am stuck with my own compiled package, see my previous message to debernardis.

Roberto.

The binaries I'm putting up all have debugging enabled. There is no fribidi0 in the new build because it is apparently in Maemo Chinook already in a newer version, which is why I suggest looking for upgrades in red pill mode - the other one replaced the one I built, which I am just fine with.

Sorry for the libglade goof - someone should really track down and remove the newer libglade or at least fix it. I've uploaded a 20080218+test2 build without that problem.
(PS - to get back the old version of libglade you can run:
apt-get install libglade2-0=1:2.4.0-1osso2
then install the removed package if it is important to you. I have no idea its function or why the new libglade conflicts with it.)

The issues I pointed out aren't the only ones, just the big ones that people might be likely to hit easily. If you want to help, here is a link to the list of Maemo bugs that could use some troubleshooting and fixing:
http://bugzilla.abisource.com/buglis...nt+End+-+Maemo

If you trust me , here's a tinyurl version: http://tinyurl.com/ypalzg

Last edited by megabyte405; 2008-02-18 at 16:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to megabyte405 For This Useful Post:
The binaries I'm putting up all have debugging enabled. There is no fribidi0 in the new build because it is apparently in Maemo Chinook already in a newer version,
Yes, fribidi0 dependency was my own abisource build fault.

Sorry for the libglade goof - someone should really track down and remove the newer libglade or at least fix it. I've uploaded a 20080218+test2 build without that problem
Yes it works now

I have made a dump of a gdb run of abiword, (a regular run, not a crashing one); there are a lot of failed assertions like this:
*** (1) Assert ****
**** (1) pos2 > pos1 at fv_View.cpp:6278 ****
I will file a bug on abisource bugzilla with subject: "Failed assertions on maemo, n810" attaching the dump.

Roberto

Yeah, that assert seems to happen whenever we gain (and possibly lose?) focus on the main document. It's inside code that "should" be good so presumably the Maemo part is giving the "good" part bad info, so to speak. I've made a note in the bug.

Yeah, that assert seems to happen whenever we gain (and possibly lose?) focus on the main document. It's inside code that "should" be good so presumably the Maemo part is giving the "good" part bad info, so to speak. I've made a note in the bug.
... and this bug was already filed, I should have looked better in bugzilla before posting. Anyway, it is a serious show stopper; it is almost impossible to trace execution with gdb, the flow stops at every click or so; is there a way to skip that assertion?

rob

Easiest thing to do is to run AbiWord in GDB in an SSH terminal on a regular PC - the assert only comes up when we lose and regain focus, so if you don't switch away from Abi on the tablet (to an xterm for instance) you can just hit y to continue on a desktop a few times at startup. Hopefully someone will be able to trace this back and see where the problem comes in.